Leaf Audio/Music Features

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frank said:
If it can stream Bluetooth music (A2DP) that would be very nice but Nissan so far has only stated that Bluetooth will be used for phone calls. One of the head units in the 2010 Altima can stream A2DP Bluetooth music so if you consider a 2011 Leaf to be a higher tier Nissan model than the Altima it should also have the A2DP feature.

Searching a little about this - looks like all Nissan/Infinity vehicles have A2DP feature and stream music from various smart phones.

The reason I asked about which iPods work is that I would like to purchase an iPod ...

Except iod 3 apparently has some BT issues. Other iPods work fine.

So, anyone going to a Leaf test drive next week - can you check whether music streaming from the phone to Leaf will work ?

evnow said:
So, anyone going to a Leaf test drive next week - can you check whether music streaming from the phone to Leaf will work ?
I'm going to try with a 2nd Gen Ipod Touch (w/bluetooth software update).

At the very least, it should answer my 'will it charge' question (it doesn't charge on my old Mp32Car adapter on my prius which only charges older Ipods). With any luck it answers the A2DP question (note: have to check specs first)

(oh, and test drive for me is on Saturday in San Diego)

I spent a brief amount of time with the audio system at the OC Auto Show on Sunday. I brought various sources of music.

SD card: I couldn't get it to recognize this card in Slot A. It is possible that you would have to navigate the menus and maybe "mount" it. Slot B was already occupied by an SD card for the NAV system.

Audio CD-RW: Works as regular audio CD. If it has CD-text, it will be displayed.

MP3s on CD-RW: Works. Each folder of MP3s is an album. No cover art.

MP3s on DVD+RW: Not recognized. I guess the disk player only works with CDs and their variants.

iPhone: Tested Bluetooth A2DP and it works but its functionality seems limited to pause/play of whatever is currently playing. I forgot my iPhone USB cable so I couldn't try that. I also forgot to try Voice Command on a Bluetooth linked iPhone which would be useful for hands-free use.

Other notes: No HD radio. Radio text is displayed-for example, KOST FM will show name of current song.

BruinLEAFer said:
SD card: I couldn't get it to recognize this card in Slot A. It is possible that you would have to navigate the menus and maybe "mount" it. Slot B was already occupied by an SD card for the NAV system..

2009 maxima manual says you should keep pressing source until you get CF ...

Woohoo a2dp :) as far as control, the best I've used has only had pause-play-skip function over bt, so I can deal with just missing skip.

BruinLEAFer said:
iPhone: Tested Bluetooth A2DP and it works but its functionality seems limited to pause/play of whatever is currently playing. I forgot my iPhone USB cable so I couldn't try that. I also forgot to try Voice Command on a Bluetooth linked iPhone which would be useful for hands-free use.

Over A2DP - does Leaf show track details ?

BTW, I've linked the 2011 Maxima user manual in the reference docs thread. Starting 4-47 is the audio. It describes all the features we have questions about - including USB (4-52), BT streaming audio /a2dp - (4-53), iPod (4-93).

The USB Stick is where it's at for me with the Leaf tunes...A decent sized stick or two with tagged mp3 files from my collection will work great. Steaming from a phone is less convenient for me...

I'd like to run a USB cable/extension into the glove box so that my USB stick is hidden when playing tunes. It doesn't have to be visible on the center console....

Randy said:
The USB Stick is where it's at for me with the Leaf tunes...A decent sized stick or two with tagged mp3 files from my collection will work great. Steaming from a phone is less convenient for me...

I'd like to run a USB cable/extension into the glove box so that my USB stick is hidden when playing tunes. It doesn't have to be visible on the center console....

It looks like a USB flash drive will work well. If you poke around on Amazon you can find some very small USB flash drives (physical size). But it would be even better if the SD memory card would work because it is completely hidden behind the nav screen.

Frank said:
Randy said:

It looks like a USB flash drive will work well. If you poke around on Amazon you can find some very small USB flash drives (physical size). But it would be even better if the SD memory card would work because it is completely hidden behind the nav screen.

Not to mention the storage capacity and that I have several 32G SD cards.

With an android device, you can set the car to auto-connect to the phone via a2dp, then the play button will open either your media player or other media app (ie pandora) whichever was used most recently, and start playing. I've got a 16gb microsd (will probably switch to a 32 at some point soon) in my phone full of music, and a really nicely tuned pandora station, so having that work is a huge plus for me. Even usb doesn't really beat auto-connecting to something you never have to take out of your pocket, then just hitting play for convenience :) It does lose display of the names and such, so I can still see the allure of usb... but not enough to make up for pandora! :D

BruinLEAFer said:
evnow said:
Over A2DP - does Leaf show track details ?
Not when I tried. It showed "Bluetooth" and 2 on-screen buttons ("play" and "pause") on the NAV screen. My iPhone did display album/track info during playback, of course.

So, A2DP is like Aux - may be a little better sonically and ofcourse more convenient to connect. But not having skip feature would probably force me to switch to USB ... unless I'm streaming.

I predict I will be using the 1/8" audio cable since what I need is the ability to skip back 7 second for the cases when I miss what was just said due to traffic conditions. I listen to Audio Books and Podcasts and as the only software I can modify is the iPhone, it's going to be the iPhone that has the Tap2GoBack functionality and as I don't think I can control digital audio playback from the phone on the dash, the only way I'm getting skip-back is to mount my phone and make the whole screen a tap point to skip back.

I just wish more people listened to audio books and podcasts instead of music while driving so more people would understand the issue and a Tap2GoBack feature would become more ubiquitous.

Pause, Resume, Skip Forward 30 seconds, and Back 10 seconds would seem useful to me.

Caution: Concentrating on anything (phone, book, music, talk show, children, conversation, eating, etc.) other than driving and the traffic around you ... can lead to situations involving serious "unintended (de)acceleration".

Actually, on audio quality - to clarify, a2dp is (unless you've got some crazy bitrate mp3s) not a limiting factor in a player. The data bandwidth permitted on a bluetooth connection, excluding basic connectivity channels, is 768kbps. So unless you've got some exceptionally high bitrate mp3s (or unless the a2dp implementation in your device is craptastic, which admittedly isn't unheard of...) the a2dp connection is completely lossless.

But yeah, I can still see the argument for skips...

To the user who tried a2dp earlier... did you try the cd skip fwd/back buttons to see if it would skip to next/prev song? I know you were testing 100 different things, but it doesn't hurt to ask :)

Back