ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its today! cmon down

http://www.ci.lacey.wa.us/city-government/city-departments/parks-and-recreation/special-park-events/lacey-alternative-energy-fair" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reddy said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
5)Eastern WA. I add this at the risk of being called out since this kinda goes against the premise of the post of the LEAFs use as a Local/Regional/interstate vehicle (since most consider E WA to be another planet much less another state!)
Thanks, as always we appreciate your understanding. :lol: Feel free to PM me before traveling over here if you need any advice.

I probably shouldn't mention it, but we do have some very fine wineries (I think one was rated #1 by Wine Spectator at some point in the past), so it could be considered a tourist destination for well-healed wetsiders. Please come on over and drop some tourist dollars. Oh, and bring a couple of DCQC's and we'll let you use them. ;)

GREAT IDEA!! and we have a link for that

http://electomotionwinerytour-es2005.eventbrite.com/?rank=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Join us for an adventure to Lake Chelan, touristy year-round playground in central Washington. Hiking, biking, skiing, water sports make it a paradise for visitors, as well as 22 wineries in the area, most of them around the 50 mile long, glacier-carved lake. Yes, this is a fund raising event for the purchase and installation of high amperage L2 (EVSE >70A) charging stations in north central Washington. Pam Garrison will be our Tour Master.

and yes, charging opps will be provided!

gigglehertz said:
DaveinOlyWa:

That article you linked to was inaccurate. Gov Inslee is committed to expanding the electric highway, but the governor's transportation package hasn't passed yet. I received a nice email from the WCGH folks and they say if it is not passed in a special session later this month (guess which party is against it?) then they plan on going to the federal government for a possible grant.

ya another article that jumps the gun a bit. We all know Inslee is all for the project and convincing the legislature is not guaranteed in any way but lately the track record for all things EV has been good.

Just got my Leaf this last weekend from Bellingham. I'm still getting used to thinks, but I'm still pretty terrified about making the trips you guys are trying. I'm pretty worried about making any journey that I can't do the roundtrip in a single charge - I've seen far too many notices about broken chargers online, seen chargers ICE'd in the weeks before leasing while I was still scouting, and see how the too-few chargers around me are always packed. I'd hate to get somewhere and find myself locked out for various reasons and no way to get home.

GasFreeinSkagit said:
Just got my Leaf this last weekend from Bellingham. I'm still getting used to thinks, but I'm still pretty terrified about making the trips you guys are trying. I'm pretty worried about making any journey that I can't do the roundtrip in a single charge - I've seen far too many notices about broken chargers online, seen chargers ICE'd in the weeks before leasing while I was still scouting, and see how the too-few chargers around me are always packed. I'd hate to get somewhere and find myself locked out for various reasons and no way to get home.

ya, i dont blame you but you will get over it. I think we were all the same way at first but you will learn the charging network and ways to monitor whether they are up or down.

I did a 132 mile trip about a month after getting mine and relied on reports from Seattle area LEAFers as to where to charge. always have a plan B just in case and keep in mind; 27 months ago, the public charging options were a whole lot thinner!

Welcome! Second on Dave's comment. Yes, it's scary the first time (read my signature story). Do several trips around home and test out the Low Battery Warning (LBW), VLBW, and eventually "Turtle" (but make sure you're on flat, local 25-35 mph roads and less than 0.5 mile from a charger). I still remember my first LBW (I was only a mile or so from home, but it was still scary). My first VLBW was arriving back in my garage after my trip to Bellingham. :D

You'll get more comfortable as you drive more. Unfortunately, you do need to plan a bit more for those longer trips. Plus you always need Plan A, B, C, D. Also, don't hesitate to bail out when something doesn't work out. Remember, to take extra time and don't expect to make it in exactly the time you plan. You can always pull into a hotel and spend the night on L1 (it's got to be better than a tow truck).

I've only done a handful of trips out of the Tri-Cities. I'm getting better at predicting and meeting schedules, but if you plan some extra time, then it's no big deal if you're a little slower than the plan. Just this week I went to Walla Walla, 130 mi RT. I planned to charge for 3 hr at the dealership while having dinner. It work out almost exactly as planned. I added an extra 15-20 min charge for padding, went to the symphony, and returned home at 11pm just after LBW. I adjusted my driving speed as needed to get me home with just enough buffer to feel comfortable. Due to the hour, I certainly didn't want to run out of juice. I still had another 10-15 mi until turtle (at 25-35 mph).

Weather is a big factor (especially wind over here). Being a bicyclist, I'm used to it and have dealt with it for decades. Until we have more infrastructure over here, I won't plan long trips during the winter months. I'm looking forward to some summer treking. Since we're in the midst of the spring hydro run off, drive all you want. Pretty much 100% hydro power right now and if we don't use it we'll just spill it.

springbank said:
Quite frankly, I don't see how Dave does the 100+ trips at all. There seems to me to be too many hills. Guess I'm just a wuss :oops:

the last time I did 100+ miles was just a few days ago and the weather was near perfect, I did all but a little of the driving at speeds of 25-40 mph and since Olympia is at the very Southern tip of Puget Sound that generally means most travel from east/west is relatively flat. travel north/south and you will be doing one hill after another!

the other thing about my "100 mile" days is they do include 1-4 QC stops!

GasFreeinSkagit said:
I know what you mean. The first time I took a trip that was too far not to charge before returning home was terrifying! I planned the trip in order to force me to go beyond my comfort zone. I remember that I reached the point where there was no turning back and it started to rain. The windows started to fog up but I didn't ewant to run the defroster because I knew I wouldn't make it. I was doing a good job of ignoring my Guess-O-Meter until the Nav lady told me that I might not have enough power to reach my destination. After that I couldn't take my eyes off of it! Then her message changed to "You don't have enough power to reach your destination!" I was in the middle of nowhere. It was a very uncomfortable feeling but I had crunched the numbers using Tony's range chart and I knew I should make it. I slowed my speed and reached my destination a few miles into the LBW. The NAV lady lies.

Luft said:
GasFreeinSkagit said:
I know what you mean. The first time I took a trip that was too far not to charge before returning home was terrifying! I planned the trip in order to force me to go beyond my comfort zone. I remember that I reached the point where there was no turning back and it started to rain. The windows started to fog up but I didn't ewant to run the defroster because I knew I wouldn't make it. I was doing a good job of ignoring my Guess-O-Meter until the Nav lady told me that I might not have enough power to reach my destination. After that I couldn't take my eyes off of it! Then her message changed to "You don't have enough power to reach your destination!" I was in the middle of nowhere. It was a very uncomfortable feeling but I had crunched the numbers using Tony's range chart and I knew I should make it. I slowed my speed and reached my destination a few miles into the LBW. The NAV lady lies.

:lol: no, no... the NAV lady was misinformed because she listened to the GOM! :shock:

I did get my first LBW today while puttering around after a round trip up to Bellingham and back. I'd gotten home with 24 miles on the meter, and was about to charge it when I decided to take it out for my errands. Once it hit around 18 I got the notice, though I was never farther than 3 miles from home and was within a mile of the QC around these parts. Not as scary as I thought, but I was still pretty much in my element. I'm more happy with my test up to Bellingham and back - I can do that with some room to spare on 80%, as long as I don't take the freeway the entire way.

Thankfully, that's about the extent of my driving. The focus shift is taking some getting used to, but slowing down and thinking about my routes is giving me a lot more time to appreciate the wonderful scenery once again.

GasFreeinSkagit said:
I did get my first LBW today while puttering around after a round trip up to Bellingham and back. I'd gotten home with 24 miles on the meter, and was about to charge it when I decided to take it out for my errands. Once it hit around 18 I got the notice, though I was never farther than 3 miles from home and was within a mile of the QC around these parts. Not as scary as I thought, but I was still pretty much in my element. I'm more happy with my test up to Bellingham and back - I can do that with some room to spare on 80%, as long as I don't take the freeway the entire way.

Thankfully, that's about the extent of my driving. The focus shift is taking some getting used to, but slowing down and thinking about my routes is giving me a lot more time to appreciate the wonderful scenery once again.

I agree. Slowing down is really great!!

It's interesting to see people racing to "go nowhere," while remembering that I too was always driving 10 to 15 miles over the posted limit until I bought the Leaf.

And yes, the scenery is beautiful.

New here to Leaf ownership with a few questions:
2013 Leaf SV - 2 year lease - Live in Woodinville

Has anyone local that is leasing done the EVSE upgrade?
I'm concerned about returning the modified cable and getting hit with a replacement charge.

Does anyone know if PSE lowers their power rates (late at night), and by how much and when?

Has anyone used the 480v charging stations? How much does it cost?
I have one very near my office and I just received my Blink card. So far, I've only used the 120v charger.

Thanks to all.

stevegarris said:

Does anyone know if PSE lowers their power rates (late at night), and by how much and when?
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your LEAF. I can only address one of your questions.

When I first acquired the LEAF, I queried PSE about time of use rates. Nope. Did receive a long reply, outlining the fact that years ago they tried such a scheme, but so little use was made of it, they curtailed it. With so many more EVs on the road now, perhaps we should start bugging them to resume such. I certainly will, since I am now charging two vehicles and the Tesla has a much larger appetite than the LEAF.

Hi Steve! Welcome!

I have the EVSE upgrade and I love it. So far, no one has run into that problem of turning in the EVSE at the end of the lease because most leases are less than 2 years old. But EVSEUpgrade used to offer that if you did run into trouble, and could not find an owner to swap with, that they would swap it out to a stock unit for you. I bet they still offer that.

PSE does not change their rates at any time of day or for EV charging. Sorry.

I’ve used the QC (Quick Charger or 480v) quite a few times. So far, both Ecotality and Aerovironment are still in the “demo” stage and not only are they not charging for charging, but they also have not said what the fees will be in the future. Enjoy it while its free! The only thing you really have to worry about is battery pack temperature. If the pack is heated to something like 120degrees for 24 hours, Nissan can void your warranty. In my opinion, as long at temp is at 6 bars or less, feel free to QC. Anything higher than that and you will want to get something to show you how hot you really are, because the bars are non linear and way to wide in the middle temps.

Check out the Seattle Leaf Facebook page too. I’ve arranged a meetup for June 1st at Ikea / 1pm. Hope to see you there! If not, PM me and we can meet up sometime. I live near Kent, but head North all the time.

One more thing, despite not having Time Of Use rates, you still want to use a charging timer overnight. Battery capacity loss seems to be most affected by heat over time and second most by high state of charge over time. So the less you keep it at a high SOC, the longer the battery will last. I have a end timer set for 1 hour before I leave in the morning.

stevegarris said:

Has anyone local that is leasing done the EVSE upgrade?
I'm concerned about returning the modified cable and getting hit with a replacement charge.

Has anyone used the 480v charging stations? How much does it cost?
I have one very near my office and I just received my Blink card. So far, I've only used the 120v charger.

Congrats on the new LEAF! I've upgraded my EVSE and am leasing. You've basically got four options: keep the car after the lease, swap/sell your upgraded EVSE with someone that has not upgraded theirs, send your EVSE back to EVSEUpgrade for them to return a non-upgraded unit, or the not recommended route of just returning the EVSEUpgrade with the car (Some have done this and not had problems).

I've used the Blink and AV DCQC chargers and as others have stated there's no charge yet.

Definitely join the Seattle Facebook group as it has a lot of local info and discussions: https://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow - thanks everyone! I read a little more about the upgrade on their site, so now I understand how I can swap it back if I get any grief when I return the lease. I think the upgrade is the way to go.

I'll have to try out the 480v charger. There are 2 at the Fred Meyers within walking distance to my office.

I'm checking out the Facebook page next - thanks!

I think that you'll find that there is really only one QC at that Fred Meyer. The Blink QC has two "ports" on it, but only one can be providing power at any given time. If the other one is in use and you plug in, your port will be "waiting" until the other one is done charging. It works, but it's not really two chargers.

stevegarris said:
Wow - thanks everyone! I read a little more about the upgrade on their site, so now I understand how I can swap it back if I get any grief when I return the lease. I think the upgrade is the way to go.

Yep, if you only need one EVSE (Some people like to always have their EVSE in the car with them) the EVSEUpgrade is perfect for home charging.

Back