LaFerrari - yes... another Hybrid.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drivesolo

First the Porsche 918. Then McLaren P1 was announced. Now Ferrari's Enzo successor has been revealed; the LaFerrari ....and it's a hybrid too.
http://www.laferrari.com/en/

laferrari.jpg

The LaFerrari's HY-KERS system:
http://www.laferrari.com/en/engine/

ct_laferrari_hy_kers_system_08_powertrain.jpg

TomT said:
The KERS system is based on the one that they use for Formula 1. It is required on all F1 cars.

Yeeeeesssss....KERS. It is becoming quite popular at the higher end of motorsports ('cept for NSACAR where a Ford Fusion is not a hybrid even though it's suppose to be representing the production model). KERS is not actually required in F1, it is however used by the whole field because it's an advantage. Last season was the first one where every car on the F1 grid was KERS equipped. I think it's been around for 4 years now since it's introduction. All F1 cars use it because of the advantage it gives over just ICE. The LaFerrari, P1, and 918 show that hybrid technology is not just about saving fuel. Fuel consumption was at the very bottom of the list as far as requirements when they conceptualized these cars. Simply put; "Hybrid...makes...car...better.". To take that one step further, I would be willing to say, "Pure EV... makes...car...best." ;)

I should have said it is required if you want to be competitive these days... There is talk of making it mandatory at some time in the future however.
Here is more info on KERS for those who care: http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/understanding_the_sport/8763.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drivesolo said:
TomT said:
The KERS system is based on the one that they use for Formula 1. It is required on all F1 cars.
KERS is not actually required in F1, it is however used by the whole field because it's an advantage.

Surprised NASCAR has not implemented hybrid to get past the restrictor plate on horsepower.
Saving fuel could win a race if refueling under the green. Hard to teach these old boys a new trick I suppose.

NASCAR is more about 1980s technology. They just recently even went away from carburetors!

smkettner said:
Surprised NASCAR has not implemented hybrid to get past the restrictor plate on horsepower.
Saving fuel could win a race if refueling under the green. Hard to teach these old boys a new trick I suppose.

Marussia did not use KERS last season. They will be using it this season though. It is a Cosworth powered system.

Drivesolo said:
TomT said:

Yeeeeesssss....KERS. It is becoming quite popular at the higher end of motorsports ('cept for NSACAR where a Ford Fusion is not a hybrid even though it's suppose to be representing the production model). KERS is not actually required in F1, it is however used by the whole field because it's an advantage. Last season was the first one where every car on the F1 grid was KERS equipped. I think it's been around for 4 years now since it's introduction. All F1 cars use it because of the advantage it gives over just ICE. The LaFerrari, P1, and 918 show that hybrid technology is not just about saving fuel. Fuel consumption was at the very bottom of the list as far as requirements when they conceptualized these cars. Simply put; "Hybrid...makes...car...better.". To take that one step further, I would be willing to say, "Pure EV... makes...car...best." ;)

Back