Gid sensitivity to temperature

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
16C and 271 this morning. up down up down. not sure i can say my pack is at 271-272 or 275-276. granted its a one percent difference. either way, looks like my new normal is the low 270's

Has anyone with considerable variability in their daily ambient temperatures watched the gid count following a charge, while remaining parked, and neither charging nor discharging the battery, to see if the gid count changes (declines, presumably) as the ambient temperature warms during the day? (8/29 edit- Or watched to see if the gid count increases, as the battery cools overnight?)

I've had my car parked at following a "80%" timer charge for a few days, with nighttime lows around 60 F, and daytime highs around 90 F.

The charge bars increase from 9 to 10 in the early morning, and decline back to 9 late in the afternoon, shortly after the battery temp bars increase from 5 to 6.

(8/28 edit- On the last test cycle, it went back up to 10 bars by one AM the next morning, completing a 10 bar to 9 bar to 10 bar cycle, without any charging or significant battery discharge.)

Just wondering if this charge bar variability by temperature, is reflecting gid count variability, or if something else is causing it.

It would be nice to have a gauge that just told me the difference between "normal" Gids, and the number of Gids I'm able to get to following the latest charge, so I can watch it decline.

I guess I'm looking for a GID DIP METER

:lol: (Sorry...NOT!)

Just click "next"--you were the unintended victim of a ham radio joke.

edatoakrun said:
Has anyone with considerable variability in their daily ambient temperatures watched the gid count following a charge, while remaining parked, and neither charging nor discharging the battery, to see if the gid count changes (declines, presumably) as the ambient temperature warms during the day?

I've had my car parked at following a "80%" timer charge for a few days, with nighttime lows around 60 F, and daytime highs around 90 F. The charge bars increase from 9 to 10 in the early morning, and decline back to 9 late in the afternoon, shortly after the battery temp bars increase from 5 to 6.
In theory I would expect this behavior to be unrelated to Gid count, though I have no data on it in practice. Gid count should tell you the amount of energy in the battery. Available charge bars should tell you how full the battery is. The battery capacity does change as it heats or cools, but that shouldn't change the amount of energy it is storing. At moderate temperatures (say, 6 TB or less) one would expect that the capacity would go up as the battery warms up. That would make it less full (without holding less energy), so you might lose a charge bar while the Gid count remained the same.

Imagine having a glass with some water in it, and in some magical way the glass expands horizontally when you heat it but the water doesn't expand or evaporate. (I told you it was magical.) The water level will drop in the glass, but you haven't lost any water. Think of available charge bars as the water level, and Gids as the weight of the water.

Ray

P.S. Please note that I did not say Gid count is independent of temperature. Quite the opposite. Gid count should be dependent on the battery temperature at the time it was charged. edatoakrun was talking about a change in battery temperature after it was charged.

="planet4ever"
edatoakrun said:
Has anyone with considerable variability in their daily ambient temperatures watched the gid count following a charge, while remaining parked, and neither charging nor discharging the battery, to see if the gid count changes (declines, presumably) as the ambient temperature warms during the day?

I've had my car parked at following a "80%" timer charge for a few days, with nighttime lows around 60 F, and daytime highs around 90 F. The charge bars increase from 9 to 10 in the early morning, and decline back to 9 late in the afternoon, shortly after the battery temp bars increase from 5 to 6.
In theory I would expect this behavior to be unrelated to Gid count, though I have no data on it in practice. Gid count should tell you the amount of energy in the battery. Available charge bars should tell you how full the battery is. The battery capacity does change as it heats or cools, but that shouldn't change the amount of energy it is storing...

"Gid count should tell you the amount of energy in the battery..."

Of course the energy stored as the battery heats and cools should not change.

But, in my experience the capacity bars do.

It seems that gid value, the amount of wH each gid represents, may vary correlating to long or short term ambient temperatures. Take a look at TickTock's observations.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An7gtcYL2Oy0dHNwVmRkNkFnaEVOQTVENW5mOTZlb0E&pli=1#gid=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TickTock

...although 80Wh may be the nominal target for 1 gid, it can be off by as much as 10%...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=9689&hilit=ticktock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I am asking is, has anyone with a gid meter confirmed that the Wh value per gid does not vary with temperature for the same charge level, for the same charge?

If they do not, then the capacity bars, which do vary with temperature for the same charge level, for the same charge, must be reflecting something other than just the gid count. Quite possibly, they reflect the smaller or larger percentage of the higher or lower capacity, of the warmer or colder battery.

Ed; i think i have indirect evidence. last week, i charged to 100% and car sat plugged in a few hours before being driven but had 3 regen circles which implies it was not fully charged.

now the charge completed during hottest part of day and was driven when ambient temps were slightly lower but radiant temps were probably much lower.

not sure how much of a factor this plays because i see evidence that any valid GID reading takes several days of "balancing" or something to reach its maximum value.

Back