How can we Encourage ICE drivers to adopt EVs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after several weeks. i can say that since January 18th when i got my Leaf, i have just under 5,000 miles on it with a cost of $144 of electricity.

the 2010 Prius which has averaged just over 48 mpg during this time the mileage is nearly identical (got gas jan 12 and 25th so extrapolating mileage from there) at 4870 miles i have put in $369 for gas and had one oil change (good for 10,000 miles) for $74.

other than that. i live in WA State. we have trees. a lot of them which essentially destroys any air filters we may have. for those of you in other drier areas like AZ, what you can do 1-2 times a year, we must essentially do at the very least each fall. if you have family members with respiratory issues, its recommended that you start with fresh filters in June which is pretty much halfway between the two major pollen seasons here (trees verses weeds/grasses)

well that means twice the cost for the Prius (engine and cabin filters) . now, i did the "change at dealer" mistake once but after that, got a good deal online from some place in Chicago that sells filters at slightly less than half price. filters are one of the few things that are still easy to do on the newer Prius.

which brings me to address all you "$25 oil change" guys; WA State in its efforts to be green, applies a disposal fee to all oil sold in the state. if i were to buy oil by the case at Costco with a discount, i still could not change my oil for $25. i am using synthetic to increase my change interval to 10,000 miles and that alone is $6+ per quart ON SALE. the brand recommended for my Prius is more like $8 a quart.

add to that; to change the oil, the pans that improve air flow to reduce the Cd must be removed. which really makes it more than an easy do it yourself job. so i pay the $75 for oil changes and do it gladly.

JasonT said:
Some will be fine with the 120V EVSE, while most are going to want the 240V (myself included, although depending on timing I may be living with the 120V for a little while)

EVSE costs are just ridiculous .. Leaf comes with 120V unit that can be upgraded for almost nothing to do 240V duties, and I bet if you dont have a dryer socket in your garage installation of one wont be expensive.

Lanzer said:
Much like how BMW made their mark in the industry by winning races, I think EV just need to begin winning car races and show the world that when it comes to speed and performance, EV can deliver more cool and more adrenalin. When it shakes the golf cart image and become rubber burning machines that can be the icon of the new cool, then EV will become an object of desire. When EV reaches such a status, then anything logical won't be necessary to sell the new car.

Of course, things like that aren't really in our power to help promote. Continuing to push for the practicality of owning an EV is probably the best way to go. :)

This is a great video.

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1686

Watch as John Wayland's electric car, the White Zombie leaves high powered gas cars in the dust as Portland makes a home for the National Electric Drag Racing Association. John claims that his car is the world's fastest accelerating street legal electric car. See this 1972 Datsun time and time again take advantage of the electric motor's full torque in the first instant and continue to break world records

dday said:
This is a great video.

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1686
dday - thanks for that link. When I first watched that video, it blew me away. You can now go to YouTube and type in White Zombie into the search box. There are a ton more. Here is a 6 minute compilation that I hadn't seen before. The car now runs 10 second quarters at almost 124 mph! There are a bunch of short clips too.

Regarding the cost of a 240V evse - Uncle Sam will still credit up to 1/3 the cost (evse plus installation) up to $1,000 to install an evse. This is for installations placed in service in 2011.

For those saying that the cost of electricity will likely rise too, all we can do is look to the past. From 2000 to 2010 electricity nationwide in the US went from an average of $.08 to $.11. During the same time frame, regular gasoline average price went from $1.50 to $3.00. And as we know, it is more now (in some places, significantly more). So - electricity price increase of 37.5% in ten years, gasoline price increase of 100% in ten years. What will the next decade bring? We'll know in nine more years.

LEAFguy said:
dday said:
For those saying that the cost of electricity will likely rise too, all we can do is look to the past. From 2000 to 2010 electricity nationwide in the US went from an average of $.08 to $.11. During the same time frame, regular gasoline average price went from $1.50 to $3.00. And as we know, it is more now (in some places, significantly more). So - electricity price increase of 37.5% in ten years, gasoline price increase of 100% in ten years. What will the next decade bring? We'll know in nine more years.

Hopefully more efficient batteries that hold a better charge, have a significantly increased range, take less time to charge, and can be produced at an affordable price for automakers (and maybe even consumers).

Back