Error P33D4

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raggen

New Leaf owner in New Zealand.

My 2011 Leaf is displaying the EV system Error, but everything works. Getting approx 40km range, states 55km after a full L1 charge
Looking at error codes on leaf spy it appears to be a battery issue. See screenshot of error codes and battery state

Any suggestions for what the cause may be?

What do the different colors mean? Are the red lines cells that are bad?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240418-150431_LeafSpy Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20240418-150431_LeafSpy Pro.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240421-200527_LeafSpy Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20240421-200527_LeafSpy Pro.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 4
All the 2015 manual states for that code is: battery deterioration, replace Li battery. It looks like your traction battery is nearing the end of its useful life.
Someone will correct me if i am wrong, but red lines mean the cells are "balancing" (trying to equalize charge between cells).
If you can live with the limited range you have, then I would do so. If not it looks like it is battery time.
P3180 is also battery related, LBC (battery controller error).

Last edited:
New Leaf owner in New Zealand.

My 2011 Leaf is displaying the EV system Error, but everything works. Getting approx 40km range, states 55km after a full L1 charge
Looking at error codes on leaf spy it appears to be a battery issue. See screenshot of error codes and battery state

Any suggestions for what the cause may be?

What do the different colors mean? Are the red lines cells that are bad?
Ok, you have super low Hx, which is related to internal resistance of the battery. Lithium ion cells do this as they age, both through calendar aging and through cycling. Higher battery temperatures and fast charging increase the aging. The codes may be related to this!

The red lines are just a color code showing which shunts are active in the LBC (lithium battery controller). Normal.

Do you get an regen bubbles at all when braking? https://mynissanleaf.com/threads/poor-regeneration-while-braking.33500/post-624507 Does the car fast charge, and a what kW? I ask because I am interested in the correlation between the regen display and the Hx value, and you have an extreme example of low Hx (sry!).

As others have said, internal cell resistance is high, confirming aged cells. Looking like you could benefit from a visit to EVs Enhanced in Christchurch.

Thanks. But it is a cheap EV, so as long as I can do 30 to 40km on a charge I will just use it

Surprised though that with 5 bars and 45%SOH, and a suggested range of 50+km if shows a warning for bad battery.

Ok, you have super low Hx, which is related to internal resistance of the battery. Lithium ion cells do this as they age, both through calendar aging and through cycling. Higher battery temperatures and fast charging increase the aging. The codes may be related to this!

The red lines are just a color code showing which shunts are active in the LBC (lithium battery controller). Normal.

Do you get an regen bubbles at all when braking? https://mynissanleaf.com/threads/poor-regeneration-while-braking.33500/post-624507 Does the car fast charge, and a what kW? I ask because I am interested in the correlation between the regen display and the Hx value, and you have an extreme example of low Hx (sry!).
RGegen works well, but I don't see the bubbles on the display. Only using slow 8amp home charger

RGegen works well, but I don't see the bubbles on the display. Only using slow 8amp home charger
No blue bubbles at all on release of accelerator pedal? But you feel braking force? This may be less than one bubble but greater than zero bubble.

If the car is doing what you need, that is wonderful. The low Hx and high internal resistance mean the battery will be generating more heat internally during charge and discharge. Internal heating is to be avoided as much as possible at this point. A strategy to work around this is to continue the 8 amps/230 volt charging, be gentle with the throttle, and park it in a cool place. My 2013 batteries are showing very little decline these days, with gentle driving, charging at 6 Kw, generally staying between 20% and 70% SOC and moderate temperatures. If I had your kind of Hx, I would definitely be charging even more slowly, and using as little throttle as possible.

True and it would be interesting to know like you say does this correlate to the P33D4 code and is 23ish% the trigger for the code? 71300 miles is low for that low SOH and HX but it is a ~13 year old battery.
That was my thought! I am wondering if there is a linear correlation between regen bubbles and Hx--although somewhat obscured by real time variation in battery resistance due to temperature, SOC, etc. So, at 25% Hx, generally one bubble or less regen available?

Last edited:
That was my thought! I am wondering if there is a linear correlation between regen bubbles and Hx--although somewhat obscured by real time variation in battery resistance due to temperature, SOC, etc. So, at 25% Hx, generally one bubble or less regen available?
I definitely have regen, occasionally have seen 1 bubble. My normal trip to town is approx 8 km, all downhill and I add 4-6 km to the display of usable range. Then range display drops considerable on way home. So if start range display is 50km, it is 55 when I get to town, but 35 when I get back home (all uphill)

Most of my driving is in ECO mode, and very gentle/slow driving

The previous owner charged the car mainly using 16amp home charging, I use 8amp

I definitely have regen, occasionally have seen 1 bubble. My normal trip to town is approx 8 km, all downhill and I add 4-6 km to the display of usable range. Then range display drops considerable on way home. So if start range display is 50km, it is 55 when I get to town, but 35 when I get back home (all uphill)

Most of my driving is in ECO mode, and very gentle/slow driving

The previous owner charged the car mainly using 16amp home charging, I use 8amp
If you search for that P33D4 code, there are links out there, for example: https://mynissanleaf.com/threads/gradual-capacity-loss-gcl.30599/ . Right now, I would not be able to say that this code is trigger by Hx, SOH, or a combo of those. I suspect there will be plenty more of these going forward, with cars that have packs that are still balancing relative well, but really aged.

Back