Electrical line noise while charging at 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any update from you, LEAFer? I just brought my neighbor's car over (VIN is several thousand higher than mine) and it did not induce any audible noise in my solar inverter, unlike my car. This experiment was in response to my dealer's statement that most problems were caused by house wiring. I knew that this wasn't the case but figured a little audio recording would be worth the effort...

New Year's resolution will be to get this fixed.

Jay

jsnable said:
Any update from you, LEAFer? I just brought my neighbor's car over (VIN is several thousand higher than mine) and it did not induce any audible noise in my solar inverter, unlike my car. This experiment was in response to my dealer's statement that most problems were caused by house wiring. I knew that this wasn't the case but figured a little audio recording would be worth the effort...

New Year's resolution will be to get this fixed.

Jay
No (additional) news from me. Our LEAF had a new charger installed back on July 1. That solved the noise issue. What "irks" me (use a stronger word) is that Nissan has not been following up with the other early VINs with a TSB, especially the vocal complainers on this forum that have an OBVIOUS issue. :evil:

I just caught up to reading the "Re: L2 not charging, L1 ok" thread ... interesting solution to speeding up Nissan's response :lol:

Just an update from me. I finally had my car into the dealership for the software updates and mentioned the line noise issue. The tech said the new chargers with additional filters were installed starting at around the ~1500 VIN production mark but mines ~2100. He was able to verify though that my car did have one of the old chargers. After he reported this back to Bill Grossi an appointment was scheduled for the tech to verify which EVSE I had and that it was on a dedicated circuit. He also verified that the crackling sound could be heard at the circuit panel. Now he's finishing the paperwork and in ~5 days he should have a new on board charger for me. Once I reported this issue to my dealership tech he took care of everything and so far it's been smooth.

I have no idea if this issue is big enough to warrant a more formal recall but I'm glad they are fixing it for me....

QueenBee said:
I have no idea if this issue is big enough to warrant a more formal recall but I'm glad they are fixing it for me....
I HIGHLY doubt there'd be a recall unless it qualifies under http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

TSB? Maybe...

I don't like to think about this. If I do . . . and I consider the total disregard, I think that many would consider taking a life ( :( ) . . .
I'd ask if anyone has Bill Grossi's email or phone # ... but after saying the above, I think folks would fear giving it to me. (end of joke). No seriously, does anyone have Bill Grossi's contact info? As John Wayne said in one of his movies, "It's getting re-God D#@ diculous"

Good luck! I sent him a very detailed report of my exact same problem, complete with measurements and pictures, a month ago and have heard nothing...

hill said:
garygid said:
hill,
Google:
Bill Grossi Nissan Motor
thank you for your mercy. hoping he can put me out of my misery. happy (bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) charging

Have you guys taken your cars to a dealership? If so I'd might recommend switching dealerships. Mine has literally taken care of everything. All I had to do was mention the issue to Aaron at "Nissan of the Eastside" in Bellevue and he's taken care of everything.

Yep, the dealer then called Nissan and they said that unless they came out to the house, made their own measurements, and verified the problem in person, they would not authorize anything... So, I told them to send someone out and the dealership relayed that information to Nissan... That was too months ago. The toroid and capacitor Pi network fix I did myself at the EVSE solved my problem so I really am not that motivated to hit my head against the Nissan brick-wall any longer...

QueenBee said:
Have you guys taken your cars to a dealership? If so I'd might recommend switching dealerships. Mine has literally taken care of everything. All I had to do was mention the issue to Aaron at "Nissan of the Eastside" in Bellevue and he's taken care of everything.

hill said:
I don't like to think about this. If I do . . . and I consider the total disregard, I think that many would consider taking a life ( :( ) . . .
I'd ask if anyone has Bill Grossi's email or phone # ... but after saying the above, I think folks would fear giving it to me. (end of joke). No seriously, does anyone have Bill Grossi's contact info? As John Wayne said in one of his movies, "It's getting re-God D#@ diculous"

I had some Nissan Engineers out at my house doing power quality survey tests about a month ago and asked them about this issue. They indicated that you should contact your dealer about the issue if you have it. I told them that several here had, to no avail, and he indicated that you should push them and ask them to contact corporate about it. While there is no TSB, this is definitely an issue they know about.

TomT said:
Yep, the dealer then called Nissan and they said that unless they came out to the house, made their own measurements, and verified the problem in person, they would not authorize anything... So, I told them to send someone out and the dealership relayed that information to Nissan... That was too months ago. The toroid and capacitor Pi network fix I did myself at the EVSE solved my problem so I really am not that motivated to hit my head against the Nissan brick-wall any longer...

QueenBee said:

For me my actual dealership tech came out. He didn't do any measurements, just listened for the noise and checked out the EVSE and how it was wired up. I had been in the same position as you, not really wanting to beat my head to get it fixed so I was very pleasantly surprised how he took ownership of it and I didn't really have to do anything.

QueenBee said:
TomT said:

QueenBee said:

For me my actual dealership tech came out. He didn't do any measurements, just listened for the noise and checked out the EVSE and how it was wired up. I had been in the same position as you, not really wanting to beat my head to get it fixed so I was very pleasantly surprised how he took ownership of it and I didn't really have to do anything.
Glad to hear northern folks are shown love . . . but we must be read headed step kids sown here. Here's to hoping my note to the big powers goes some where.

TomT,
Did you ever post details of your filter network (links to parts) and details of where and how you installed it?

Or, at least a circuit diagram, component values, and some good hints on where it could be installed.

Is it a filter in/across the AC Input line?

If you do not want to post details, please PM to me.
Thanks, Gary

I didn't post a diagram but I did post a description a while back. I can draw one up real quick and post it here... A parts diagram is a tad difficult since the toroids I used were surplus, out of my ham radio junk box, and unmarked but any suitably sized toroids should work... The filter is in series with the AC input to the EVSE and is a LC Pi network.

garygid said:
TomT,
Did you ever post details of your filter network (links to parts) and details of where and how you installed it?
Or, at least a circuit diagram, component values, and some good hints on where it could be installed.
Is it a filter in/across the AC Input line?

GeekEV said:
I had some Nissan Engineers out at my house doing power quality survey tests about a month ago and asked them about this issue. They indicated that you should contact your dealer about the issue if you have it. I told them that several here had, to no avail, and he indicated that you should push them and ask them to contact corporate about it. While there is no TSB, this is definitely an issue they know about.
Well, add me to the list of people who have this problem - but never realized it until recently. I had someone familiar with the problem stop by and he suggested we check my panel and sure enough there was noise while charging. In my case it was subtle enough I never really noticed it, but it's definitely there. I'm now going to try and get it resolved as well. If I make any progress I'll post back how.

TomT,
So, you added the filter in your house, not your LEAF?

You put it between the EVSE and your house's wiring?

Is it this:
COIL = wire wrapped N ?? times through torroid
CAP = ?? uf capacitor, 400 volt
Code:
AC1 ------+----COIL-----+-----
          |             |
         CAP           CAP
          |             |
AC2 ------+----COIL-----+------

Back