Future enhancement : rear wheel, DC generators

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adding anything to the rear wheels is senseless. The LEAF is CAPABLE of 80kw or regen but they have it software limited to about 30Kw. If you wanted more regen it is a simple software adjustment and requires no real wheel anything. For those that really want extra regen, I'm making a roof-mounted wind generator for highway use, it's called the blow-over-unity.

I would really like to see a motor/generator on the rear wheels for all-wheel-drive, as LakeLeaf suggested. Then we wouldn't need to keep a separate AWD car around just to satisfy California's winter tire chain requirements for snowy areas. (Never mind that snow tires and good winter driving skills will do more for you than AWD.)

DrillbabyDrill said:
Ya know, I hear this and see this a lot, and I don't even have my Leaf yet. My dad brought this up, in fact. Although it is funny to us, some people think it's actually some huge conspiracy, i.e. that companies don't want to let the common man in on the secret. And if you care about people being informed, you have to go out of your way to explain it, which is a lot harder (but not as fun) than quipping "go take a 10th grade physics class, asshole."

I'd like a very simple analogy about why this scenario doesn't work. As soon as I mention heat, or friction, I lose people. Anyone have any?
Heat is bad. It represents energy the system has lost, and can not be recovered.
Where is heat generated? Tires. Power electronics.
That explains why ICE are only 20% efficient - the other 80% is lost as heat.

An explanation or analogy is a super ball. Those hard rubber balls that are very bouncy seem to have energy in them but when dropped on to a hard surface they don't return to the same height on every bounce and after a few bounces they will stop bouncing. An electric motor connected to a generator is like that bouncing ball, the electricity generated can't keep up with the electricity consumed by the motor and eventually both come to rest.

There is a valid point about using additional regeneration in the leaf, if the regeneration was high enough, then there would be no need for friction brakes {provided there is a place for the excess energy to go}. Instead of heating the brakes, the energy could do something useful.

DrillbabyDrill said:
I'd like a very simple analogy about why this scenario doesn't work. As soon as I mention heat, or friction, I lose people. Anyone have any?
Consider gold. It is possible (though not practical) to create gold using nuclear reactions, but apart from that, the amount of gold that exists on earth has always been here. It can't be created, and it can't be destroyed. It can be melted, vaporized, mixed with other metals, pounded into thin flexible sheets that are almost weightless, or made into heavy bars. But there is always the same amount of gold, though some of it is underground where we haven't found it yet. Energy is the same way. It can be created (and very practically, too!) using nuclear reactions, but apart from that, and the energy poured onto our planet by the sun -- which of course is a giant nuclear reaction -- and radiated back into space, the amount of energy we have is always the same, though some of it is underground where we haven't found it yet. Energy can be heat, or electricity, or mechanical, or chemical, among other things, but it can never come from nowhere. A gasoline engine turns chemical energy into mechanical energy, with a lot of it escaping as heat. An electric motor turns electric energy into mechanical energy, with a little of it escaping as heat. A generator turns mechanical energy into electric energy, with a little of it escaping as heat. If you try to combine an electric motor and a generator you always end up with less energy than you started with, because some of it always gets away as heat. And that is without any mechanical energy left over to make the car move!

Now, where this explanation gets complicated is if you try to talk about mechanical energy in terms of inertia and gravitational potential or chemical energy in terms of bonds between atoms in a molecule. Hopefully you won't have to go that deep with most people. What you have to do is focus on the first law of thermodynamics (without calling it that). Once a person really understands that energy, like gold, can't ever be created outside a nuclear reaction they will stop chasing after perpetual motion.

Ray

I used to get asked about putting an alternator on the rear wheels of my home-made electric car. So I made this video a few years ago to explain why that won't work:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJKRpqnbdFg[/youtube]

I'm going to make the argument that this WOULD work... if you can find a way to decouple it when you aren't braking. Let's ignore the extra weight and power needed to decouple. Perpetually long declines would also help a lot. :p

adric22 said:
I used to get asked about putting an alternator on the rear wheels of my home-made electric car. So I made this video a few years ago to explain why that won't work
Very nicely done, David, but I was trying to focus on an aspect that you seemed to dismiss quickly as obvious. I think the real problem is that most people are totally unaware that there is a first law of thermodynamics, and its very existence makes no sense to them at all. I mean, come on! I pour a gallon of gas into a car and it goes, and goes, and goes. Something has to be creating energy to make that work. I stop, and there is obviously no more energy. Somehow that energy just disappeared. Without even realizing it, most people think of energy as transitory. So why shouldn't we be able to create some with a generator connected to the rear wheels?

Ray

P.S. folks. Please don't try to rebut my silly statements above. That wasn't me talking; that was the 98% of the population who don't think scientifically about the nature of energy.

planet4ever said:
adric22 said:
I used to get asked about putting an alternator on the rear wheels of my home-made electric car. .
Oh.. and in the video I never actually got back to my point about the auto mechanics. It seems to me that people who work on cars are the most likely person to argue about the perpetual motion issue. And I think the reason is because many of them have held an alternator in their hands and seen how easy it is to spin. But obviously it would be impossible for them to have experienced the drag since it would need to be in the car and belted up before it would produce any. The general public seems a bit more willing to accept my argument when I explain to them about the drag of the alternator.

Back