Group Buy for 240v home charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did PM the info. Only info I didn't include was the address itself, but I stated I would provide it right away once you gave me the pricing info via PM, as I wasn't sure I would participate (no sense in giving it to you if I am not joining, which depends on price).

Wait, we have to play Russian roulette with our private data? You won't even give us the pricing info via a private message, unless we give you our address?

You stated if you have more than 6 people interested, you would let us know the price.

Once I have at least 6 buyers, I can send you the price which will be well below the listed price. If you can pick up the cable in North Atlanta (OTP) then there would be even more room for discount.

You have 6 buyers, I expressed interest, you could have easily let me know the price in private so I could decide if I want to buy. I don't buy products without knowing the price in advance (who the heck does?).

I have been running online communities for many years, and this is the first time a 'legit' group buy is using this approach, especially from a brand new user. Extremely frustrating, and I don't see why others are giving out their private information like this, this thread should be raising red flags.

I gave my credit card number, bank account details, passwords, SS#, DOB, mother's maiden name and I still didn't get the price or the seller info ..

<just kidding>

Thanks, not sure what the big deal is was if the savings wasn't that significant.

I have direct communications (as in, I have had a relationship with them for years, have met them in person) with some of the manufacturers, I'll check with them and see if they are interested in doing a group buy. I doubt it, but worth a shot, now that I see there is interest).

lion said:
I have been running online communities for many years, and this is the first time a 'legit' group buy is using this approach, especially from a brand new user. Extremely frustrating, and I don't see why others are giving out their private information like this, this thread should be raising red flags.
What information do you think it would've been appropriate to ask for instead?

I would have asked to send me a message to confirm if you are interested, or just post in this thread, while I updated the original post with the nicks of people interested. Once I have the numbers, I would have let the seller know I have this many buyers interested, and to let me know what his best price is for this many people, then relay this information back to the potential buyers.

There was no need for this cloak & dagger #$%, the seller could have easily told him the price for 1-10 buyers, 1-15 buyers, etc.

There was no need for accepting the name/address info at this stage, since people weren't sure if they were going to buy, and even backed out (just look at the posts above, including myself).

I'll just chalk it up to some real bad planning instead of ulterior motives (although this is usually the case), but I hope people keep this in mind before giving up your address and other info like next time there is a group buy done by a brand new user.

This was my first orchestration of a group buy and it has been time consuming.

A couple lessons and questions learned:

1) Get clear pricing from the get-go. Incorporate accessories, shipping and sales tax into the pricing. Will there be a discount on volume or will there be a discount apply to a limited quantity?
2) Determine how the orders will be placed. Will the organizer be buying them and then await payment? Will the seller process each order separately? How will this affect the price? What is the incentive for the seller if he can simply just take these orders online at full price?
3) How will it affect the buyer to have the discounted price disclosed?
4) If someone doesn't want to be a part of the group buy terms then don't include them.

All in all, the purpose of the group buy was for me to get a discounted price and we did that with group purchasing power!

gte037p said:
This was my first orchestration of a group buy and it has been time consuming.
Thanks, your efforts are appreciated.

Seems like this is a good learning experience for the board to figure out some standards for future group buys.

Thanks for setting this up. I was looking to buy this unit anyway so I appreciate the more than 10% off you were able to save me.

I'll confirm when I receive the unit.

Good by level 1! It just took me three over nights to recover from a very busy Sunday that ended in VLB warning!

I'm almost ready with a group buy deal on a high quality EVSE (~30A, more than enough for the new LEAF charger), no hassle. I will post complete details (make/model/specs) once I am done negotiating with the manufacturer on ChargeNY.com, but will post on here as well if you guys are interested. Nothing in it for me, I'm only doing this with the intention of helping EVs become more accepted.

Back