Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with it not being worth the hassle except for his statement: "April for WA. That cuts it too fine for my May 5 Leaf lease return."
I had been thinking of going from Albuquerque to Phoenix to get a replacement for my Leave which barely has enough range for my commute on cold days (with coat, gloves, and no heat).

2011RedLeaf said:
I agree with it not being worth the hassle except for his statement: "April for WA. That cuts it too fine for my May 5 Leaf lease return."
I had been thinking of going from Albuquerque to Phoenix to get a replacement for my Leave which barely has enough range for my commute on cold days (with coat, gloves, and no heat).

yeah well if he has the extra lease miles, I am betting he can stretch that a few weeks here and there. might get billed an extra month but why not? besides, someone mentioned that Chevy was not allowing out of state purchases any more.

NOGASHOLE's issue with a <5 year old leaf that may be economically unrepairable got me to wondering what the Bolt warranty is like, probably already discussed here but looks like 8 years. Here's a link to the owners manual

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals_and_Videos/02_pdf/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-owners-manual.pdf

LTLFTcomposite said:
NOGASHOLE's issue with a <5 year old leaf that may be economically unrepairable got me to wondering what the Bolt warranty is like, probably already discussed here but looks like 8 years. Here's a link to the owners manual
And the warranty is only as good as the company that stands behind it.

Tesla and Toyota: Exceptional
Nissan and GM: Piss poor

SageBrush said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

Teslas aren't so good when expensive things like need replacing like $800+ per Model S door handle. Sure, their in warranty service is generally reported to be excellent, but I've seen plenty of reports of VERY long wait times to get their vehicles looked at. Service centers are simply overloaded.

And, parts are reportedly expensive (example: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/elon-i-think-it%E2%80%99s-terrible-to-make-a-profit-on-service.65766/).

As for Nissan, I've had Nissans going as far back as late 2001 and I'm on my 4th one. I had a gap of no Nissan from mid-2011 to my 1st Leaf in July 2013. Longest was my 04 350Z that I had from around Labor Day of 03 until mid-2011. I can't recall any significant out of warranty repairs needed on the Z.

I've not had issues w/getting stuff fixed under warranty. My mom's 07 Altima Hybrid (leftover bought in early 08) has been ok except for one major problem (cylinder head carboned up needing replacement, after powertrain warranty expired). Nissan corporate was willing to cover the part cost but not labor, so it was over a $2K+ repair.

SageBrush said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

You probably should take into account that you can buy a Bolt or Leaf and just throw it out and buy a second before you arrive at the cost of even one currently available Tesla. It remains to be seen how good Tesla will be with reliability and warranties on the Model 3. It will be sold in much larger numbers than anything they have done before.

Nagorak said:
SageBrush said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

You probably should take into account that you can buy a Bolt or Leaf and just throw it out and buy a second before you arrive at the cost of even one currently available Tesla. It remains to be seen how good Tesla will be with reliability and warranties on the Model 3. It will be sold in much larger numbers than anything they have done before.
There are many reasons to choose one car over another, but regarding the point about companies standing behind their warranties, my earlier post is true.

In a perverse way, I'm fortunate to have bought a used LEAF. Few expectations of warranty work that Nissan tries to weasel out of. And of course I only paid 1/3rd the cost of a new car so I'm in a good position to self-insure.

It will be interesting to see if we ever hear what really happened. The Bolt probably does have hidden autonomous recall software that would allow it to move without the key. And the wife would be highly motivated to lie about wrecking the workbench in a brand new car that she is unfamiliar with.

sendler2112 said:
It will be interesting to see if we ever hear what really happened. The Bolt probably does have hidden autonomous recall software that would allow it to move without the key. And the wife would be highly motivated to lie about wrecking the workbench in a brand new car that she is unfamiliar with.

You and I have different priorities...

I would hope the wife would stop lying before having a GM engineer come out and everything. That's pretty extreme just to cover up a pretty minor mistake.

Back