Had the P3227 reprogram done today: interesting results.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Leaf was reprogrammed on Sunday - yes Eastside Nissan service is open on Sunday. 100% GIF count on Bluetooth/Android app went from 220 to 243. I would say range has increased by at least 5 miles. So I'm willing to say Thank You Nissan. I am pleased with this direction - have to see where I am when cold weather comes but I may have gained another year of usable life. I don't need to stop at QC with this boost in range.

Wow, so we're seeing at least a couple confirmed reports of 4-5 miles more range being available now after the re-program.Looks like a lot of the early capacity loss really is due to firmware. I wonder where the capacity was hiding?

drees said:
Wow, so we're seeing at least a couple confirmed reports of 4-5 miles more range being available now after the re-program.Looks like a lot of the early capacity loss really is due to firmware. I wonder where the capacity was hiding?

It sure would have been nice to test this on a 4 bar loser car.

TonyWilliams said:
drees said:

It sure would have been nice to test this on a 4 bar loser car.

I will be scheduling the 2-year battery test and update on Silver 679 from the range test soon. After the update, I will have data for my 3-bar lost car. I had 188 Gids on a full 100% charge this morning.

Gerry

I'm skeptical if this is a real capacity increase. Probably it was just capacity that was below LBW, but still available. Driving a car to turtle before and after the update should give the same range, but between 100% and LBW is where should be the difference.

The only way to have a real capacity increase is discharging to a lower voltage and/or charging to a higher one. Or improved cell balancing...

The big question is: Will this increase be permanent or will the car eventually relearn and return to what capacity existed before the upgrade (similar to what happened to some of the Casa Grande cars in Arizona)? I do notice that my 80% charge Gid level appears to be slowly drifting down... It was 202 right after the update, then 201, 200 and today it is 199... I don't plan a full charge again until this weekend so it will be interesting to see what that delivers... A few months will tell what the real story is...

TaylorSFGuy said:
My Leaf was reprogrammed on Sunday - yes Eastside Nissan service is open on Sunday. 100% GIF count on Bluetooth/Android app went from 220 to 243. I would say range has increased by at least 5 miles. So I'm willing to say Thank You Nissan. I am pleased with this direction - have to see where I am when cold weather comes but I may have gained another year of usable life. I don't need to stop at QC with this boost in range.

vegastar said:
I'm skeptical if this is a real capacity increase. Probably it was just capacity that was below LBW, but still available. Driving a car to turtle before and after the update should give the same range, but between 100% and LBW is where should be the difference.
Without additional instrumentation, any capacity in the battery below VLBW is somewhat unusable, IMO. If some capacity has been moved from below VLBW to above it, that could be an improvement that will provide real benefits to all owners.
vegastar said:
The only way to have a real capacity increase is discharging to a lower voltage and/or charging to a higher one. Or improved cell balancing...
Agreed. One thing I have been wondering is if perhaps Nissan could be moving from basing capacity on that of the most degraded cell to perhaps basing it on the average or perhaps the median (or some other percentile) cell instead. This would indeed result in additional cycling for all cells, but perhaps most cells were being overly restricted by the previous approach. Such a change may cause the worst cell to fail more quickly, but that would allow the car to retain more range longer and the single module involved could be replaced under warranty.

Just a guess. Nothing more.

I had the reprogram completed on Saturday, at Peoria Nissan. they kept the car for six hours, however, I suspect that they did not begin the reprogram promptly. I lost my fourth bar about one month ago. Immediately after the reprogramming, my range appeared to jump up about 8 miles, now after a few days it appears to be about 4 miles better than prior to the update.

The reprogram did not recover any bars I am still at 8 bars.

kanji2 said:
I had the reprogram completed on Saturday, at Peoria Nissan. they kept the car for six hours, however, I suspect that they did not begin the reprogram promptly. I lost my fourth bar about one month ago. Immediately after the reprogramming, my range appeared to jump up about 8 miles, now after a few days it appears to be about 4 miles better than prior to the update.

Wait, what? :!:

At 8 bars you should be eligible for a battery refurb under the new warranty, right?

kanji2 said:

I'm going to guess that since you're new here, you are making assumptions on range based on the GOM, and not actually driving the car.

vegastar said:

Yes but the capacity of the pack isn't the only thing that can affect range. The electronics that measure and the programming that interpreters the readings can make it appear as if you have more or less capacity then you actually have. The only way to be 100% sure is to drop the pack and charge/discharge the pack while bypassing all on board electronics.

I had initially reported issues with my Leaf to Nissan almost one year ago, and recently when the fourth bar dropped. At that point, Nissan asked me to have the software upgrade first, perhaps thinking I would have a bar restored.

I drive my car just about everyday. During the weekdays I drive the same route so I am well aware of the miles I drive and the range before LBW. I have just over 32k miles on the Leaf. It does currently appear that the range prior to hitting LBW is now a little higher. I have never gone to VLBW or Turtle, nor have I ever quick charged.

I commute 72 miles round trip and have to trickle charge at work as my total range is now around 50 -54 miles at 100% charge depending on the wind/weather, congestion and average speed of the traffic flow.

I will give it a couple more days and then I will begin the battery warranty process.

Luft said:
Yes but the capacity of the pack isn't the only thing that can affect range. The electronics that measure and the programming that interpreters the readings can make it appear as if you have more or less capacity then you actually have.

This is what I've thought has been wrong all along. I still do. But clearly this fix isn't the magic bullet I thought it might be, (sadly) especially for those in AZ.

mwalsh said:
Luft said:
Yes but the capacity of the pack isn't the only thing that can affect range. The electronics that measure and the programming that interpreters the readings can make it appear as if you have more or less capacity then you actually have.

This is what I've thought has been wrong all along. I still do. But clearly this fix isn't the magic bullet I thought it might be, (sadly) especially for those in AZ.
I too fear that the capacity loss in AZ is related to high heat and its effects on our battery packs. Hopefully Nissan and others are working on a battery chemistry that will eliminate the problem. I see lots of promising ideas but it always seems that production is five years out. I just hope that when a major range improvement does come along, Nissan will remember their early adopters and provide compatible replacement cells.

I posted the rest of the data (post-P3227) here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10653&start=34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did not get the 12th CB back, and wall-to-car recharge was nearly identical from shutdown to 80% and 100% respectively compared to pre-P3227. However, a strange thing happened with the AHr ... it took several hours and an additional drive before it jumped higher ...

LEAFer said:
I posted the rest of the data (post-P3227) here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10653&start=34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did not get the 12th CB back, and wall-to-car recharge was nearly identical from shutdown to 80% and 100% respectively compared to pre-P3227. However, a strange thing happened with the AHr ... it took several hours and an additional drive before it jumped higher ...

Steve Marsh did not see any increase immediately either nor did he get his 12th bar back...at first. But now after 3 days or so (guessing from text msg timelines) , he has an additional 20 GIDs and 5 miles of range which is enough for him to not have to charge twice a day on the road back and forth to work. I think part of the range increase is due to the change in the weather. looking like a dry hot Summer this year for us which would be unlike last year when 90% of the country had a very hot Summer while ours was a few degrees below normal.

of course, we also went all Winter without any snow. Something that does happen every 5-10 years or so

DaveinOlyWA said:
wondering if this programing modified the BMS or simply just allows access to more of the pack?
I don't understand what distinction you are trying to make. It's the battery monitor system (which Nisson call the Lithium Battery Controller) that decides how much of the pack you can have access to.

Ray

I had mine done yesterday, and at the same battery temps my capacity loss is back to where it was before the warm weather started. Initially the reported capacity was ~94-95% and a full charge would show 94% but now that the weather has warmed up it was reporting ~90-91% capacity and charging only to 91%. After the reprogram I now show 94% capacity and a full charge was back to 94%.

Back