EVSE Extender Cord?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Tony!
A re-drew this to better understand it and it really does work! It is so simple! Its too bad the plugs are still so darn expensive. (the EVSE cable is not cheap either)

I was over-thinking the whole thing. :)

TonyWilliams said:
LeftieBiker said:
TonyWilliams said:
Just to be clear, if the advertising for the "extender cord" had merely said "outdoor-rated", that would have sold you that product. Interesting.
I never got a shipping price for it. If it has been much over$300 that would have killed the deal as well.

Ok, well I get the price resistance. We all value things differently.

Here's my "weather resistant" (as any other J1772 device is) J1772 Extension Cord. First, start with this:

30 Amp J1772 Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charge Connector with 25 Ft. Cord $173.36

Then, modify it this way:

J1772extensionCord.jpg

essaunders said:
Given Tony has suggested a way to deal with the proximity - I wonder what it would take to make this cable smart. We'd need to monitor the host evse pilot and only pass a maximum pilot of 30A.

It might be simpler to just make it an EVSE, since that's already available. But, I like challenges, however I don't have the skills to create a circuit that will:

1) EVSE > than 30 amps, output 30 amp pulse wave modulation (PWM) only
2) EVSE </= to 30 amps, let EVSE's PWM pass through unchanged

jclemens said:
Thanks Tony!
A re-drew this to better understand it and it really does work! It is so simple! Its too bad the plugs are still so darn expensive. (the EVSE cable is not cheap either)

I was over-thinking the whole thing. :)

Which is why I was having trouble following the "issues", since I didn't see any. It's easy to overlook the obvious sometimes.

Now, you smarter guys than me need to design the "Tony Williams Brand J1772 SMART Extension":

1) EVSE > than 30 amps, output 30 amp pulse wave modulation (PWM) only
2) EVSE </= to 30 amps, let EVSE's PWM pass through unchanged

The 30 amp cable at Leviton appears to have changed. I only see 4 conductors now (*Cord Type EVE - 3 X 10 AWG & 1 X 18 AWG conductors).

their 15 amp cable still shows 2 x 18 AWG....

anybody got a 2x 10 & 2 x 18 source?

essaunders said:
The 30 amp cable at Leviton appears to have changed. I only see 4 conductors now (*Cord Type EVE - 3 X 10 AWG & 1 X 18 AWG conductors).

Printed on the cable or internet description?

I wish my 16a Leviton had a cable with 2x 12, 14G, and the #18 (or smaller) signal wires just make it lighter and more flexable.

Leviton has indeed discontinued their J1772 charge cables / plugs, and replaced them with Yazaki brand ones. Those only use four conductors. We found out the hard way when building customer JLongtm J1772 extension cords. Yes, Leviton still have some of the 15 amp units in stock, and those use 14 gauge power conductors and two 18 gauge communication wires.

We are now building our own nine conductor cables for both the JLongtm 40 amp J1772 extension cord and the JESLAtm 40 amp portable J1772 EVSE.

smkettner said:
essaunders said:

Printed on the cable or internet description?

I wish my 16a Leviton had a cable with 2x 12, 14G, and the #18 (or smaller) signal wires just make it lighter and more flexable.

Description only. Their smaller cable is listed as having two signal wires.

smkettner said:
TonyWilliams said:
Leviton has indeed discontinued their J1772 charge cables / plugs, and replaced them with Yazaki brand ones.
Is this an updated standard? Or is two just not needed?
The extra wire is used for the proximity, which does not need to connect back to the EVSE. It was always a bit of a mystery to me why they had that conductor there anyway. Leaving it out saves money, and makes the cable slightly lighter and more flexible...Of course for an extender, it comes in handy, allowing the switch on either plug to interrupt the current flow.

smkettner said:
TonyWilliams said:
Leviton has indeed discontinued their J1772 charge cables / plugs, and replaced them with Yazaki brand ones.
Is this an updated standard? Or is two just not needed?

Same standard. The custom in the EVSE industry is to put the two required resistors in the J1772 plug, thus eliminating the need for a proximity wire in the cable.

But, there's no reason that those resistors couldn't be in the EVSE "brick", which would require the proximity wire.

For an extension cord, it requires the proximity wire so that the disconnect measure can be sent from any part of the J1772 device upstream.

Back