July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm... I haven't put gas in a car since Labor Day when I got home with about 1/4 tank. Oh, it's still there by the way. I need to get out and drive, refill, or sell it.

Reddy

American car companies tend to discount to move cars, the Volt will sell very well if the start offering rebates... The other thing that would help both the Volt and the Leaf was if the $7500 credit was at the point of transaction, so that the cash prices were more reasonable, that would put both much closer to the out the door cost of a Prius (which is selling well).

evnow said:
- Volt (market) is not fine. It is selling less than what most of us thought it would sell (the guess on gm-volt ranged 2K and above)
- Mitsu i is the cheapest EV you can "buy"
- Ghosn's job is on the line, ofcourse. But he needs to show results in 3 to 5 years. In the next year, he needs to sell every Leaf they can make - which I have little doubt they will be able to, worldwide.
If I understand what you're saying, first you and a bunch of Leaf owners decide that GM needs to sell 2000 Volts per month and if that doesn't happen the Volt market isn't fine. Why not pick 1000 as the number, it's higher than the Leaf number, and declare 1200 a bust out month?

Where can you buy an i-Miev?

Ghosn's job is not on the line. Not remotely.

For the record this is Nissans about section in its news releases ... nearly half of it devoted to Leaf.

About Nissan
Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., Japan's second-largest automotive company, is headquartered in Yokohama, Japan, and is part of the Renault-Nissan Alliance. Operating with more than 248,000 employees globally, Nissan provided customers with more than 4.1 million vehicles in 2010, generating revenue of 8.77 trillion yen ($102.37 billion US). With a strong commitment to developing exciting and innovative products for all, Nissan delivers a comprehensive range of 64 models under the Nissan and Infiniti brands. A pioneer in zero-emission mobility, Nissan made history with the introduction of the Nissan LEAF, the first affordable, mass-market, pure-electric vehicle and winner of numerous international accolades, including the prestigious 2011 European Car of the Year award and 2011 World Car of the Year.

SanDust said:
evnow said:
- Mitsu i is the cheapest EV you can "buy"
Where can you buy an i-Miev?
Per http://www.plugincars.com/mitsubishi-i-miev/review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mitsubishi has scheduled its first U.S. deliveries for January 2012. Prospective buyers will make a $299 deposit, plus $99 for a home inspection related to installation of charging equipment. Mitsubishi will waive the home electrical inspection fee for the first 2,000 potential buyers who sign up at http://i.mitsubishicars.com.
<snip>
Availability & Timeline for Mitsubishi i -- The company begins taking orders of the i in spring 2011, with the first deliveries scheduled for January 2012. Prospective buyers will make a $299 deposit, plus $99 for a home inspection related to installation of charging equipment.Mitsubishi said the initial goal is to deliver about 2,000 units of the i, and later expand to between 20,000 and 30,000 units per year. In other words, expect a slow rollout.

scottf200 said:
Per http://www.plugincars.com/mitsubishi-i-miev/review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes - if you order today, you could get an i earlier than a leaf.

Nissan derived 42 leafs in Canada (in November) for YTD total of 111. What's interesting is that they sold more Leaf's than Armadas last month. (http://www.newswire.ca/en/organization/33080)

People love to speculate about future sales numbers but I am of the opinion that until the Leaf is available Nation-Wide (by simply walking into a dealer and not having to order) we won't know what is the true demand. However, I am worried that the demand for the Leaf will be saturated soon after production starts in Tennessee unless Nissan lowers the price. I read an article recently (can't find it) where Ghosn said he has no intention of lowering the price of the Leaf when production starts in the US. If that's the case, I think the number of people in the market for an EV over 30 grand will be limited. I hope I'm wrong.

edit- found it http://green.autoblog.com/2011/11/2...-will-want-500-000-renault-nissan-electric-c/

Some interesting tidbits include that Ghosn doesn't expect U.S. production of the Leaf (in Smyrna, TN) will lower the price at all, it'll just help Nissan move toward what it wants, "which is a sustainable model without support from the government."

I think a Leaf at the current price of 28k (assuming no state incentives) is a very good deal. I comparably equipped Versa is 20k, so at a 8k premium, you eliminate all maintenance, and of course, gas. The extra 8k will only cost you ~$150 per month depending on interest rates, and I believe a lot of people would spend $150 a month on gas+maintenance. I would much rather spend $150 a month in a car payment, than burn it.

muus said:
However, I am worried that the demand for the Leaf will be saturated soon after production starts in Tennessee unless Nissan lowers the price. I read an article recently (can't find it) where Ghosn said he has no intention of lowering the price of the Leaf when production starts in the US.

While I admit a lowered price would help sell the vehicle even better and make offerings from other EV makers seem like a joke, I sort of don't want the price lowered because that would very much hurt the resale value of my current leaf. Right now I feel like I'm ahead of the game because I got the $7,500 bonus and eventually that won't be available anymore. Which means people who buy right now have instant equity in their vehicles.

While, on the surface, this is true, the problem is that the federal rebate is a tax credit, not an actual rebate, and thus many people will not be able utilize it depending on their particular tax situation. Ironically, the better their CPA, the more likely this is to be true. For these people, leasing is the only option to take advantage of the credit. That is one of the reasons (but not the only) why I opted for the 48 month lease.

charlestonleafer said:
I think a Leaf at the current price of 28k (assuming no state incentives) is a very good deal.

charlestonleafer said:
I think a Leaf at the current price of 28k (assuming no state incentives) is a very good deal.

I think your right, especially since the "average transaction price for light vehicles in the United States rose to $30,317" http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...buyers-not-only-buying-but-theyre-paying-more

Maybe Nissan dosn't have to lower the price of the Leaf in order to sell more, but rather hold it at the current price while all other vehicles go up! :lol:

DaveL said:
I think your right, especially since the "average transaction price for light vehicles in the United States rose to $30,317"
The problem is - Americans equate value to size of the vehicle. So, they don't mind paying more for a larger clunk compared to a well designed smaller car.

They want their "small cars" to be $20k or less.

Anyway, Nissan doesn't need to lower the price to sell a couple of thousand a month. Only to sell 50K or more a year.

TomT said:
While, on the surface, this is true, the problem is that the federal rebate is a tax credit, not an actual rebate, and thus many people will not be able utilize it depending on their particular tax situation. Ironically, the better their CPA, the more likely this is to be true. For these people, leasing is the only option to take advantage of the credit. That is one of the reasons (but not the only) why I opted for the 48 month lease.

charlestonleafer said:

Newbie here. Tried to search for all reasonable permutations both here and at Google but couldn't find what happened to the propsals in the 2012 budget to make the credit into a POS rebate as reported here in early 2011. Anybody know?

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2011/02/budget-20110214.html#tp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think demand will ramp up significantly. I know a few that are very interested but do not want the first or even second year of production. Once people find out EVs are so reliable and convenient for the actual users, the price will be a non issue.

SanDust said:
If I understand what you're saying, first you and a bunch of Leaf owners decide that GM needs to sell 2000 Volts per month and if that doesn't happen the Volt market isn't fine.
No - you don't understand (or probably pretend not to understand).

We know how much GM produced. We know how much GM sold. There is a big difference there.

Infact, Days Supply for Volt is a staggering 134 (and Leaf is 21).

All along GM kept saying - the supply is limited - not the Demand. Some may continue to beleive that and ignore reality. But it is starting to look like - there is a real demand problem with Volt now. I'd like to see any other explanations.

I'll start a new thread on this.

evnow said:
scottf200 said:
Yes - if you order today, you could get an i earlier than a leaf.
That's just wrong.
evnow said:
No - you don't understand (or probably pretend not to understand).

We know how much GM produced. We know how much GM sold. There is a big difference there.

Infact, Days Supply for Volt is a staggering 134 (and Leaf is 21).

All along GM kept saying - the supply is limited - not the Demand. Some may continue to beleive that and ignore reality. But it is starting to look like - there is a real demand problem with Volt now. I'd like to see any other explanations.

I'll start a new thread on this.
It's kind of a sickening testament to GM - for ever spinning reality, regardless of whether truth is nipping at their heals. I still want the Volt (better priced, better built, and less complex) to be a screaming success - but I'm having visions of the days when Hummers were stacking up on dealer lots - only to have to rent extra space on malls so they could hide/store the inventory. A very creepy deja vu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back