I think I'm a "sea-level-rise" skeptic!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stoaty said:
What level of risk would you accept that global warming is happening before insisting on strong measures to prevent it?
Me? None at all, no risk is too small in this instance because I am already prepared to act. The way to deal with the proposed threat is something I think is already logical to do, whether or not there is a risk from CO2 emissions. You could argue that eating chocolate keeps the flesh-eating invisible flying elephants away for all I care, but just because I tell you I want to eat chocolate doesn't mean I believe you. I'm not going to decline eating chocolate just to show I don't believe you, just like I would never lobby against nuclear power just because it's a solution to a climate issue I do not think is well demonstrated.

What I really find galling about the whole farcical political dimension to this is that my taxes are being put up by governments arguing that it is in environmental interests to do so, whilst they are still promoting fossil fuel extraction, fracking and the like, while *I* [and other people likewise, of course] am demanding renewable and nuclear power today and they're ignoring me.

How can a gov have the chutzpah to carry on promoting fossil fuel extraction for energy and to charge me extra for that energy on the basis of environmental concerns, whilst they are also arguing to use less fossil fuels but are failing to promote 100% alternative replacement?

donald said:
What I really find galling about the whole farcical political dimension to this is that my taxes are being put up by governments arguing that it is in environmental interests to do so, whilst they are still promoting fossil fuel extraction, fracking and the like, while *I* [and other people likewise, of course] am demanding renewable and nuclear power today and they're ignoring me.
I am with you 100% on that. Obama's "all of the above" energy strategy is bullshit. While there are small signs of movement, most is business as usual. Can you believe that fracking is exempted from the clean water provisions and companies don't even have to disclose what they are injecting into the earth that may be ending up in our water supply?

There are two groups I find interesting to observe:

- Climate change alarmists who seemingly take no action to actually reduce carbon emissions
- Climate change deniers (or those having some intermediate viewpoint of uncertainty of dire consequences) who are adopting new carbon-reducing technologies for mostly self-serving reasons

IMO the growth of the latter group is the best opportunity, and perhaps the best hope, for reducing carbon emissions... whether it's a problem or not.

donald said:
Zythryn said:
No Donald, it isn't the first you have heard that suggestion, as that suggestion wasn't spoken.
What he said was "the science around the greenhouse affect goes back to 1824". Not that AGW has been observed since 1824.
You are discussing semantics. The implication is disingenuous if that is not what was indicated, else what relevance is the earlier data set if it was not affected in that way?
Donald - it would be so very easy to simply click on the links we've already provided you and I guarantee that things would start to click into place for you. But instead of doing your part, you seem to want to deep deflecting, blaming, misdirecting, and denying. For whatever reason you chose to judge my comment as superfluous without doing your homework. That just makes you look like a shill with an agenda, not a seeker of knowledge. I submit the following just in case I'm mistaken and you actually are interested in understanding.

The science around the greenhouse effect does go back to 1824. That's when smart people that took the time to observe the physical world and then test their ideas identified greenhouse gases and showed how they affect different types of energy transfer. They first had to decide how a greenhouse gas would behave in the real world, then decide how they would test that behavior to prove or disprove their hypothesis. If they found the gases and could test them, they then had to determine how changes in the amount of those gases in the atmosphere would affect the biosphere.

French mathematician and physicist Joseph Fourier lived from 1768 to 1830. One of his achievements was to show that the Earth should be colder than it is, and then to postulate that some part of the atmosphere must be acting as a sort of insulator. He's credited with identifying the greenhouse effect. He also did work on how energy transfers in matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Fourier
http://www.aip.org/history/climate/simple.htm#L_M085
http://www.manhattanrarebooks-science.com/fourier.htm
http://www.skepticalscience.com/empirical-evidence-for-co2-enhanced-greenhouse-effect.htm

The next gent that brought a critical piece of the puzzle to the table was John Tyndall. He's a British physicist that lived from 1820 to 1893. He did work on energy transfer and physical properties of gases, building on at least Fourier's theoretical work. This is the gent that built test devices to actually test containers of gases to see how they affected heat and various frequencies of light - including infrared (heat). His devices clearly demonstrated that some gases allowed higher frequencies to pass through while blocking the transfer of other frequencies. He then measured the actual amount of heat different gases would absorb. The USAF did more in-depth work in this realm when they developed heat-seeking missiles in the 1950s - they had to allow for increasing levels of atmospheric greenhouse gases in their designs so the missiles would continue to work throughout their design life. (I'm an AF vet and attended an electronic combat course that examined ways to defeat various systems...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tyndall
Here's a demonstration of one of Tyndall's experiments:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeYfl45X1wo[/youtube]
Here's a look at AF research:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoR4ezwKh5E[/youtube]

Now we get to the last part - quantifying the effect of a greenhouse gas concentration change on the temperature. Here's where Swedish physicist/chemist Svante Arrhenius picked up the baton from Fourier and Tyndall. He lived from 1859-1927.
if the quantity of carbonic acid [CO2] increases in geometric progression, the augmentation of the temperature will increase nearly in arithmetic progression.
Based on information from his colleague Arvid Högbom (sv), Arrhenius was the first person to predict that emissions of carbon dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels and other combustion processes were large enough to cause global warming. In his calculation Arrhenius included the feedback from changes in water vapor as well as latitudinal effects, but he omitted clouds, convection of heat upward in the atmosphere, and other essential factors.
He did this in 1896.

arrhenius.jpg

Note the words: "A great deal has been written on the influence of the absorbption of the atmosphere upon the climate." A great deal has been written - in 1896.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svante_Arrhenius
http://rsclive3.rsc.org/images/Arrhenius1896_tcm18-173546.pdf

This is basic level material - it's covered in university freshman physics, chemistry, and biology classes. It's so well known and so well proven that it's generally not even mentioned in climate research. These physical properties and behaviors are as certain as gravity - which isn't discussed any longer when designing aircraft.

This is some of the background the educated and informed folks on this forum have been working with, though some haven't mentioned. I bring it to your attention because it appears that you could benefit from this quick review of history as much as I did when I first wanted to understand. I hope you'll follow some of the links and become familiar with these three researchers - they were fascinating men with amazing lives. Enjoy the reading.

LTLFTcomposite said:
There are two groups I find interesting to observe:

- Climate change alarmists who seemingly take no action to actually reduce carbon emissions
- Climate change deniers (or those having some intermediate viewpoint of uncertainty of dire consequences) who are adopting new carbon-reducing technologies for mostly self-serving reasons

IMO the growth of the latter group is the best opportunity, and perhaps the best hope, for reducing carbon emissions... whether it's a problem or not.
Hmmm... On the way into the cinema today, LTLFT, please accept these earplugs. In the event of a fire, we will raise the alarm, open the doors, and recommend that everyone leave the room as quickly as possible. You are absolutely free to ignore these alarms - keep the earplugs firmly in place and remain in your seat. We further recommend that should the alarm sound, you cover your eyes as well so you cannot see what's happening. If you choose to do that, please get on the floor under your seat as that's where you'll likely find the coolest and safest air to breath and have some protection from falling debris. Do not obstruct the evacuation, however, as any deaths or injuries would be your fault and you would be held responsible for your obstruction.

There Amigo - we've covered the proper used of 'alarmism', defined the problem and potential outcome, offered mitigation and adaptation tips, and reminded you that it's not neighborly to use your freedoms to cause harm to another.

The time to pull the planetary fire alarm was in the 1950s - and that alarm was pulled. Unfortunately politicians and civil society since has preferred earplugs. Not a recommended way to ensure the survival of either us or the critters on the planet we use as food...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-AXBbuDxRY[/youtube]

(Hmmm...how do you identify the folks from each group, by the way? Hopefully not with some scientific method? ;) )

^ I never said the alarmism (?) was unwarranted.

In your metaphor there are no exits, so those who are not wearing earplugs will be incinerated along with those who do. The part I find odd is that many of those who pull the alarm go right back to their seats to watch the movie.

LTLFTcomposite said:
In your metaphor there are no exits, so those who are not wearing earplugs will be incinerated along with those who do. The part I find odd is that many of those who pull the alarm go right back to their seats to watch the movie.
You are assuming that individual voluntary action is what will fix the problem. If most people in the theater (which seats thousands) are smoking, whether you smoke or not will have little influence on the risk of fire or the air quality. However, if you tirelessly work to pass laws against smoking in the theater (with enforcement/penalties), you will do much more to prevent fire deaths/smoke inhalation than quitting yourself. Not only that, you will then be affected by the laws yourself, although in the case of global warming it is likely that those with enough money will be able to bribe the theater ushers so they can still continue smoking. That's why those of us who are "alarmed" want to have laws passed (cap and trade, carbon tax, fee and dividend, etc.) that will steer the herd in the right direction.

I should probably recognize when I've been out-metaphored and let it go, but the problem as I see it is that it's a world of addicted smokers and cigarettes are cheap, so getting those laws passed is tougher than tough. Prohibiting smoking in theaters only got passed because nonsmokers grew to 51% and they were annoyed by the other 49%.

Legislation is great if you can get it, but as someone pointed out further back, even President Obama hasn't done much.

edit: that was you :)

LTLFTcomposite said:
^ I never said the alarmism (?) was unwarranted.
Nope. And I didn't intend my story to be wrapped in a rock. ;)

LTLFTcomposite said:
Welllllll....Maybe... Maybe not...

marsoneimage2forarticle.jpg

http://www.mars-one.com/
With rockets supplied by SpaceX - some are ready to:

occupy_mars_1.png

^ Well, there goes the neighborhood. The Martian landscape was beautiful until these guys showed up and started mining operations and tracking up the place with ATVs. And those houses? Where is Frank Lloyd Wright when you need him?

LTLFTcomposite said:
^ Well, there goes the neighborhood. The Martian landscape was beautiful until these guys showed up and started mining operations and tracking up the place with ATVs. And those houses? Where is Frank Lloyd Wright when you need him?
Rolling in his grave, no doubt. :lol: Sad part is there's a place that could use a bit of enhanced greenhouse effect. Heaven knows we're already qualified to do that bit of terraforming... :(

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71l9lzLsBRc[/youtube]

There are many examples of the above, where models are more conservative than observations and tend to “under-predict.” In addition, scientists also tend to throw away the more extreme conclusions (or most “dramatic,” as you’ll see below), even when those extreme conclusions are also the most likely...

Why is that? History of Science professor Naomi Oreskes has studied that phenomenon. In a 2012 peer-reviewed paper, “Climate change prediction: Erring on the side of least drama?” (pdf), she and her colleagues put to the test the claim of climate deniers that “climate scientists are alarmists.” When they tested that conclusion by looking at actual data — climate projections and how they compare to climate outcomes — they discovered something very interesting. In fact, the opposite is true. Climate scientists tend to underplay their results.
http://americablog.com/2014/05/erri...scientists-inherently-conservative-video.html

Back