Does evseupgrade.com void warrenty?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The closest official thing I've heard from Nissan is that you can use "any SAE J1772 Charging Cable" with your LEAF.

So far I have not heard of one single warranty issue relating to the LEAF's on-board charger failing, though I've heard plenty of problem reports from the various EVSE's out there.

We've had a better reliability record than AV units, and hands-down we blow away the Blink. There aren't enough SPX or Leviton units out there to have a good enough sample size yet.

No matter what Nissan or the Dealer say, they open themselves up for an easily provable lawsuit should they deny any warranty claim for the use of an aftermarket charge cord. There is tons of precedent, which is why the Magnuson-Moss warranty act was passed in 1975.

I've personally inspected the data that is collected in the LEAF. It records the total # of charges, by level (L1/L2/Fast). It knows this by watching the voltage. There is no logging distinction made between a 12a or 16a 240v charge cord. This logging information is stored inside the car's Battery ECU, and can be queried by any dealer scantool (Consult III+). There is also some data sent via carwings telematics, but again, there is nothing other than which voltage is used.

-Phil

Phil, thanks for the info. As I told someone today, no one can guarantee 100% that there won't be an issue with a dealer, but it seems very unlikely and that if I had not gotten the blink for free, I would be going this route and may even still.

The person in question was quoted $3K for the install of an AV unit and as a result of a little encouragement/intervention and intro to your upgrade page, cancelled the install and ordered your unit and is now likely going to save more than $2K... very impressive to watch the wheels turn!
g

Ingineer said:
I've personally inspected the data that is collected in the LEAF. It records the total # of charges, by level (L1/L2/Fast). It knows this by watching the voltage. There is no logging distinction made between a 12a or 16a 240v charge cord. This logging information is stored inside the car's Battery ECU, and can be queried by any dealer scantool (Consult III+). There is also some data sent via carwings telematics, but again, there is nothing other than which voltage is used.

-Phil
Does the stored data indicate the sequence of charge events, i.e. does it record each event ? ( Which could somehow be linked to date/time in conjunction with CarWings ... ) Or is it really just a cumulative counter, i.e. 3 data points ?

Since we don't yet have any "Fast" data info (unless someone has looked at the data recorded from the Mitsubishi QC events ?) ... is it possible that the ECU keeps a sequence/more data of Fast charge events (i.e. if the total over the life of the vehicle is 50, it makes a big difference if they occured all in one week, not one per month) ?

Back