Free EV Charging in San Francisco through 2013

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn

Monday's SF Examiner reports:
Electric-vehicle chargers will be made available free of charge at city-owned parking garages and at San Francisco International Airport until the end of 2013... The nearly 90 new plug-ins are designed to provide a “top-off” supplement for the home chargers of electric-car owners, who now make up only a small fraction of The City’s total traffic...Installation is set to begin next month, and all of the new stations should be in place by year’s end.
The article - http://tinyurl.com/3znm4um - lists garages that will host stations and also mentions that 30 "fast chargers" (their quotes) will be provided.

Glenn

Glenn said:
Electric-vehicle chargers will be made available free of charge at city-owned parking garages and at San Francisco International Airport until the end of 2013... The nearly 90 new plug-ins are designed to provide a “top-off” supplement for the home chargers of electric-car owners, who now make up only a small fraction of The City’s total traffic...Installation is set to begin next month, and all of the new stations should be in place by year’s end.
The article - http://tinyurl.com/3znm4um - lists garages that will host stations and also mentions that 30 "fast chargers" (their quotes) will be provided.

Glenn

I will believe it when I can drive up to a fast charger and it works. Right now I have a $700 option that I paid for, no thanks to the EV Project, that I'm still waiting to use. This is good news that we may finally see some public infrastucture in the Bay Area!

Excellent news!

I hope they put a CHAdeMO at SF airport short term parking!

Glenn said:

Glenn

That's great news for those of us who want to drive our LEAFs to SF from Silicon Valley. We may need to pay for parking at the city garages, but in the near term we shouldn't have too much problem finding a parking space, unless an ICE takes the space first.

If you read the article you will see that it is discussing two different things: 90 "chargers" for SF garages and 2,750 "chargers" for the Bay Area. The 30 "fast chargers" (which of course are the only real chargers) are part of the 2,750, not part of the 90. I don't see any direct indication that the $300K for SF garages includes any QC stations, though $300K/90 = $3,300 average price, which seems a bit high. So there may be a few QC stations included for SF in this.

Ray

KeiJidosha said:
This will be handy on my way up to to CAFE Green Flight Challenge in Santa Rosa in July. Thanks!
I'd be cautious assuming there will be anything new in place by July. While there are a couple of stations up already, the article says "by year's end" so I'd plan that Santa Rosa trip as a New Year's party! :)

Glenn

Interesting that this evening's edition of SFGate - http://tinyurl.com/43ec8mr, posted after the official press release, has a few different details.

"90" charging stations has become "more than 80" but even more potentially discouraging is this: "The city may experiment with a handful of 480-volt chargers, which can power a compatible electric car to 80 percent capacity in less than a half-hour."

Prepare to backpedal...

Glenn

Back