Does evseupgrade.com void warrenty?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GaslessInSeattle said:
Does the evseupgrade have a unique W/A signature and is that tracked through carwings/telematics?
No. The car can't tell what EVSE it's plugged into. The only thing it knows is the voltage and current that was used. The EVSE is a simple device, there's no real way for it to be the culprit in a failure.

If you wanted to avoid attracting attention to the modification at lease turn-in time, you could you return the modified EVSE with a standard 120 volt plug adapter connected to it. Then it would be functionally equivalent to the original and the only thing outwardly different would be the twist lock connection.

OK, I have to confess. The EVSE has a chip inside that stores all LEAF history, Nissan did this in case you disconnect the battery in the car and there is a lithium battery in the EVSE. The EVSE not only tracks the car data but every place you charge. When the car goes back the data is used for Nissan research and also for dealers to add abuse charges. I know how to inductively erase this history and add a clean perfect 3-year drive history. If you like I will do this for anyone that sends me their EVSE and $20 for return shipping. I can do this in one day, here is the shipping address:

EVSE "FIX"
PO BOX 32100
FUD, California

planet4ever said:
Shame on you EVDRIVER. This is a newbie thread. Save your sly jokes for the rest of the board.
yeh, come on EVDRIVER, lots of people are genuinely worried by this issue and mocking them does not help.

I'm not mocking anyone, except those that WANT to believe in such things. I think it was made clear early on that there are no such extreme tracking issues. Regardless, dealers are not sophisticated in any technical way and all they car about is getting the car in one piece so it looks good to sell. Too many things are over analyzed here. They are not going to inspect plugs and silly details on the car. I can also assure everyone, it would take an extreme act of deliberate engineering to make an EVSE harm a LEAF charger in any way whatsoever, that is a technical fact. It is one of the most unlikely events to happen to a LEAF and even if a charger failed it would be nearly impossible to blame it on ANY EVSE unless it was stripped of its guts and wired directly to high voltage to say the pilot signal or directly bonded to the charger with 400V. It is just not going to happen and a charger failure will not result because of an EVSE malfunction issue and any Nissan Engineer will know this. This makes as much sense as claiming a extension cord blew up your toaster:)

Anyone with a concern about what happens when they return the car could easily get a swap with someone that has an original EVSE.

i can i have been using the modified EVSE and it has worked great. for another $45 i have a metered system to track my usage so for about $300 (dont remember what i paid for EVSE upgrade only have 12 amp but was $200 something...not much) started using it about a month ago and as you can see, have about 274 Kwh used

11+-+1

have charged from 2nd low battery warning to full in about 7 hours so can easily do overnight charging.

DaveinOlyWA said:
i can i have been using the modified EVSE and it has worked great. for another $45 i have a metered system to track my usage so for about $300 (dont remember what i paid for EVSE upgrade only have 12 amp but was $200 something...not much) started using it about a month ago and as you can see, have about 274 Kwh used

11+-+1

have charged from 2nd low battery warning to full in about 7 hours so can easily do overnight charging.

Nice setup! I like the bungee option for hanging, etc! You should get the Rev2 as it will give you a 30% boost in speed if needed...

EVDRIVER said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

11+-+1

Nice setup! I like the bungee option for hanging, etc! You should get the Rev2 as it will give you a 30% boost in speed if needed...

ya know i thought about it but i dont have anything else to charge with so it would be sending it out to upgrade waiting to get it back, etc. it could be done but to be honest with ya, since i started on this, i have never had a time crunch to get a charge. now when i was on straight L1, i could not do Centralia two days in a row, but now its not a problem

DaveinOlyWA said:
EVDRIVER said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

11+-+1

ya know i thought about it but i dont have anything else to charge with so it would be sending it out to upgrade waiting to get it back, etc. it could be done but to be honest with ya, since i started on this, i have never had a time crunch to get a charge. now when i was on straight L1, i could not do Centralia two days in a row, but now its not a problem

from the evseupgrade.com website:

"In a Hurry?! Please inquire about the $75 advanced replacement option. You pay us a deposit of $600, we ship out an already upgraded unit to your specs. (deposit is refunded upon receipt of your original EVSE in good condition within a week)"

would cost you an extra $75 to get an advanced replacement...

Mitch

Mitch; that is how i got the one i got now was the quick exchange and it worked great. now if 16 amp had been available i would have gladly popped the extra cash but right now, this is just doing everything i need it to do

ok Dave.. I was actually thinking of building an EVSE, since I have so much time :(
the control logic board is $240, the J-1772 connector w/25' of 75A cable is $300, a small 12V power supply, NEMA-12 enclosure and a 75-90A 2 pole contactor (relay), a few other doodads, about $650 total, and it would be a 14KW model when done. Its tempting, and I am still debating it. of course for about $750 I can just get the 32A SPX as well, which will handle most EV's for the forseeable future (ok, maybe not the Tesla, buts thats about the only one)

Mitch

BTW, to answer the post, nope, the upgrade cannot void the warrantly magnuson-moss act.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

mitch672 said:
ok Dave.. I was actually thinking of building an EVSE, since I have so much time :(
the control logic board is $240, the J-1772 connector w/25' of 75A cable is $300, a small 12V power supply, NEMA-12 enclosure and a 75-90A 2 pole contactor (relay), a few other doodads, about $650 total, and it would be a 14KW model when done. Its tempting, and I am still debating it. of course for about $750 I can just get the 32A SPX as well, which will handle most EV's for the forseeable future (ok, maybe not the Tesla, buts thats about the only one)

Mitch

BTW, to answer the post, nope, the upgrade cannot void the warrantly magnuson-moss act.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

someone on the board is selling their EVSE for $300 might want to search that out. gotta be cheaper to mod an exisiting unit

FYI, we got our AV unit installed for a little over $1,400. However to get that price I had the circuit totally completed with the #8 wire hanging out of the drywall. Also, I included the electrical circuit in the drawings when I purchased my building permit from the county. It was a battle to get AV to come around but they finally came up with something more reasonable.

So, to be clear and so as not to be the target of crass comments, I like this product and have even promoted it in conversations on other boards. That does not mean the question of warranty is not a rational one, nor the question of whether Nissan can track details with carwings, even details of charging. If they can catch "Top Gear" in the act (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5034&hilit=carwings+caught) I don't think it's outlandish that folks are asking if charging details could be used against them at a later date. In fact, when the upgrade was suggested to someone recently on another board, there first question was about if it would effect warranty. To me it's not so much about doubt in the product, it's more about my skepticism of car dealers that commonly look for ways to sqeak out of having to pay for warranty work, because it pays at a lower rate. I would suggest that for purposes of marketing, perhaps it would be worthwhile to actually get a direct response on this subject from Nissan to truly quell concerns rather than mock them. Also, before ordering the upgrade, anyone who is truly concerned about messing up their warranty could simply ask the dealer or Nissan directly. I imagine that Nissan has a policy about third party EVSE's, as most of them are third party.

Kind Regards,
George

GaslessInSeattle said:
...Also, before ordering the upgrade, anyone who is truly concerned about messing up their warranty could simply ask the dealer or Nissan directly. I imagine that Nissan has a policy about third party EVSE's, as most of them are third party...
I can almost guarantee you won't get a positive response. Personally, I understood what I was getting and am completely unconcerned about warranty effects...but no one is going to take the responsibility and state that clearly. IHMO, anyone who is that worried about the warranty should probably shop elsewhere. There are other choices, like the SPX PowerExpress in a close enough price bracket.

George; i feel that Nissan is tracking our charging/driving but not so they can gain ammunition to avoid warranty work. i believe they are doing it to gather data for future product improvement.

after all there is no real way to understand how society will view and treat a new product until the actual product is in their hands.

its easy to map out in a lab what the consumers needs are and then design a product around that need and provide it at a competitive price. but that model fails 90% of the time and its due to customer acceptance and perceptions over seemingly meaningless details.

if how i drive and how i charge will help Nissan develop a better Leaf 2.0 i am all for it. if i werent, i would not participate in carwings at all.

GaslessInSeattle said:
So, to be clear and so as not to be the target of crass comments, I like this product and have even promoted it in conversations on other boards. That does not mean the question of warranty is not a rational one, nor the question of whether Nissan can track details with carwings, even details of charging. If they can catch "Top Gear" in the act (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5034&hilit=carwings+caught) I don't think it's outlandish that folks are asking if charging details could be used against them at a later date. In fact, when the upgrade was suggested to someone recently on another board, there first question was about if it would effect warranty. To me it's not so much about doubt in the product, it's more about my skepticism of car dealers that commonly look for ways to sqeak out of having to pay for warranty work, because it pays at a lower rate. I would suggest that for purposes of marketing, perhaps it would be worthwhile to actually get a direct response on this subject from Nissan to truly quell concerns rather than mock them. Also, before ordering the upgrade, anyone who is truly concerned about messing up their warranty could simply ask the dealer or Nissan directly. I imagine that Nissan has a policy about third party EVSE's, as most of them are third party.

Kind Regards,
George

The entire discussion over an EVSE harming any EV is utter nonsense. In addition no car dealer can prove an EVSE damaged a car if it even were possible since they can't prove what was ever plugged into the port. This is as silly as a lamp manufacturer saying your extension cord blew up a light bulb and then attempting to prove that. Nissan scares people into using "approved" EVSE units because they don't want bad PR from people not being able to charge on crappy EVSE units that break or don't work at all. If any of this mattered no one could charge publicly. Don't expect anything but FUD and mumbo jumbo from Nissan CS who have no idea how one even works.

Back