Disaster - on my first day of ownership

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rawhog said:
Body parts might be easier to come by than you think. I had the license plate bracket mounted on the front bumper even though I told them not to snafu. That was on a Tuesday. By Friday they had a new front bumper painted and ready to install.

Speculating: don't you think the dealer might have pulled swapped a bumper from another car of the same color? And to the OP, sorry it happened... It's one of those frustrating events.

The odd thing is I was finally driving my new LEAF (delay due to being out of town), and I thought, it is the first day, let's just get through this with no events.

smkettner said:
Forget the full coverage.... shouldn't the homeowner's insurance pay?
It was a defective house issue after all.

I was told one time by my insurance that (let's say) in the event of a tornado, my homeowners insurance would cover the house, but even if my car were parked in the (now demolished garage), my car insurance would have to cover that. I guess because your car isn't attached to your house, they consider it a 'separate item'.....I've never tested the issue, though. It seems my homeowners would cover other garage contents like lawn mower, etc, so who knows?

smkettner said:
Forget the full coverage.... shouldn't the homeowner's insurance pay?
It was a defective house issue after all.

Sorry about the trouble. I would just take it back to Fontana and just cry.

I don't really know but my guess is if it was somebody else's car that was damaged your homeowner's insurance would probably pay since it's a liability thing, but in this case it falls (no pun) to the comprehensive on your car. Just as well, you want to avoid making claims on homeowner's insurance.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I don't really know but my guess is if it was somebody else's car that was damaged your homeowner's insurance would probably pay since it's a liability thing, but in this case it falls (no pun) to the comprehensive on your car. Just as well, you want to avoid making claims on homeowner's insurance.
I was only joking before about suing Mom, but as far as the auto insurance is concerned, his mother IS someone else. He might find his auto insurance company covering it, then suing to recoup the loss from Mom's homeowner's insurance. The key point is probably whether he lives there or not.

So, I finally removed the wall and cabinet.
The latch for the power port is damaged ... the metal hinge is bent I think.
some minor cosmetic injury to paint ... should be buffable and shouldn't need a major paint bake.
Taking it in on Monday to my local Nissan service center, they said it hopefully will only cost labor.

I need them to also check the trickle charger as the port or jack might have been bent a little by the wreckage.

As for insurance, basically the insurance transfer from my Honda Civic Hybrid to the Nissan Leaf evidently covers the damage however,
the insurance agent told me that unless the damage was major, not to sweat it (deductible is $500).

Thank you all for your support and commiseration as well as your feedback.
I wish you all better luck with your car ... but on the whole I think I lucked out.

Jimmydreams said:
I guess because your car isn't attached to your house, they consider it a 'separate item'
But an EV is frequently attached to your house, unlike an ICE. Just tell the homeowner's insurance that it isn't a car, it's a 5-seat climate controlled furniture set used for enjoying satellite radio on hot days when you don't want to run your household HVAC. ;)

Back