Deliveries On Hold?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO this post on All Cars Electric.com comes close to explaining the problem Nissan is dealing with. The result is a massive hold until they actually figure it all out.

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1058150_breaking-2011-nissan-leaf-start-failure--what-you-need-to-know/page-2

WopOnTour said:
I disagree with some of the technical assessments made by this article and comments. The DTCs being reported by the affected Leaf owners are for "loss of isolation". Anyone working with or on hybrids or electric vehicles should be very familiar with these types of faults/failures. Essentially it indicates that select vehicle module/s have detected the presence of high-voltage (~300VDC of either + or - polarity)exists on the vehicle ground plane.
The threshold for these DTCs to "set" is somewhat variable but generally trigger when isolation is detected as being lass than 100-250K ohms. The high-voltage positive and negative circuits must remain isolated from the chassis and bodywork of a vehicle to both prevent damage to negative grounded compo entry AND maintain general electric vehicle safety.
This safety system then prevents the various components on the car from becoming "live" by actively disconnecting the energy storage system from its cabling to the rest of the car.
The air-conditioning system is always suspect with isolation DTCs are present due to the fact that the A/C compressor will often operate at high-voltages on many hybrids and EVs. Contamination, excessive moisture and/or air or the use of incorrect refrigerant oils (generally polyolefin ester based) can often trigger these DTCs. So in this case, one would think the use of the A/C compressor is merely the triggering mechanism, not necessarily the root cause.
Altering the software to lower the LOI detection levels to rectify this issue isn’t really a viable option UNLESS it is proven that there really isnt an LOI issue that exists and the threshold used by Nissan is abnormally high.
At this point I'm certain Nissan's efforts are focused on determining if there is truly an LOI issue present (and YES if so the safest thing to do is SHUT DOWN the high-voltage source via the contactor system)OR if an anomaly truly exists in their self-diagnostic routines for loss-of isolation.
Until such determination can be ascertained, it would not be advisable for owners of these cars to do anything but get these cars to their Nissan dealers where trained technicians can properly and safely assess if any risk exists.
No attempt to “clear” the DTCs or otherwise bypass these detected safety concerns should be made without full understanding of the risks involved.
HTH
WopOnTour

As of this morning, my dashboard has gone back to "Pending." Since I have a VIN and my dealer told me the car is in Portland, I presume they have indeed halted deliveries until they can figure this out. Since I have a trip in two weeks, I'm afraid I won't get my car until after I get back, and it may sit at the dealership for a while. I sure hope they don't decide they can use it as a demo until I actually buy it.

I saw a truckload of California Leafs on their way to the dealer today, so I assume at least some cars are getting past the hold now.

TEG said:
I saw a truckload of California Leafs on their way to the dealer today, so I assume at least some cars are getting past the hold now.

Yes. My PD reported this also. Looks like they are slowly releasing the "fixed" vehicles.

Dealer in Gardena told me that all his Leafs were on hold as of yesterday.
That could change today.
My delivery week starts Friday.

He said demos all were yanked. I took that to mean a few weeks ago.

thankyouOB said:

That sounds right because about two weeks ago my DB changed from 'month of May' (which usually means it is still in Japan) to 'week of Apr. 29' with a VIN below 2000. I surmised it is a demo because of the lower VIN #.

I have no idea whether or not this will add to the compendium of non-information about this, but I just received my "How do you like your Leaf?" telephone call.

I responded that I'm not driving the thing, I'm getting a big load of grief from the City Inspector about the charger installation and it may just be for sale in the next day or so charger and all unless they can convince me that it will continue to run when the A/C is switched on.

She replied after speaking with a "supervisor" that my car in particular and most cars delivered after April 1, has had a fix applied.

Sounds like bologna to me, but there it is.

What's the ebay final value fee for a $30,000 car?

Clippy said:
I have no idea whether or not this will add to the compendium of non-information about this, but I just received my "How do you like your Leaf?" telephone call.

I responded that I'm not driving the thing, I'm getting a big load of grief from the City Inspector about the charger installation and it may just be for sale in the next day or so charger and all unless they can convince me that it will continue to run when the A/C is switched on.

She replied after speaking with a "supervisor" that my car in particular and most cars delivered after April 1, has had a fix applied.

Last time I checked, it was $275. You can go to EBAY, do a fee search and find out.

drees said:
It's tough being an early adopter. At least you have your car!

I'll mention that to Chuckles the Rogue Home Inspector when he stops by tomorrow, for the fourth time.

garygid said:
daniel,
Just be sure to tell your dealer about your trip, and that you DO want the car!

Yep. I will definitely be doing that. In fact, if he wants me to, I'll give him a check before I go in return for a receipt confirming that the car is mine and will not be driven except as necessary to prep it for delivery to me.

LEAFfan said:
thankyouOB said:

That sounds right because about two weeks ago my DB changed from 'month of May' (which usually means it is still in Japan) to 'week of Apr. 29' with a VIN below 2000. I surmised it is a demo because of the lower VIN #.
This is consistent with what my dealer told me, that the cars destined to be dealer demos have been reallocated to buyers whose cars were "lost" in the disaster, and which matched the specs of the demo cars. I.e., I ordered blue without the 440 plug, so a blue one without the plug that would have gone to a dealer will come to me instead.

It's very good news if they have a fix now and are applying it. But my dashboard still says "Pending."

Clippy said:

You're going to sell the car? huh?

Clippy said:
drees said:
It's tough being an early adopter. At least you have your car!

I'll mention that to Chuckles the Rogue Home Inspector when he stops by tomorrow, for the fourth time.

Et le Party Continue, as the Frenchie's say.

Seems Chuckles has decided that a simple "Inspection" is not good enough for my 60 year old Ghetto abode.

Before he will even come back to cast a glance at my set up, he requires a complete system load test, a sub panel and A/V unit load test. Oh and while you're about it, please provide me with a complete (define complete) set of Specifications for the A/V unit, a schematic diagram, etc. Of course this will require filing a new, revised, revised, revised permit....

Rule 1--Never let anyone into your house. Practice the phrase, "Do you have a warrant?"

Rule 2--Do not, repeat w/emphasis DO NOT buy any other charger than the one being offered by our friend Ingineer.

The punch line?

I offered to uninstall the A/V unit. He said I couldn't because I'm not a licensed electrician and my licensed electrician couldn't do it because this permit won't allow it. And in order to get the new "removal" permit, the "installation" permit must first be finished and closed....

"Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

'That's some catch, that Catch-22,' he observed.

'It's the best there is,' Doc Daneeka agreed."

The Leaf's for sale by the way, PM me. Comes with a charger, if I can ever get permission to remove it, or is it install it?

cdub said:

I'll send Chuckles over and let him find a bunch of real/imaginary "unpermitted" improvements for "correction" then call me in the morning, OK?

Clippy said:
cdub said:

I'll send Chuckles over and let him find a bunch of real/imaginary "unpermitted" improvements for "correction" then call me in the morning, OK?

What part of the country are you in?

You're really selling the car because the inspectors an a-hole? Doesn't compute.

Back