ICED - Images of Offending Vehicles Board of Shame

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feng said:
drees said:
ICEd at San Juan Capistrano today. Luckily I had just enough charge to make it home by hypermiling. Looking at the plugshare comments at least one other driver was not so fortunate.
Looks like the driver had to use the L2 at the Nissan dealer nearby as a backup. Hopefully they didn't have to wait hours to get to the next QC 34 miles away.
Situations like this are where having 30A L2 capability can really make a big difference. The other option would be to backtrack 6-7 miles to the eVgo QC/L2 (which JeremyW and I successfully used both the QC and L2). But that would add 20-30 minutes of driving, but leave you with enough charge to make it to San Diego County at the next eVgo station in Carlsbad. If your goal is to get to the eVgo station in Carlsbad (which it appears that the other ICEd driver went) and you have 30A L2, then charging for an hour at the dealer was probably the best option. Otherwise with only 16A L2, back-tracking would probably save you 90 minutes (assuming the QC there works).

Feng said:
Playing the devil's advocate: Looking at the photos on Plugshare, I can't see any signage saying those spots are for EV charging only.
Only the blue curb. Needs more paint/signage/cones or something.

Blue normally signifies handicap parking, but these are not handicap spots and with only the blue curb I suspect that anyone parking at night could easily overlook them, especially if the lot is otherwise full.

LeftieBiker said:
It's a shame the J-1772 extenders are so expensive. Carrying one of those would solve 90% of the ICEing problems.
Well in the most recent case I posted above, you'd need a CHAdeMO extender. Even more expensive. Better to just use a longer cord, but that can't be cheaper, either, and only further invites copper thieves.

Here's an interesting view of ICEing.

At the Glenwood Springs, Colorado Tesla Supercharger. This station has six slots and is located between a Residence Inn (where we stayed for two nights last week) and a Courtyard. Late at night the parking lots filled up and a few people began parking in these slots, but except for this car the slots were all clear early each of the next mornings. Since the ICErs always backed into the parking spots (emulating the orientation in which a Tesla would charge) I suspect, but can't confirm, that the hotel desk clerks suggested that they do this. I noted that both nights 2 charging slots remained unoccupied. That would probably be a workable strategy as although we saw 6 or 7 Teslas use these chargers while we were there only 1 was charged at night.

As a LEAFer I really envy these Tesla superstations.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 139
I stayed at that Courtyard during ski season last year and was fascinated by those chargers. All the way out there just so people can do a non-stop drive cross-country. That's what really got me thinking about an electric car. Maybe three years from now my Tesla will be parked there. Can you put ski racks on those Teslas?

LeftieBiker said:
It's a shame the J-1772 extenders are so expensive. Carrying one of those would solve 90% of the ICEing problems.

Or, whatever tool these firefighters carry... :lol:

fire_hose_through_car.jpg

Berlino said:
mwalsh said:
He thought the signs said "Electricians' vehicles only". :D

LOL

TomT said:
Maybe he was working on the EVSE feeds...

Possible, though the stations have been there for 3-4 months with no problems that I'm aware of. Here is another ICEing at the same site.

Z95vP7H.jpg

I am a motorcycle rider and that is just offensive. In that case I would say move it out of the way, without damaging it though.

MikeinDenver said:
... I am a motorcycle rider and that is just offensive.
That person parks as improperly as the couple I have seen illegally parked in hashed no parking area next to handicapped parking spaces.
I started to leave a sign:

"Safely riding a motorcycle for a long time requires intelligence, defensive driving, and skill.
Your inability to park properly is a very bad indicator on your longevity."

When I asked her why she parked in a space that was marked for EV's only, she said she thought it was ok since no EV was parked there.

[MOD NOTE: Merge into main ICED thread]

Attachments

• IMG_0391.jpg
    IMG_0391.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 43
Back