Group Buy for 240v home charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lion said:
I'm almost ready with a group buy deal on a high quality EVSE (~30A, more than enough for the new LEAF charger), no hassle. I will post complete details (make/model/specs) once I am done negotiating with the manufacturer on ChargeNY.com, but will post on here as well if you guys are interested. Nothing in it for me, I'm only doing this with the intention of helping EVs become more accepted.

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on an EVSE and wanted to check to see how your negotiating is coming?

The manufacturer came through with great pricing, but then in the end, made it so I would have to buy them all at once, shipped all to my house, and deal with all the money myself.

Between the double shipping, and transaction charges, this would negate the savings. I sent them a follow-up e-mail, and also have some feelers out with other manufacturers, but they are pretty slow moving companies (since they are so large). So at this point, it's not looking too great, but will post a follow-up if they come through (sorry, don't want to keep you waiting).

Right now, the best deal seems to be the Leviton 30A model Home Depot has on sale with the included installation kit. It's pretty easy to get a hold of a 10% coupon, making it a pretty hot deal.

That said, if you don't need a fast charger, Bosch just announced a new series of chargers, with the cheapest one (only 16A tho) starting at $450.

The Home Depot Leviton Level 2 30-Amp with free Installation Kit is a good deal at $849. However, this unit does not have a holster for the handle.

Home Depot offers the Siemens Versicharge for the same price, but is currently out of stock online. I'm not sure that I understand that because I bought mine there and it was apparently shipped directly from Siemens. Sometimes Amazon offers the Siemens at $849, but currently, it's $995 with 4 left in stock. Free shipping with Amazon Prime.

I actually use a retractable dog leash to hoist the handle into the rafters when I'm done, so the cable/handle never touches the floor, and I don't have to do any winding. Might be another option if your garage ceiling hasn't been finished ;)

I'm also interested in the group buy. I've been looking at the L2 Clipper Creek unit for $549 since it's UL listed... I need something soon since I'm only doing L1 charging at home right now..

Jason

I could not wait for you guys to do a group purchase, I needed to install something ASAP. So I bought a Leviton 40A Charger from Amazon. Below are the links of what I bought and pictures of my install.

My Leviton 40A Charger was $1099 with free shipping from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-EVB40-PST-9-6KW-Charging-Station/dp/B00DG147DQ/ref=dp_ob_title_hi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 60 feet of 6/2 wire was $80: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-125-ft-6-2-NM-B-Wire-28894402/202316592#.UddrKRaauZc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Leviton mounting kit was $85: http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-EVK05-M-Installation-EVB32-8ML-EVB32-5ML/dp/B007Q12X6U/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 50A 2 pole Breaker was $15: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-by-Schneider-Electric-QO-50-Amp-Two-Pole-Circuit-Breaker-QO250CP/100067584#.UddsUxaauZc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Total cost around $1300.00

Here are some pics of the Leviton I bought:

LasareathLeaf13_sm.jpg

LasareathLeaf14_sm.jpg

LasareathLeaf14a_sm.jpg

LasareathLeaf15_sm.jpg

LasareathLeaf20a_sm.jpg

LasareathLeaf20_sm.jpg

LasareathLeaf21_sm.jpg

LasareathLeaf22_sm.jpg

LasareathLeaf22a_sm.jpg

LasareathLeaf23_sm.jpg

LasareathLeaf24_sm.jpg

LasareathLeaf25_sm.jpg

Thanks,

Lasareath

That looks like a nice install! I just picked up my LEAF and looking at L2 chargers. There is so much out there so confused as hell. I might pickup a TESLA Model S in a year or so but not sure. What was your reasoning to go this route?

Back