Had the P3227 reprogram done today: interesting results.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regen is definitely less for me. It's the one of the big reasons I opt'd out of the class action. Since P3227, I've taken a serious hit. 2/3 of my commute to work is at 65 mph downhill. I easily lose another bar just because of regen be max'd (but not allowing max regen). Seems pretty reasonable that they did this to protect the battery/reduce 'warranty' replacements...

mwalsh said:
I don't remember there being a time-frame for getting the update, just that you had to have the update to satisfy the requirement under the warranty.
Again with this assertion! Where is this coming from? Can anyone point to anything that Nissan has said to back it up? Here is what Brian Brockman quoted when he announced the new warranty:
If your vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge is already displaying eight (8) or fewer bars of capacity prior to the above referenced software update (and within the first 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first), your Nissan dealer will verify this condition and arrange for the repair or replacement of the lithium-ion battery in accordance with the terms of the warranty.
That sounds crystal clear to me. If you have 8 bars or less, and you are within 5 years and 60K, and you have not had the update, you qualify. Period. The only thing the dealer is charged with doing is to "verify this condition".

Ray

planet4ever said:
mwalsh said:
I don't remember there being a time-frame for getting the update, just that you had to have the update to satisfy the requirement under the warranty.
Again with this assertion! Where is this coming from?

I actually thought it said that in the letter we received, but I just took another look and it didn't. So it's possible that is indeed an urban myth.

You guys can speculate all you want, but if/when you take a Leaf in "with 8 bars" for a (warranty) battery replacement, this is my understanding of what will happen:

1) Has the car had P3227 update?
2) If not, apply update, check bars (which may reset/change) and return car to owner until/unless it presents 8 bars
3) If it HAS had the update, verify capacity < 70% (with CONSULT--nothing to do with bars) and begin battery replacement process

That's why I "bit the bullet" and got the P3227 update ASAP so I'm not "duped" into thinking I've hit the warranty marker (which I believe will happen eventually) when I haven't.

planet4ever said:
mwalsh said:
Again with this assertion! Where is this coming from? Can anyone point to anything that Nissan has said to back it up? Here is what Brian Brockman quoted when he announced the new warranty:
If your vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge is already displaying eight (8) or fewer bars of capacity prior to the above referenced software update (and within the first 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first), your Nissan dealer will verify this condition and arrange for the repair or replacement of the lithium-ion battery in accordance with the terms of the warranty.
That sounds crystal clear to me. If you have 8 bars or less, and you are within 5 years and 60K, and you have not had the update, you qualify. Period. The only thing the dealer is charged with doing is to "verify this condition".

Ray

pretty sure "verification of the condition" requires the update

I don't expect to lose 4 bars before 60k, currently -1bar, 40k miles, adding 2k/month. So may be a more gentle regen is not that bad in my case if it helps to prolong useful battery life. Still I wish Nissan didn't try to cover it up.

To verify the condition, they read the actual battery capacity with their Consult III+... Just simply having lost 4 bars does not in itself necessarily qualify. This from the discussions in Phoenix... Unclear is whether or not the P3227 update has any affect on the Consult reading.

Everything considered, if I had it to do over again, I'd not get the update due to the regen issue.

planet4ever said:
"your Nissan dealer will verify this condition"

For me After the update I have less GOM Miles at the end of a Full Charge to 100% cycle. I used to top out about 98 miles when Full.. Now after the Reflash I top out as Full at about 59 or 60 miles.. Full Bars for all situations.. And Regen is almost non exsistant. I called my Old Dealer and they acted like no one else was having this issue.. Has anyone else reported it to Nissian.. I have now Moved to a new State and need to figure out how to get Nissan to tow My Leaf the 3 hours to the Nearest Nissian Dealer..

I sure do not like the Reflash.

Yes, a number have reported the P3227 regen issue to Nissan and they are supposedly looking in to it... I personally have been in contact with a couple of folks at Nissan about this, starting a couple of months ago, and have provided them before and after data...

thew said:
Has anyone else reported it to Nissian...

A view of my recent P3227 WTF moment:

DSC_0049.jpg

DaveinOlyWA said:
nice! i have a hard time lighting up the last regen circle at 50% SOC and you have 3 of them lit up on a full charge! :roll:

It is a rare phenomenon, I maybe saw it couple of times since P3227 was applied two months back. Also it felt like even though bubbles were lit the actual regen was weak, so it appears to be just a display issue. Pre-P3227 regen made much more sense, now it is just random, I cannot predict the strength of regen when I just want to slow down by coasting, it is typically weaker than I anticipate, so gotta use the brakes.

Yeah, I would not expect to normally see that much regen available with a 100% charge...

Valdemar said:
It is a rare phenomenon, I maybe saw it couple of times since P3227 was applied two months back. Also it felt like even though bubbles were lit the actual regen was weak, so it appears to be just a display issue.

What am I missing in that picture Valdemar posted? What does this have to do with P3227, unless he's gloating that he doesn't have it? 11 capacity bars at 40K; 3 regen circles at 100%. The only bad news looks like 6 temp bars in November. Maybe after a QC? Unless he's complaining about the GOM - and all he'd get from me is a snort if that's it.

Ray

I never had 3 regen bubbles available @ high SOC prior to the update. IIRC only 1 or 2 would lit up at 11 SOC bars, never 3 at 12. No QC, just SoCal.

planet4ever said:
What am I missing in that picture Valdemar posted? What does this have to do with P3227, unless he's gloating that he doesn't have it? 11 capacity bars at 40K; 3 regen circles at 100%. The only bad news looks like 6 temp bars in November. Maybe after a QC? Unless he's complaining about the GOM - and all he'd get from me is a snort if that's it.

Ray

well keep in mind part of the update was to make the gauges more accurate and this is a shining example of "not"

Back