Home charging: Forget L2, why not just go DC (at 240V) ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
I don't get all the fast charge anxiety. L1 at home seems fine to me.
How many times a day are you going to do these home quick charges?

Although next year I think I will spring for an L2 at home.

For most people, rarely. Those with long commutes may need to if they are going someplace shortly after work. Reason number 56 Nissan blew it on a small charger, L3 would be pointless for most with a larger onboard charger.

EVDRIVER said:
smkettner said:

For most people, rarely. Those with long commutes may need to if they are going someplace shortly after work. Reason number 56 Nissan blew it on a small charger, L3 would be pointless for most with a larger onboard charger.
Put just over 360 miles on since Friday following the Amgen tour. Charged at 50 amps in Goleta to and from Solvang (thanks Rabobank), and got a 50 amp bump in San Dimas both ways to Mount Baldy. Could not have made those trips with the 3.3kW charger in the LEAF.

KeiJidosha said:
EVDRIVER said:
smkettner said:

Put just over 360 miles on since Friday following the Amgen tour. Charged at 50 amps in Goleta to and from Solvang (thanks Rabobank), and got a 50 amp bump in San Dimas both ways to Mount Baldy. Could not have made those trips with the 3.3kW charger in the LEAF.

From what source?

KeiJidosha said:
Charged at 50 amps in Goleta to and from Solvang (thanks Rabobank), and got a 50 amp bump in San Dimas both ways to Mount Baldy. Could not have made those trips with the 3.3kW charger in the LEAF.

Yes KeiJidosha, please give us the gory details! I don't know anyone who's been able to use the QC port in SoCal.

KeiJidosha said:
EVDRIVER said:
smkettner said:

Oh I understand the QC on the road. I don't get the need for faster charging at home. But to each their own if you need it you need it.

KeiJidosha said:
...Put just over 360 miles on since Friday following the Amgen tour. Charged at 50 amps in Goleta to and from Solvang (thanks Rabobank), and got a 50 amp bump in San Dimas both ways to Mount Baldy. Could not have made those trips with the 3.3kW charger in the LEAF...

Driving in a Tesla Roadster?

I was only aware that the Goleta Rabobank had a Tesla conductive 240V 70A unit generated entirely from solar. I have not heard any news of them adding capability to QC a LEAF. I will swing by there in the morning and check it out. Coulomb in concert with our local agencies are trying to install about 50 chargers in the SB/south coast area over the next year but it is still uncertain if any will be a L3.

The Goleta Rabobank has converted their Tesla charger to a L2 J1772 16.8KW EVSE . It works fine but you only get 3.3KW with a LEAF. There is no L3 at this site. This is a free location.
Latitude[34.44188]. Longitude[-119.82933]

mgoleta said:
The Goleta Rabobank has converted their Tesla charger to a L2 J1772 16.8KW EVSE . It works fine but you only get 3.3KW with a LEAF. There is no L3 at this site. This is a free location.
Yes. True. Correct. Yes. Precisely.
ACP tzero PEU is capable of 18kW charge rate, but my adapter is only good for 12kW.

KeiJidosha said:
mgoleta said:
Yes. True. Correct. Yes. Precisely.
ACP tzero PEU is capable of 18kW charge rate, but my adapter is only good for 12kW.

Adapter? What adapter? Is the J1772 port at Goleta Rabobank DC unlike the LEAF's J1772 which is AC?

I'm confused.

Luft said:
KeiJidosha said:
Adapter? What adapter? Is the J1772 port at Goleta Rabobank DC unlike the LEAF's J1772 which is AC?

I'm confused.

No, not DC. AC but with thicker than typical wiring and a bigger circuit breaker.

It sounds like KeiJidosha was driving an AC Propulsion TZero car, not a Leaf.
The charger in the car could charge at nearly the full rate, but his J1772 (to Avcon?) adapter cable isn't rated that high so he charged at 12kW.

All of this is probably irrelevant to Leaf owners, others than to know we would only get a fraction of the potential charge speed out of the EVSE there since the Leaf has such a wimpy on-board charger.

Back