Grid Tied PV Members: TOU? ... or Not

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thankyouOB said:
at LADWP, there is significant advantage to TOU.
There is no loss of banked funds at the end of the year, only when you move.

With TOU, you produce in the four summer months at 22 cents a kWh and consume at 11 cents.
In the darker months, the ratio is closer but still advantages the daytime versus nighttime.

You dont need a second meter, unless you want to go on the EV rate, which allows you to save 2.5 cents on every kWh used to power the car, but it also requires a second service fee. I dont see any advantage to that.

Where is the link to the authoritative LADWP billing methods? I have not received a straight story from anyone including at the DWP.

DrRocket said:
thankyouOB said:
at LADWP, there is significant advantage to TOU.
There is no loss of banked funds at the end of the year, only when you move.

With TOU, you produce in the four summer months at 22 cents a kWh and consume at 11 cents.
In the darker months, the ratio is closer but still advantages the daytime versus nighttime.

You dont need a second meter, unless you want to go on the EV rate, which allows you to save 2.5 cents on every kWh used to power the car, but it also requires a second service fee. I dont see any advantage to that.

Where is the link to the authoritative LADWP billing methods? I have not received a straight story from anyone including at the DWP.
http://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/cms/ladwp001710.jsp

No, at least not for now. When I got a PV installation, I deliberately sized it for an EV (even though I had to pay additional up-front costs not rebated by LADWP, who will only rebate for a system sized to provide 100% of your average usage over the past 2 years).

I'm on net metering, which SHOULD allow me to stay in LADWP's tier 1 billing rates pretty much year round. However, I have yet to receive a bill from LADWP with a meter reading on it, even though the PV installation was turned on almost 6 months ago, so I can't be sure of this.

If I find out that net metering isn't enough to offset all of my EV usage, I may look into whole-house TOU metering. But in no case will I be doing a separate circuit with TOU metering just for the EV, as (according to LADWP), I can't use the credits from my PV plant to offset the EV usage.

So both my house (with the PV plant) and the EVSE HAVE to be on the same feed. I have a TOU-capable smart meter installed as my primary meter (LADWP did this as part of the PV installation), so I can switch to whole-house TOU with just a phone call (I think).

Definitely TOU. I generate about 3.4MWhrs/year and consume around 4.5MWhrs/year (pre-Leaf) from my 2.2kW system. My annualized cost to PG&E is 0 (except for the ~$5.5/month for the grid-intertie).

Back