help with a new to me decision

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrp10000

Two months ago, I bought a new to me 2012 Chevy Volt, installed a 240 outlet for charging, and now I'm eagerly awaiting my wife's purchase of a Tesla 3 (we've made a deposit...not early, but we're probably somewhere in the middle of those who signed on).

Anyway, I really like driving my Volt in EV mode, and am considering a trade to a 2015 Leaf. My dilemma: I'm currently driving 90 miles round trip 4 days per week, but would have access to a quick charger at a dealership nearby to the location I am driving. I anticipate between 2 and 6 more months of this type of driving.

After that, my driving habits would be around 40 miles per day round trip. I live near Charlotte, so winter temps shouldn't be too much of an issue on range.

My new car self thinks I can make it work, but my practical side says wait. I wanted your thoughts. Given current prices, I really am tempted to go all in, and the Leaf would allow me to do just that.

I wanted the opinion of the experts here.

thanks much for any and all opinions...pro and con.

Temperature in your area matters, so suggest you update your profile with location. What is your driving style? What is the trip like? Freeway, city? 85 mph? Can you charge at least 110 Volt at work?

DanCar said:
Temperature in your area matters, so suggest you update your profile with location. What is your driving style? What is the trip like? Freeway, city? 85 mph? Can you charge at least 110 Volt at work?

Cannot charge at work. Trip to work site is 16.3 miles, and the 90 mile round trip (closer to 80, but I believe in being careful) is estimated due to family situation. My driving style is 5 mph or so over the speed limit. Work commute is mostly posted 55 mph speed limit, with additional mileage after 16.3 miles a mix of 55 mph speed limit of 45 mph and 55 mph, and some city driving. I drive in the Piedmont of NC. Little to no interstate driving for my purposes.

My main concerns are driving in the sometimes extreme temps North Carolina "can" have vs. normal temps for the state, compared to my normal driving habits.

Of course, my normal driving habits are given priority since I have access to a hybrid vehicle when needed...

I wouldn't do it with a '15 Leaf. 90 miles/day on a brand new 24 kWh Leaf w/any highway driving is already pushing it, as its EPA range rating is only 84 miles at 100% charge. (See also http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=464239#p464239.)

You would need to at least charge at 120 volts all day at work/destinations or depend on charging along the way (check Plugshare). Having to stop at that dealer every day will get old and the DC FC could be blocked, in use or broken.

And, next 2 to 6 months = colder weather and winter driving (e.g. rain on the road, needing to run the heater or defrost, colder temps temporarily reducing battery capacity, etc.) Without charging along the way, you will NOT make it w/o hypermiling and driving very slow on the highway.

If you're going to use L2 somewhere, hope it's a 30+ amp EVSE and that you have something to do while waiting say 30 minutes to an hour...

You're going to want a 30 kWh Leaf instead ('16+ Leaf SV or SL or an '16 "S-30" (http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1106593_nissan-leaf-s-quietly-gets-30-kwh-battery-upgrade-higher-price) or '17+ Leaf) which is EPA rated at 107 miles.

cwerdna said:
I wouldn't do it with a '15 Leaf. 90 miles/day on a brand new 24 kWh Leaf w/any highway driving is already pushing it, as its EPA range rating is only 84 miles at 100% charge. (See also http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=464239#p464239.)

You would need to at least charge at 120 volts all day at work/destinations or depend on charging along the way (check Plugshare). Having to stop at that dealer every day will get old and the DC FC could be blocked, in use or broken.

And, next 2 to 6 months = colder weather and winter driving (e.g. rain on the road, needing to run the heater or defrost, colder temps temporarily reducing battery capacity, etc.) Without charging along the way, you will NOT make it w/o hypermiling and driving very slow on the highway.

If you're going to use L2 somewhere, hope it's a 30+ amp EVSE and that you have something to do while waiting say 30 minutes to an hour...

You're going to want a 30 kWh Leaf instead ('16+ Leaf SV or SL or an '16 "S-30" (http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1106593_nissan-leaf-s-quietly-gets-30-kwh-battery-upgrade-higher-price) or '17+ Leaf) which is EPA rated at 107 miles.

thanks! food for thought! i bought my volt with "rose colored glasses" and am happy ( for the most part lol), but want to get this next purchase right.

I would wait until after the 90 mi drive is over. You're already in for the Volt. If you wait, the value of the Leaf will decline faster than the Volt and you won't have to worry about cold winter driving or spending an extra 10-20 minutes charging. Then, in the spring or summer, just as the 200 mile EVs start arriving, the used Leafs will be even cheaper.

Reddy said:
I would wait until after the 90 mi drive is over. You're already in for the Volt. If you wait, the value of the Leaf will decline faster than the Volt and you won't have to worry about cold winter driving or spending an extra 10-20 minutes charging. Then, in the spring or summer, just as the 200 mile EVs start arriving, the used Leafs will be even cheaper.
Sounds like good advice.

Ditto on Reddy's advice. Wait until your 90 mile commute isn't an issue. Then the Leaf will be perfectly good and even cheaper due to the upcoming competition.

Reddy said:

That sounds like a plan. Thanks for the words of wisdom. In the mean time I can window shop and continue following things here on the forum.

Sounds like you already got some great advice, but I'd just like to add something in case you start second guessing the advice you already got.

If your drive is mostly or all highway miles, you will not get the specified range. That's only accurate if you're driving around 45-50mph for a sustained period, maybe slower. Speeds of 60 and above will drain the electrons right out of those batteries. I've only had my 2015 Leaf for about a month so others on here can give you a better estimate on what your real range will be at highway speeds.

All that aside for a moment, I'd stick with the Volt if it (the batteries) will handle the furture shorter range of your daily drive. You've already bought it. The most economical thing would be to use it as long as you can. You never know when you might need both of your vehicles to be extended range capable.

The main reason I bought a Leaf instead of a Volt was because I also have an Elantra GT for any road trips. And a Z4, and a WRX, and a Valkyrie, and a Burgmann 650, and a GPZ-1100. Well, you get the idea.

Back