Exterior Color Options

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank

Please consider offering Liquid Copper as an exterior color for the Leaf. This color was offered by Infiniti on its FX models. It is a vibrant color that will turn heads, but not so vibrant that potential buyers won't be interested in it. I associate copper with electricity, and this bright copper color will make the Leaf appear electrifying.

I was hoping for a vivid yellow (yes, call me crazy). The first vehicle I drove was yellow, and the first car I purchased was yellow. Especially with the fact that I've got solar panels at home, I thought a yellow Leaf would have been perfect. Oh well, boring silver for me.

It is my personal policy to never call a man who wants a yellow car, "crazy". Unless i am absolutely sure he has already been detained. ;)

I now have a "ever green" Maxima. The green is so dark, everyone calls it black - unless it is shining in the Sun which happens all of a week a year in Seattle.

I love the color of true, polished copper, and it would be entirely appropriate. Unfortunately I've never seen that lustre and reflectivity adequately reproduced with paint. You usually get something that's too Orange, too Bronze, too Red, or just too un-Coppery :) I'd love to be proven wrong though!

As far as green, I'd say they went out of their way to avoid it. My speculation is they're trying to emphasize that these are "real cars", something new, and not "your father's electric car", if that makes any sense...

Agreed a greater variety of colors would be great (ex: 8 or 9 colors)

my suggestions;

1- Tinted Bronze
2- Dark Forest Green
3- Deep Saphire

I want light colors, for solar heat reflection.

light copper
light powder blue
light green tint

my wife might go for a light pink
(When she saw an Aptera photo-shopped in pink, she went from "I don't want one." to "Now, I want one too!".)

funk white with racing stripe...Nissan, copy the Italians...they KNOW style...reliability, for that they are not as strong as the Japanese, but when it comes to style...they got that in spades... :)

fiat-500-abarth1.jpg

Gavin

JasonT said:
I was hoping for a vivid yellow (yes, call me crazy). The first vehicle I drove was yellow, and the first car I purchased was yellow. Especially with the fact that I've got solar panels at home, I thought a yellow Leaf would have been perfect. Oh well, boring silver for me.

I agree and add that there is a reason that fire engines are yellow - visibility. Insurers should give a discount for yellow cars.

Why are people in hot climates interested in any color other than white or silver. Anything else is going to end up using more energy to cool the interior. Are we trying to save energy or not?

To conserve energy only up until the point that it starts to impact your image is not much different than a Hummer driver who recycles his beer cans. :D It might be to a far lesser degree, but it's the same concept. I live in Houston and can't make up my mind between silver and pearl white. The light blue is pretty but that's just too girly for me. :lol:

retrodog said:
It might be to a far lesser degree, but it's the same concept.

But "degree" is what matters - since all of us use a lot of energy compared to say an average Bangladeshi.

retrodog said:
Why are people in hot climates interested in any color other than white or silver. Anything else is going to end up using more energy to cool the interior. Are we trying to save energy or not?

To conserve energy only up until the point that it starts to impact your image is not much different than a Hummer driver who recycles his beer cans. :D It might be to a far lesser degree, but it's the same concept. I live in Houston and can't make up my mind between silver and pearl white. The light blue is pretty but that's just too girly for me. :lol:

There's one suggestion somewhere on the forum that the interior color has more impact on cabin temperature than outside color. :?

retrodog said:

To conserve energy only up until the point that it starts to impact your image is not much different than a Hummer driver who recycles his beer cans. :D ...

There's a saying, "Perfection is the enemy of the good".

Sometimes we have a tendency to extrapolate everything to its maximal conclusion. I often bicycle to work, about 3 hours per day of riding. At work I'm on the 2nd floor. People get seriously confused when I take the elevator.

"If you bike to work, why wouldn't you take the stairs?"

Well, A: It's not a religion. B: With 3 hours a day of good exercise, climbing one flight of stairs hardly matters.

Same with Leaf color choice. There are so many benefits that accrue in terms of emissions, efficiency, economy of power expenditures staying in our economy, balance of trade, geopolitical implications, mitigating and forestalling the societal impacts of Peak Oil, etc... A few watt-hours here or there based on color choice is splitting hairs.

That being said, I am leaning towards white for the heat rejection. Not because I'm doing eco-penance, but for 2 other reasons. First, I tend to expect that the AC in the car will be adequate, but not overpowering. Second, I'd rather not waste range unnecessarily.

Back