Deliveries On Hold?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cdub said:
Clippy said:
cdub said:
You're going to sell the car? huh?

I'll send Chuckles over and let him find a bunch of real/imaginary "unpermitted" improvements for "correction" then call me in the morning, OK?

What part of the country are you in?

You're really selling the car because the inspectors an a-hole? Doesn't compute.

"Exactly how much would you like to pay for this car?" says he?

MSRP-5%+TTL+Extended Warranty+Charger+Install+New "permitted" Sub Panel (uninstall old "unpermitted" panel, ignore that it was mentioned and approved in the original application for the 200a main service permit)+uninstall Charger)+Charger reinstall+Load testing and documentation+submit load test and Charger data for "evaluation and approval" prior to issuing new, revised permit (3rd or is it 4th time) and re, re, re, inspection. Meanwhile, we have no washer and dryer or garage lights, or garage door opener...

Chuckles ain't done, son. We haven't removed one sheet of drywall yet.

cdub said:
You're really selling the car because the inspectors an a-hole? Doesn't compute.
Yah. I was going to ask why his electrician wasn't dealing with the permit problems, after all, it's his job. Also, AV and Nissan should both be willing to go to bat for him. But I think he's just looking for an excuse to sell...and he doesn't really need one.

davewill said:
cdub said:
Yah. I was going to ask why his electrician wasn't dealing with the permit problems, after all, it's his job. Also, AV and Nissan should both be willing to go to bat for him. But I think he's just looking for an excuse to sell...and he doesn't really need one.

This is way, way off topic (but interesting, no?).

I've been on the telephone literally all day for several days and each telephone call reveals exactly why we are not ready for EV's.

In fact, I just now (as in <5 minutes ago) finished talking to a very nice person from my local utility who has informed me that even though I have jumped through all the aforementioned hoops; what I am trying to do, i.e., install a 2nd TOU meter to obtain EV charging rates IS NOT PERMITTED BY CITY ORDINANCE.

So, now in addition to install, reinstall, etc., a Memorandum of Understanding between the City and the Utility (which is an arm of the City) must first be written, agreed to and possibly submitted to some nebulous "higher authority" so that I can get permission to do what several people (my electrician has installed 15)HAVE ALREADY DONE. And doing this involves me NOT having access to a washer and dryer for an extended period of time, get it? Driving the Leaf to the Duds-in-Suds for some quality time with the Change Machine attendant was not my Bucket List.

And this punchline is my local utility approved AND DESIGNED the installation using my "unpermitted" subpanel.

And you wonder why I want to sell this car? Even though I am a Christian, I believe that everything (even Cars) have Karma. I will not be surprised if the license plate for this vehicle contains the numbers "666."

My wife (and co-owner) wants to keep the Leaf. But what she wants to do with it involves large quantities of Petroleum Jelly and rather crude, un-Christian behavior.

AV, no help, Nissan, no help, my electrician wants to know who I pissed off down at City Hall.

Clippy said:
...my electrician wants to know who I pissed off down at City Hall.
That WAS my next question. The unpermitted panel is unfortunate, but not the end of the world, and presumably your electrician has remedied that. The rest sounds like politics and turf wars.

Clippy said:
I offered to uninstall the A/V unit. He said I couldn't because I'm not a licensed electrician and my licensed electrician couldn't do it because this permit won't allow it. And in order to get the new "removal" permit, the "installation" permit must first be finished and closed....
It is 100% legal to do your own electrical work in your own house in California.

Clippy said:
i.e., install a 2nd TOU meter to obtain EV charging rates IS NOT PERMITTED BY CITY ORDINANCE.
Sometimes this happens because the city wants to prevent houses from getting multiple meters so they can be subletted. It doesn't have anything to do with EV charging... You live near UC Davis?

Clippy said:
And this punchline is my local utility approved AND DESIGNED the installation using my "unpermitted" subpanel.
Unfortunately, your local jurisdiction has the final say here.

Clippy said:
AV, no help, Nissan, no help, my electrician wants to know who I pissed off down at City Hall.
That's what I'm thinking. Sounds to me that you need to get a new inspector and if that fails - make as much noise about this fiasco as possible. Go talk to your local city councilmen - they should be much more receptive than the arrogant inspector you're dealing with. Sometimes the inspectors get off on saying no just because they can.

Clippy said:
And you wonder why I want to sell this car? Even though I am a Christian, I believe that everything (even Cars) have Karma. I will not be surprised if the license plate for this vehicle contains the numbers "666."

Have you checked your VIN? :evil: Could be the car of the devil already. Did you purchase an extended warranty?

If the city runs the utility I would go to the Mayors office and ask how to get out of this catch 22.
I would ask for a written denial from each department that explains the issue and present this to the Mayor.
Either the utility needs to change or the permit process.

I believe this stems from an old thought that if the city allows two meters in a SFR residential zone, the owner will convert the place to a duplex. Pretty outdated thinking from the 1950s IMO.

drees said:
That's what I'm thinking. Sounds to me that you need to get a new inspector and if that fails - make as much noise about this fiasco as possible. Go talk to your local city councilmen - they should be much more receptive than the arrogant inspector you're dealing with. Sometimes the inspectors get off on saying no just because they can.

I apologise to everyone for continuing this off-topic excursion, but....

Everyone (even Nissan but not A/V) seems to be calling everyone else ("Hello? May I speak to, uh. "Mr., uh, Chuckles?") and the good things that have happened are:

1. I can recoup what I paid for for the car, every penny. Gimmie Tax Credit, and it's a deal.

2. The electrician is coming out tomorrow to loan me some, ahem, devices to jumper the meter.

3. My wife seems to have redirected her anger from me to OP's for this wedding anniversary gift, yes I said anniversary gift, that has gone terribly, terribly wrong.

A bowl of soup would be nice.

Clippy said:
3. My wife seems to have redirected her anger from me to OP's for this wedding anniversary gift, yes I said anniversary gift, that has gone terribly, terribly wrong.

I feel for you! I found out a vacuum was a bad anniversary gift.

Clippy said:
Everyone (even Nissan but not A/V) seems to be calling everyone else ("Hello? May I speak to, uh. "Mr., uh, Chuckles?") and the good things that have happened are:

1. I can recoup what I paid for for the car, every penny. Gimmie Tax Credit, and it's a deal.

2. The electrician is coming out tomorrow to loan me some, ahem, devices to jumper the meter.
So, are you going to get your money back, or now that you will be able to charge are you going to keep it?
Clippy said:
A man shouldn't be held responsible for things done under that kind of duress...

davewill said:
So, are you going to get your money back, or now that you will be able to charge are you going to keep it?

The last message from my wife as she stormed out the door to hop in our aging minivan was, we should keep it, but just so we can sue everyone involved. A dirty clothes fan, she is not.

The gravity of this situation is just beginning to become apparent to some of the folks involved. This isn't about me or my "unpermitted" subpanel. This about the 15 illegal permitted installs before mine and what is going to be done after mine. Oh well, someone had to uncover this problem, I was tagged "it." What I do isn't important, what it has the potential of keeping people from doing is the issue for the EV crowd.

The local, city owned and operated utility, has detailed instructions posted on its website and has people working for it that approves and has approved (along with the City) installations that are contrary to City Ordinances.

I'm just going to be doing a whole lot of laundry tomorrow.

Edit: Sorry to end this off topic ramble, but I have been advised to Callate. Let's just say I expect this problem to continue for an indefinite period of time, it currently has zero possibility of a peaceful resolution and we are not happy, to put it mildly.

Such a shame, seems like a nice car.

Beachcliffs said:
My PD checked NNANet today and says I have moved from "hold" status to "pending". He indicated that such a move was a good thing and CS says now says that I should receive our Leaf withing a "couple of weeks". So as we have come to expect ..."different sources, different messages."
DB went from "month of June" to "week of April 06" late last night/early this morning. While I doubt this means that Nissan has developed a time machine, it probably does confirm that cars are being moved off of "hold".

Hmm...the day I moved from April 22 to May 2, I received my 7-day notice, so I'm not certain that receiving that notice means anything. Worse, I just moved from May 2 to May 6. Dealer confirmed car has been in Long Beach for almost 2 weeks.

jcesare said:
My DB changed to 4/22 last night and I got my 7 day email this morning. Looks like deliveries will start again this week.

Mine changed from 4/22 to 4/20 last night -- I'm thinking we're back to the pre-earthquake pre-AC state of micro changes every time you blink

Beachcliffs said:
DB went from "month of June" to "week of April 06" late last night/early this morning. While I doubt this means that Nissan has developed a time machine, it probably does confirm that cars are being moved off of "hold".
(Gallows Humor Alert)
Are you sure that was 2011 and not 2012?
:) <-- (See...it's a joke. Not trying to make anyone mad)

Back