EVSE Extender Cord?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeftieBiker

Staff member
This is mainly a question for Ingineer, but not exclusively. Would you be interested in offering a EVSE to car extender cord, with a socket for the J-1772 nozzle on one end (and maybe a locking mechanism), and another nozzle at the far end? In my search for one, I've seen a fair number of EV owners with the same problem: they need a bit more reach for their EVSE. If this can be made, you'd want to try both a short extension for those who don't need more than 6' or so, and a longer one for those who need to add 10' (or more?) to the reach of their EVSE. Is this feasible? I know that I'd much rather get such an extender, and pay $200 - $250 for it, than pay twice that for an L-2 charging station that would also need to be wired and mounted...

Designing an in-line L2 socket for 3D Printing is not
difficult, since a socket is already on Thingiverse.

The socket would need male pins, since the plug has
the female "pins" as I recall.

Then, just buy a 20 or 25 foot standard J1772 cord for
around $135, and add the 3D Printed in-line socket.

Maybe somebody can work on getting the male pins,
and J... might be able to modify his "J1772 Socket"
design for a suitable in-line socket design?

Use CAUTION, high voltages and currents are involved.

That's why I think Ingineer would be ideal to develop this. He already works with EVSE component replacement, and while he might not have a 3-D printer, there are probably sockets already available.

There's been someone on e-bay trying to sell on for a few months - that one has a temp sensor (on which end?). TucsonEV also sells one.

How often would you use it? For me, maybe once a quarter - invaluable when you need it, but how much would you (I) pay to use it maybe 9 times
in the course of a 3 year lease?

LeftieBiker said:
This is mainly a question for Ingineer, but not exclusively. Would you be interested in offering a EVSE to car extender cord, with a socket for the J-1772 nozzle on one end (and maybe a locking mechanism), and another nozzle at the far end? In my search for one, I've seen a fair number of EV owners with the same problem: they need a bit more reach for their EVSE. If this can be made, you'd want to try both a short extension for those who don't need more than 6' or so, and a longer one for those who need to add 10' (or more?) to the reach of their EVSE. Is this feasible? I know that I'd much rather get such an extender, and pay $200 - $250 for it, than pay twice that for an L-2 charging station that would also need to be wired and mounted...
$220-$250 is the cost of the connectors alone, no cable or labor. Not going to happen, until prices come down.

Then, just buy a 20 or 25 foot standard J1772 cord for
around $135, and add the 3D Printed in-line socket.
Gary,
Where can I get a 20-25 foot J1772 cable for $135, the connector alone is $135 from TusonEV.

Here's the open EVSE list of J1772 cable sources...

http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/J1772CableSources" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$135 gets you a 15 amp cord, not sufficient for a 2011-2012 LEAF. The LEAF uses 18 amps at 208 volts.

srl99 said:
TucsonEV also sells one.
Yep, the only one I know of: http://www.tucsonev.com/J1772Extension.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$280 plus shipping for 20ft cord. Longer lengths available at an extra $2.50/ft.

drees said:
srl99 said:
TucsonEV also sells one.
Yep, the only one I know of: http://www.tucsonev.com/J1772Extension.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$280 plus shipping for 20ft cord. Longer lengths available at an extra $2.50/ft.

I'll probably buy it. I wasn't able to find it when I searched. looks like it *is* possible to offer one in the price range I suggested.

srl99 said:
There's been someone on e-bay trying to sell on for a few months - that one has a temp sensor (on which end?). TucsonEV also sells one.

How often would you use it? For me, maybe once a quarter - invaluable when you need it, but how much would you (I) pay to use it maybe 9 times
in the course of a 3 year lease?

I searched Ebay for "EVSE" and it wasn't there. If anyone has a link, I'd appreciate it. How often would I use it? I'd connect it and leave it connected, using it about 5 days a week. We are getting a Prius PHEV and I'll need it to reach the Prius with the garage-based EVSE. I don't need it for the Leaf but I don't need to disconnect it, either.

Try searching J1772. As I recall, it was $465, I'll take my usual commission if you buy it :) .

For $250-ish, buy the ModularEV J1772 to NEMA 14-50 adaptor, and then use your own EVSE as the extension cord.

Much lighter and simpler.

http://modularevpower.com/Sales_J1772_to_NEMA_14-50_Adapters.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
For $250-ish, buy the ModularEV J1772 to NEMA 14-50 adaptor, and then use your own EVSE as the extension cord.

http://modularevpower.com/Sales_J1772_to_NEMA_14-50_Adapters.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eh? How do I use my EVSE to extend itself, adapter or not...?

LeftieBiker said:
TonyWilliams said:

Eh? How do I use my EVSE to extend itself, adapter or not...?

Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do. If its extending a J1772 connection, the above will do it.

You would plug the current J1772 into the ModularEV device, and then plug your portable Panasonic (presumably modified to 240 volts) also into the ModularEV device with a NEMA 14-50 adaptor, and start charging.

What exactly do you have in mind?

Now I see the confusion. I'm already using the car's EVSE, to L-1 charge. Thus there is no second EVSE to use as an extension. The garage has no way to get 240 volts, so I won't be installing an EVSE on or in it - not unless the price of an L-1 EVSE drops by 50%.

LeftieBiker said:
Now I see the confusion. I'm already using the car's EVSE, to L-1 charge. Thus there is no second EVSE to use as an extension. The garage has no way to get 240 volts, so I won't be installing an EVSE on or in it - not unless the price of an L-1 EVSE drops by 50%.

So, what are you trying to extend?

LeftieBiker said:

So you are trying to spend hundreds of dollars on something that can be achieved with a $25 extension cord?

Back