Clipper Creek - two lower red LED's blinking

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrockWI

I have a Clipper Creek HSC-40 and have had it since April of this year. The unit is inside an attached garage with the car inside as well. I have the charge timer set on our S to be done by 7:30 AM and this has worked out great. About a month ago I came out to the car to find the two lower red LED blinking on the Clipper Creek, I disconnected the car, flipped the breaker off and back on and plugged the car back in and it charged up enough to get us around that day. I figured it was just some fluke. Now last Wednesday it did the same thing, I thought ok, once a month isn't so bad, now this morning it did the same thing again. When I plug the car in in the evening, it clicks on for a few seconds than goes back to sleep, so the fault doesn't happen right away and looking at the state of charge it looks as if it got a percent or two back in the battery today before it faulted out.

In the manual it says "Internal EVSE fault. Call for service." I know I can call and will unless someone can tell me what the error might be? Is it something I could look at or potentially fix myself?

Thoughts?

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer, but based on the lack of ready responses, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Based on the other errors described in the manual, it does seem that whatever is going on is probably within the EVSE as all the external causes seem to be covered by other codes.

Could be a thermal issue, especially if the interval is getting shorter. You may have something heating up inside and getting worse with each use. Have you noticed the case getting warmer than normal at all when this has happened?

Either way, seems like a very solid company based on feedback. I'm sure they'll take care of you with that 3-year warranty.

Thats the weird thing, on Saturday morning I charged it from 25 to about 70 with no issues, no faults and nothing warm (that I could tell).

Did you ever get this sorted?

Our charger at my mother in laws was removed before some gutter work was done. I removed it.

We arrived yesterday for the holidays and when I went to plug it in, I’m now having this issue.

We had the same unit and the same thing happen to ours after about 2 years. After talking with Clipper Creek they sent me a new one and returned the existing one once I swapped them out. If I recall correctly it was an overly sensitive ground fault sensor on the control board. Then 2 years later our replacement unit started to do this again, unfortunately it was out of warrantee so I had the option of sending it in or purchasing a new board and replacing it myself, but that was over $100 at the time so I gave up and bought a different unit.

If the fault keeps happening more and more often I am guessing that is what it is. Ours was the same way that if it started to charge it was fine and would charge but sometimes it would fault out on startup.

Probably not what you wanted to hear and maybe that is not your problem.

Back