Decision I have to make on range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
jkirkebo said:
It's quite heavy for a 24kWh battery, that is for sure. The Tesla ~92kWh 300-mile pack will probably weigh in at a little over 1000 lbs...(cell weight ~815 lbs)

Vaporware is always lighter :twisted:

Anyway, the Roadster 52kwh battery weighs in at 900 lb.

BTW, Leaf battery weighs 480 pounds, not 660.

Ok, 480 lbs sounds much more reasonable. A 48kWh pack is not too much of a stretch in a "2.0" version then.

In another thought about the original post. All Nissan Dealerships are going to have several level 2 chargers. If your trip includes a stop near a dealership you could get some charge at the dealership.

Raceway Nissan
Pedder Nissan
and
Nissan of Temecula

are all on your route. Not sure which ones are close to your end destination or if this helps at all with your decision.

Quality Nissan of Temecula:
Well located on Ynez just south of Winchester (take the "hwy 79 east" exit from I-15).

Also, there is a "big" mall at that exit, which might be talked into installing a Level 3 charger (or two).

Now, if Q-Nissan just had a Level 3 charger, a 10-minute stop would essentially solve this range problem.

A Level 2 charger might take 1 to 2 hours for the "e-fix", but a 6.6 kW charging rate might make the partial-charging time almost tolerable, especially at the mall.

evnow said:

http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/7714

Glad to hear that lower number, but there are sources quoting 660. I haven't been able to find a number put forth by Nissan itself.

Yodrak said:
evnow said:

http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/7714

Glad to hear that lower number, but there are sources quoting 660. I haven't been able to find a number put forth by Nissan itself.

Battery or battery with packaging and components attached? The raw cells? Depends if they mean battery or battery pack and structure, and if the entire package is 480 and the car is 3500 they sure put a lot of steel in that things frame for reinforcement!

garygid said:
Skydive San Diego is just 24 miles from you, East and a bit South of San Diego, at Nichols Field.

But you probably know that already.

Perris Valley Skydiving is a world-class facility and is...well, world-class.

Skydive San Diego is a jump zone.

It's like the difference between managing a Motel 6 and managing a Four Seasons....hey, they're both hotel managers, right? :lol:

Perris Valley is a great place to jump. i jumped there when in Air Force (no official duties just a cool hobby) stationed at March AFB

Yodrak said:
LakeLeaf said:
It would be nice if the Leaf battery pack had a plug where you could throw an extra battery pack in the trunk and plug it into the rest of the pack.

You might buy the 50 mile pack for those occasional longer trips, or maybe the 20 mile pack if you need just a touch of extra range.

"throw" ?

The Leaf 100-mile Leaf battery pack is said to weigh 660 lbs. That would make your 50-mile battery ~330 lbs and the 20-mile battery ~130 lbs - more than I could lift into the trunk by myself.

Yes, but at 2.4KW increments (10 miles), it is certainly doable - 50lbs to 60lbs. Multiple packs plug into each other for higher capacity. You'd want a way to charge them without them being in the car probably. This would make a nice solution for the AAA problem - the tow truck just provides you with a brick or two to give you enough juice to get to your charging station. Return the bricks to get your deposit back.

LakeLeaf said:
Yes, but at 2.4KW increments (10 miles), it is certainly doable - 50lbs to 60lbs. Multiple packs plug into each other for higher capacity. You'd want a way to charge them without them being in the car probably. This would make a nice solution for the AAA problem - the tow truck just provides you with a brick or two to give you enough juice to get to your charging station. Return the bricks to get your deposit back.

The only problem with this solution is that you need to match the voltage of the pack. If you series the new "brick" in with the factory pack it will increase the voltage and the safetys will shut down the car. If you parallel the new pack it needs to have the same voltage as the factory pack or you will just blow up your new "brick".

LakeLeaf said:
Yodrak said:
LakeLeaf said:
It would be nice if the Leaf battery pack had a plug where you could throw an extra battery pack in the trunk and plug it into the rest of the pack.

You might buy the 50 mile pack for those occasional longer trips, or maybe the 20 mile pack if you need just a touch of extra range.

"throw" ?

The Leaf 100-mile Leaf battery pack is said to weigh 660 lbs. That would make your 50-mile battery ~330 lbs and the 20-mile battery ~130 lbs - more than I could lift into the trunk by myself.

charging modules were discussed at length at the eestor website. (site to follow ultra-capacitor charge storage methods) since eestor's solution would be reputedly lighter and have much higher charge densities, a refillable option that would be swapped at convenience stores much like propane fillups are now would be a possibility.

this requires a battery pack that has multiple slots to add capacity in a parallel config something like server racks which can add capacity with blade inserts. iow, would not change voltage, only capacity. pretty cool idea. but still a long way from that option. electronic charge storage would not have current limitations that batteries do so balancing between multiple units would not be as much of a challenge where you could have say up to 12 units where you would only need 2 to run the car. this allows u to swap discharged units for charged ones when needed.

ya, bit of a pipe dream, but it can be done. minimal technical hurdles. just need a lot of synergy and money

palmermd said:
=
The only problem with this solution is that you need to match the voltage of the pack. If you series the new "brick" in with the factory pack it will increase the voltage and the safetys will shut down the car. If you parallel the new pack it needs to have the same voltage as the factory pack or you will just blow up your new "brick".

Or the plug interface could trigger a switch so that run off of either the on board batteries, or the added ones - like an actual reserve tank. Not hard to do - but you would have to add all of the extra batteries at the same time, or plug them in and drain them one at a time to avoid the situation you describe. I could see this as a third party product....

I'd guess that Nissan thinks there won't be enough range anxiety from the initial buyers to warrant such an interface/solution - and the second generation of Leaf buyers will buy the Leaf 2.0 which likely will have a bigger range.

It would be a nice "AAA" solution.

knowing the speed of limp mode would be nice and 30 mph is doable. just get off the freeway and do side streets. in my Zenn limp mode is like 10-15 mph... too slow, but then again, top speed is only 35!

Back