Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sendler2112 said:
Several people on the Bolt forum are complaining of a very uncomfortable seat...

They didn't really have to buy the car to discover that, I sat in one at the LA Auto show a couple of minutes and it was literally painfully obvious this car wasn't made for me.

Valdemar said:
sendler2112 said:
Several people on the Bolt forum are complaining of a very uncomfortable seat...

They didn't really have to buy the car to discover that, I sat in one at the LA Auto show a couple of minutes and it was literally painfully obvious this car wasn't made for me.

So its just like a Prius?

rmay635703 said:
Valdemar said:
sendler2112 said:

No idea, I skipped the Prius completely as I had no interest in it.

Valdemar said:
rmay635703 said:
Valdemar said:

No idea, I skipped the Prius completely as I had no interest in it.
If it's as good as our Prius('07) I'd be perfectly happy, unfortunately from what I've read I doubt it is :(
When you look at the designer of the Bolt(looks to be 6'3 and 170lbs tops, down right anorexic IMO) I can see why. Most people saying the Bolt has acceptable seats seem to be in the 140-160 weight range and while I was like that 20 years ago, I ain't like that anymore :oops: I'm still going to try sitting in the Bolt but have almost 0% confidence it will suit me :( Which IMO is quite idiotic, why design a car that fits a small percentage of the American public. Most Americans what roomy cars(which is why SUVs are so popular) not cramped cockpit style cars, and no, vehicle size has little to do with roominess, I've owned much smaller cars than the Chevy Volt(and probably Bolt) and haven't had a problem, I'm at a loss as to why Chevy is designing like they are doing :? The Leaf isn't all that big of a car but I have no issue with the Leaf seats, if the Bolt(or Volt) had seats(and seating area roominess) like the Leaf I may have been driving a Chevy, not a Nissan.

I did a test drive of the Bolt. Exterior was not bad, performance was good but the interior was not inspiring. Hope GM uses the Bolt platform and running gear in a more upscale vehicle, I think it would be worth a higher price tag.

Valdemar said:
sendler2112 said:

For those that have sat in both the Bolt as well as the new 2016/17 Volts, how would you say the seats compare?

The Bolt is presently unavailable in our area (have heard it will be sometime by mid-year) so I haven't been able to drive one yet to know if it suffers from the same type of seating as the Volt.

I've recently been in several test drives of the 2017 Volt and one of my chief complaints is the drivers seat is very uncomfortable. It feels like there is something hard along the left side edge of the seat and that there is insufficient padding and support there.

I generally like the Volt otherwise, but between the uncomfortable seat and low door frame that I keep hitting my head on when getting in and out, it's enough of a problem I'd not want to have to deal with everyday. I'm not tall (5'5") nor particularly wide, but one of the things I really like about the Leaf is how comfortable the seats are and how easy it is to get in and out. Had a similar dislike about hitting my head on the door frame of the Model S as well.

I think there is a joke about needing to have some sense knocked into me somewhere in there... :lol:

Thanks!

It's not just bolsters, the seats cup in, with all the seats they could have used they chose these most likely to cut costs. I'm not super tall or big and I thought they were too "cupped" and I like very bolstered and narrow seats but these just seem to be a poor design choice.

The seats they chose cut weight and cost, I'm 6'3" and 180, apparently they are fine for me just like the Prius seats people complain about
Prius chat has what over a hundred posts about uncomfortable seats?
I have seen a dozen seat is fine for me and a dozen it's terrible posts specific to the bolt, will have to wait to see if it's a non issue like the painful Prius seat issue.

If your sensitive go to a seat shop and have them build whatever you need
Few car seats are built like 1980's lounge chairs anymore

Another report of significant charging rate limitations by the Bolt BMS, this one showing a drop (to less than 40 kW) at only ~50% SOC:

DC Fast Charge data
I sat on the charger for 90 minutes tonight to get a better idea of the various tapers the car undergoes as it is charged. The main takeaway is that the tapers are not gradual, they are hard drops in charging power. The first drop I noticed was around 50% charge, then another around 70%, and then another around 80ish%. I ended up around 85% charged and pulling in around 16 kW at that time. Ambient temperature is around 60F...
http://boltev.blogspot.com/2017/01/dc-fast-charge-data.html

Anyone seen a Bolt charge rate report from a DC charger capable of more than ~50 kW?

edatoakrun said:
Chevy Bolt EV 1,100 Mile Road Trip Summary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMgZT2WBXQo

Reports (~3 minutes into the video) the Bolt's charge taper on a ~45 kW charger begins @ ~65% SOC.

See Ioniq on a ~100 kW charger report for comparison:

edatoakrun said:
~20 kWh charge accepted in ~19 minutes.

Slowly increases from ~60 kW to ~70 kW (perhaps due in part to pack warming?) until charge rate begins to taper after reaching > 75% capacity.

Charging Hyundai Ioniq on 100 kW CCS
Bjørn Nyland

Published on Jan 16, 2017
Hyundai Ioniq supports up to 70 kW via the CCS plug. I tested this on a 100 kW Delta charger at Vestby, Norway last night. Peak power was 69.3 which was pretty close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb3gJ8fWW5g
Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21136&start=90

OakLeaf said:
Valdemar said:
sendler2112 said:

For those that have sat in both the Bolt as well as the new 2016/17 Volts, how would you say the seats compare?

I test drove the Volt for about 30 minutes and didn't have any major disagreements with the seats. But everyone's anatomy is different, so you'd need to try for yourself.

EVDRIVER said:
It's not just bolsters, the seats cup in, with all the seats they could have used they chose these most likely to cut costs. I'm not super tall or big and I thought they were too "cupped" and I like very bolstered and narrow seats but these just seem to be a poor design choice.

Yup, "cupped" is the word to describe them.

OakLeaf said:
...I generally like the Volt otherwise, but between the uncomfortable seat and low door frame that I keep hitting my head on when getting in and out, it's enough of a problem I'd not want to have to deal with everyday. I'm not tall (5'5") nor particularly wide, but one of the things I really like about the Leaf is how comfortable the seats are and how easy it is to get in and out. Had a similar dislike about hitting my head on the door frame of the Model S as well...
I drove a first gen Volt for 90 miles and my experience was much the same as yours. By contrast I found the LEAF very comfortable. My Model S seats are relatively uncomfortable compared to the LEAF — I don't have the upgraded seats — but I am fairly used to them and have spent much more time in them due to long road trips — the periodic Supercharger stops are a help. But getting in and out of the S is awkward; I did set an exit profile but decided it was too slow and more trouble than it is worth. Part of the problem is that the car is low to the ground and I have the seat quite far back so the door frame is in the way (my LEAF seat was as far back as it would go but was higher and easier to get in and out).

I'll be interested to see reports from people who have driven both the Volt and Bolt comparing the seats and seating position. I presume that the Bolt is a bit higher and less awkward to enter and exit, but that's just a guess based on pictures (I've never actually seen one, no surprise).

My original 2011 and 2012 LEAF were very comfortable, and the newer ones are even moreso.

I have ridden in the new Volt for a very short trip and I found it to be reasonably comfortable and nicely appointed.

My Tesla model S has the Recaro second generation seat and I find it very comfortable.

I'm not a big fan of the original Tesla seat.

The Bolt EV, however, I found uncomfortable.

I can't compare it to a Prius because I don't know that I have ever sat in one.

I'll have to try the seats and see.. Hmmm

Interesting (to me) side question.
And I don't want this to be a political side-track. There's a thread for that..
So, I am not asking whether or not it's likely that the $7,500 rebate will be repealed or whether or not it should be...

What I am wondering is, IF it is repealed this year, does that mean that it wouldn't be in effect if I bought a Bolt (or any EV) this year?
i.e. Let's say I buy a Bolt in April, and then in October, the rebate is pulled.. Does that mean I wouldn't get the rebate?
If it's pulled, it's pulled for the year? Or if its pulled, it's only pulled for people purchasing after it was pulled?

If it is possible that it might be pulled and that might mean I wouldn't get the rebate, that will probably affect my purchase decision..
(At least, maybe I wait till late December to be safe?)

Or am I thinking about this all wrong?

Thanx,

desiv
(and again, if you think it will or won't be pulled, that's fine.. Not the point of my question.. Don't want to de-rail this thread.. ;-)

There is a whole topic on the tax credit maybe being pulled. I'm involved in a bet on the subject. The interesting thing is, the Bolt lease may be one of the few to not change if that credit goes away. Why? GM is only giving $2500 of it up front, and is using the other $5k to inflate the residual. They tell us this will help us (by reducing the lease taxes a little), but not if we want to buy that Bolt later on! Since their lease deal is so Crappy now, they wouldn't be able to make it worse if the credit goes away - they'd have to eat the $2500 and keep giving it as CCR. The residual? Who knows, but few are likely to want to buy a used Bolt for $25k after paying $15k for a 39 month lease on it.

Test drove a Bolt today.. a tad more spartan interior compared to the Leaf or Volt2 but I found the seats acceptable..
Certainly can't complain about the range or acceleration.
It's not trivial to get the car to shift in reverse (or drive), hard to see how someone could do it accidentally.

LeftieBiker said:
The interesting thing is, the Bolt lease may be one of the few to not change if that credit goes away.
I wish a lease was an option for me..
But I drive 25k a year, so there would be a LOT of extra mile charges.. ;-)

desiv

desiv said:
I'll have to try the seats and see.. Hmmm

Interesting (to me) side question.
And I don't want this to be a political side-track. There's a thread for that..
So, I am not asking whether or not it's likely that the $7,500 rebate will be repealed or whether or not it should be...

What I am wondering is, IF it is repealed this year, does that mean that it wouldn't be in effect if I bought a Bolt (or any EV) this year?
i.e. Let's say I buy a Bolt in April, and then in October, the rebate is pulled.. Does that mean I wouldn't get the rebate?
If it's pulled, it's pulled for the year? Or if its pulled, it's only pulled for people purchasing after it was pulled?

If it is possible that it might be pulled and that might mean I wouldn't get the rebate, that will probably affect my purchase decision..
(At least, maybe I wait till late December to be safe?)

Or am I thinking about this all wrong?

Thanx,

desiv
(and again, if you think it will or won't be pulled, that's fine.. Not the point of my question.. Don't want to de-rail this thread.. ;-)

it wont get repealed...

why, you say since we have basically down to 9 of our Bill of Rights still intact so what is off limits?

well, the biggest 3 EV producers are Tesla, Nissan and Chevy and ALL of them are built in the US. hampering them would directly impact one thing that trump is trumpeting the most about; american jobs.

If the $7500 credit gets killed this year, GM will benefit. The Bolt lease, which now looks awful, will start to look more attractive as other EV leases go up without the $7500 applied. GM will just have to eat the measly $2500 CCR they pass on from the federal credit, but will win sales from other EVs.

Back