Considering purchasing first time. Have some last questions please.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
as far as good lease deals, I haven't tracked them very closely but they seem to be coming from all over

Not from Upstate NY, they aren't. Nor from Vermont or Western Mass.

guessing supply issues maybe controlling deals. I have to wait until after the 8th when my LEAF gets its return inspection done before I can do anything. I am worried that the prices will dry up the supply before I have a chance to get one

I could probably still get one, but paying over $300 a month for a 2016 leaf with Premium doesn't appeal nearly as much as paying over $300 a month for a 2017 leaf with - hopefully - 35+ kwh and better headlights. Maybe some more horsepower, too...

DaveinOlyWA said:
3) I don't know of anyone who decided to buy who paid anywhere near the full cost of the residual
The current lease deal is pretty attractive. Especially if I can get the $2000 state rebate NY signed into law on April,1st 2016 but hasn't implemented yet. To buy at the end would be about $17,500 plus tax total out of pocket for a new 2016 Leaf S24 with charging upgrade with the state rebate coming later if it is retroactive. If I had to pay the written residual of $8,365. How much lower do you think I could get for the buy out at the end? Can I expect to get the dealer to contibute to the discount right now?
Here's the deal posted at Nissan: The car I'm looking at in stock locally has an extra $1,700 for the big charger.
Excludes taxes, title, and license. $1,999 initial payment required at consummation. (Includes $1,800 consumer down payment, $199 first month payment.) (INCLUDES $11,625 manufacturer's rebate applied to $199/Month lease. Offer valid only when financed through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation.) Subject to residency restrictions.

2016 LEAF S trim Lease model 17016 subject to availability to well-qualified lessees through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation. $29,875 MSRP incl. destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $15,521 includes a $595 non-refundable acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may affect actual price set by dealer. Monthly payments total $7,164 At lease end, purchase for $8,365, plus purchase option fee up to $300 (except KS & WI), plus tax, or pay excess wear & use plus $0.15 per mile for mileage over 12,000 miles per year. Lessee is responsible for maintenance and repairs. A disposition fee is due at termination of lease term. No security deposit required. Must take delivery from new dealer stock. See participating dealer for details. Offer ends 12/05/2016.

Unless you only plan to drive less than 40 miles a day, always, a Leaf S isn't a good choice for New York State. You want an SV or SL with the heat pump heating system.

Not having the heat pump in the car they have in stock is a good point to negotiate some extra participation by the dealer. I drive 40 miles each way but can plug in (tech at an MB dealer) all day with 110v at work or L2 once in a while if needed. I can pre heat while plugged in L2 in the garage at home. And deice in the heated shop at work before heading home. I wonder if 1.4 kW charging will keep the battery warm when parked outside in 15F weather? I can also use my 12v heated jacket and glove liners with a 12v throw blanket to minimize the draw from the space heater.
How much does the space heater draw anyway? 3kW?
Is Nissan stil trying to make it's ZEV mandate numbers in NY state? All of the other manufacturers bailed out when the new EV roll out happened to coincide with the "Polar Vortex" in 2014. They were riddled with buy backs when the cars started running out of juice in frozen highway traffic jams on the way into NYC.
I already have a perfectly good Honda Fit and my 110 mpgUS Honda CBR250R to commute with so a give away price is needed (and the extra $2000 NY rebate) for me to buy a Leaf.

sendler2112 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
3) I don't know of anyone who decided to buy who paid anywhere near the full cost of the residual
The current lease deal is pretty attractive. Especially if I can get the $2000 state rebate NY signed into law on April,1st 2016 but hasn't implemented yet. To buy at the end would be about $17,500 plus tax total out of pocket for a new 2016 Leaf S24 with charging upgrade with the state rebate coming later if it is retroactive. If I had to pay the written residual of $8,365. How much lower do you think I could get for the buy out at the end? Can I expect to get the dealer to contibute to the discount right now?
Here's the deal posted at Nissan: The car I'm looking at in stock locally has an extra $1,700 for the big charger.
Excludes taxes, title, and license. $1,999 initial payment required at consummation. (Includes $1,800 consumer down payment, $199 first month payment.) (INCLUDES $11,625 manufacturer's rebate applied to $199/Month lease. Offer valid only when financed through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation.) Subject to residency restrictions.

2016 LEAF S trim Lease model 17016 subject to availability to well-qualified lessees through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation. $29,875 MSRP incl. destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $15,521 includes a $595 non-refundable acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may affect actual price set by dealer. Monthly payments total $7,164 At lease end, purchase for $8,365, plus purchase option fee up to $300 (except KS & WI), plus tax, or pay excess wear & use plus $0.15 per mile for mileage over 12,000 miles per year. Lessee is responsible for maintenance and repairs. A disposition fee is due at termination of lease term. No security deposit required. Must take delivery from new dealer stock. See participating dealer for details. Offer ends 12/05/2016.

I wouldn't consider 24 kwh any more. I am getting ready to pop on a 16 S with 30 kwh on what is essentially a "50% off sale"

considering the 24 kwh is end of life, I wouldn't recommend you buying unless you were well under 20 cents per mile OTD. the deal above is 24.9 cents before fees are added (don't include tax because I don't pay it)

So the current deal puts me at $17,500 plus tax out of pocket to own that car after leasing. Half price would be $15,300 for a 2016 Leaf S24 with charger. I would need the dealer to participate at an additional $2500. And waive any disposition fees when I buy at the end.
Is the required battery maintenance included in a lease?
What is a common amount for disposition fees if I don't buy it at the end?

get a 30KwH battery ! Just do it.. everyday you will be glad for the range and added life if you keep the car.
if you are leasing.. just get an S-30, and put some seat covers on it.

If you are buying realize that the 30 KwH battery capacity warranty is 8 years not 5.. and 100K miles not 60K !
That is how much better the 30KwH battery is.. !!!!

I have been told that Nissan has discounted the buy back recently.. who knows.
My guess is that in 3 years Nissan will have a nominal 200 mi range EV.. and resale of your
car will drop even more than they have historically ( at least 1/2 in 2 years/24K miles)

The SL's are rare, expensive, and perhaps worth more to the dealer at buy back time.
The used S models are dirt cheap.. but do everything important that the SV/SL does
except for the heater and the display --- which is too much of a good thing.

Get the Full Replacement Option on your insurance.. otherwise if the car is totaled you can
lose your equity due to depreciation during the lease term. AAA charged me $60 year extra.
Ask for it.. it's new at AAA.

Nissan gave me 10,625 off the MSRP
Nissan also kicked in 4000 more on a lease.

Our Electric provider and the air pollution district kicked in
$5000 - 2500 if not low in come.

then 2500 back from the state
another 2000 if low income

then came the air pollution district again with another $2500
and 2000 more if low income.

So...check for ALL the rebates and incentives available and the
Deep Nissan discounts on remaining 2016's.,

Lease gets same as buying.

A lease costs more than buying... 350 fee going in, and 300 going out if you buy.
Milage, damage if you turn it back.. I don't know about.
If you trash it.. they will either charge you if you don't buy it.

Lease can be cheaper than buying for me because I don't pay $7,500 in Federal taxes. So I can't take the full credit as Nissan can on a lease. NY state has $2000 pending but not in place. I have no pollution incentives. I'm also quite certain I will never get to 30% loss of capacity with the small battery in even 8 years that the big battery is waranteed for with the cool climate in NY and the limited use It would ever get in the summer since I am on the motorcycle most days. Keep the high voltage cut off set to 80% and don't run it low. The new battery will do 2000 cycles to 70% loss.
The big question is price. How low will they be willing to go. Especially for an S24. I believe Nissan has 1000's of these sitting around right now.

sendler2112 said:
Lease can be cheaper than buying for me because I don't pay $7,500 in Federal taxes. So I can't take the full credit as Nissan can on a lease. NY state has $2000 pending but not in place. I have no pollution incentives. I'm also quite certain I will never get to 30% loss of capacity with the small battery in even 8 years that the big battery is waranteed for with the cool climate in NY and the limited use It would ever get in the summer since I am on the motorcycle most days. Keep the high voltage cut off set to 80% and don't run it low. The new battery will do 2000 cycles to 70% loss.
The big question is price. How low will they be willing to go. Especially for an S24. I believe Nissan has 1000's of these sitting around right now.

in New York I would go with 30 kwh simply for the extra range with those crazy winters you tend to get. As far as pricing goes, its hard to argue when you can lease for less than 20 cents per mile

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2016/11/in-with-new-introducing-era-of-eco-b.html

My life is completely regimented and this is a dedicated green commuter car for me. 40 miles each way with charging at work. But after further research I see that the 30kWh battery is not just larger capacity but is purported to be a blend of the newer NMC chemistry so I probably would try to get to half price on an S30 if that is possible. I wonder if Nissan or the general public really knows how much less desirable the 24kWh battery is based on projected calendar and cycle life.

sendler2112 said:
My life is completely regimented and this is a dedicated green commuter car for me. 40 miles each way with charging at work. But after further research I see that the 30kWh battery is not just larger capacity but is purported to be a blend of the newer NMC chemistry so I probably would try to get to half price on an S30 if that is possible. I wonder if Nissan or the general public really knows how much less desirable the 24kWh battery is based on projected calendar and cycle life.

u saw the math on my lease. keep in mind, purchases have bigger incentives along with the fact that 30 kwh packs have 100,000 mile capacity warranty and 8 years over the 24 kwh 60,000 miles and 5 years.

I don't understand what the problem is in this case.... If the gentleman's commute is 40 miles each way with charging at both ends, either a 24 or (best yet) 30 kwh battery would be perfect for the job... You would really make a killing in the fuel savings with that kind of long distance daily driving.. My 24khw car does a similar long drive with no issues....

If I could get the same level of extreme discount on an S30, I would much rather have the newer chemistry which I believe will last way longer to rack up miles with. But I expect Nissan knows that also and the really big discount incentives at the dealer will be on the S24.
I would save from buying $135 in gas/ month in the winter when I am driving the Honda Fit and $45 / month from May through October when I commute on the Honda CBR250R. Gas is way too cheap in the USA. My electricity is about 12.5c / kWh at the bottom of the bill and Upstate NY has the cleanest grid in the USA.

Back