Faulty passenger airbag sensor

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctmcintyre

Has anyone else experienced a faulty sensor with the passenger airbag? When my 90lb daughter and 130lb wife sits in the passenger seat, there is no consistency with whether the airbag will be ON or OFF. Often, the airbag is ON with my daughter and OFF with my wife. The dealer has "reset" the airbag four times and says "it's working as expected". I've spoken with Nissan Electric consumer affairs and they said there's nothing they can do and they refused to let me talk to their supervisor.

This is unacceptable and a major safety hazard. Plus horrible customer service to boot.

Any ideas on how to protect my family?

The next time that your wife is in the car, and the airbag is turned OFF, I would drive straight to the dealer and show it to the Service Manager. If they have already performed the recalibration procedure 4 times, and it still fails, I would insist that they replace the sensor, or face a lawsuit. An airbag is a HUGE safety concern. My wife would not ride in my Prius when the sensor got out of calibration.

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I just noticed this with my 100# mother over the past two weeks. More than half the time the "airbag off" light would come on with her in the seat. I took it to a local dealer service the other day and they ran some "NODRQX" test and it showed "no problem found at this time" so they replaced/reprogrammed nothing.

I just got off the Leaf chat with a Nissan rep. He stated that it could be my mother being on the lighter side, but he did indicate that the sensor is supposed to detect anyone over 80lbs, which is a good 20lbs below my mother's weight.

All he stated was that 1. I have my mother shift around in the seat to try to activate the sensor, which I did have her do unsuccessfully, 2. have a heavier person try sitting in the seat, and 3. bring the car to another dealer.

His suggestions only ticked me off more as 1. it is ridiculous to be asking a rider to be doing a little dance each time he sits in the car, 2. even if a heavy person appropriately triggers the airbag sensor, it does not help my mother's situation, and 3. another dealer will probably do the same NODRQX test and tell me nothing is wrong and repair/replace nothing.

I was able to get this problem on video. The service rep told me that even capturing the problem on video does not help any if they are still unable to reproduce the problem at the service center. I don't understand why if the car is under factory warranty, why they don't start replace one part after another until the problem is corrected like a reputable company is supposed to do. Like the OP, I may have to contact the NHTSA or seek legal advice by this point. Nissan should be obligated to put a sticker on the car stating that anyone under 100# should not sit in the front passenger seat. After this experience, this will definitely be my last Nissan ever.

I know about the 13-14 Leaf airbag recall. My is a '15.

I escalated this issue up through Nissan Corporate in Tennessee. After showing them multiple videos of the passenger airbag malfunctioning, they got back to me with, "Everything is working as designed."

It's still an issue. The airbag will go OFF with my 135 lb wife.

I love the car, but I'll never buy another Nissan again.

Keep in mind that it might be more dangerous for you Mother if the airbag goes off, at her size. At least have anyone of that size sit far from the dash.

She is what you would call petite, but not child size. The passenger seat is pushed quite far back already as she doesnt need it forward since she isnt the one driving.

Just like the OP, spending $30k on a car and then finding out the death seat is living up to its name for people in your family, and the company not taking responsibility for the issue leaves a very bad taste in your mouth.

Back