Leaf Audio/Music Features

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
My music is in hierarchical directories : genre - artist - album. Does Leaf handle 3 levels ?

It handles it fine, the only limitation is that it will only show you the 'album' level folder. So all your music will come up listed by album name. I don't necessarily love that method of organization, but it does work. I guess I could copy all my music into 'artist' folders and then I could have it by artist.. or make genre folders and do it by genre. It would be cool if the leaf could sort using the data in the MP3 tags. So we didn't have to do all the sorting and organizing. Maybe in the next version of the LEAF software (version 1.1?).

-Peter

prberg said:
It handles it fine, the only limitation is that it will only show you the 'album' level folder. So all your music will come up listed by album name. I don't necessarily love that method of organization, but it does work. I guess I could copy all my music into 'artist' folders and then I could have it by artist.. or make genre folders and do it by genre. It would be cool if the leaf could sort using the data in the MP3 tags. So we didn't have to do all the sorting and organizing. Maybe in the next version of the LEAF software (version 1.1?).
I could overload the album name to conatin genre+artist+album.

Yes, Nissan should get a real music player software ...

It's a socket. Vertical. On the console at the very front, on the left. Covered by a cap. It's not a drive -- just a socket for you to put your USB drive or adapter into.

If you tap the center console with your right knee, it's right in front of there..

GroundLoop said:
It's a socket. Vertical. On the console at the very front, on the left. Covered by a cap. It's not a drive -- just a socket for you to put your USB drive or adapter into.

If you tap the center console with your right knee, it's right in front of there..

And the 1/8" audio jack is under a similar cap on the right side of the console. Aft of each of these caps are two black non-caps...maybe future spots for seat heater switches?

Very interesting, I had a chance to play with my LEAF stereo a bit today and there are two things I'm still scratching my head over. I should probably open a case with Nissan Customer Support, but I'll post here first and see what people think.

1) When playing CDs or from the USB stick, there is no way to pause the song being played (!)
You can turn off the stereo with one button, and of course you can hold the down volume button until the song gets low in volume. But there's no way to pause that I can see.

2) The stereo doesn't seem to be aware of track numbers in the tags. It plays songs in a random order, even when the menu is set to "normal" and not shuffle play. My mp3 files have IDV1 and IDV2 tags with track numbers populated, and they play in a non-numerical order that isn't alpha order either. I even redid a USB stick and copied the files one at a time in track numerical order and they didn't play in that order. I can't seem to figure out what the play order is based on. It will tell you what folder number is playing, and that it is track 5/12, but that doesn't correspond to the REAL track 5...It does display Artist, Album, and Song title tags, just no track number.

Still thinking about this...

Any ideas?

Randy said:
1) When playing CDs or from the USB stick, there is no way to pause the song being played (!)
You can turn off the stereo with one button, and of course you can hold the down volume button until the song gets low in volume. But there's no way to pause that I can see.
Press Play again to pause ?

2) The stereo doesn't seem to be aware of track numbers in the tags. It plays songs in a random order, even when the menu is set to "normal" and not shuffle play. My mp3 files have IDV1 and IDV2 tags with track numbers populated, and they play in a non-numerical order that isn't alpha order either. I even redid a USB stick and copied the files one at a time in track numerical order and they didn't play in that order. I can't seem to figure out what the play order is based on. It will tell you what folder number is playing, and that it is track 5/12, but that doesn't correspond to the REAL track 5...It does display Artist, Album, and Song title tags, just no track number.
Check the manual. It explains in what order the songs play. From the Maxima manual - it will play in the order the songs appear in the directory ("how it is stored"). Yes - not how it should - in the track # order.

Randy said:
Very interesting, I had a chance to play with my LEAF stereo a bit today and there are two things I'm still scratching my head over. I should probably open a case with Nissan Customer Support, but I'll post here first and see what people think.

Still thinking about this...

Any ideas?

I wish there was a pause button. Maybe something we need to request. I know on my prius there is no pause either. I just have to hit the power and turn off the stereo to 'pause'. Not a perfect solution.

That is a bummer about it not picking up the track numbers. I am finding that the stereo is a little lacking. I wish there was other ways to sort music. And I really wish it would arrange my music by artist. Do I really have to copy all my music into 'artist' folders? Is there a music organizing software that could help us there? itunes doesn't give me enough options for the way that is orginizes the music folders.

-Peter

There isn't a play button either but I'm okay with the system playing a CD when I insert it or playing when I select the USB stick input :)

I've been reading the manual for a couple of hours, which of course is not what us guys normally do, right? :)
It really doesn't address the order of file/track playback in the manual...

It displays the folders with their names in one view. So it makes sense to have separate folders named with the artist names. You can push the touchscreen on a folder name and it goes straight to that folder.

I haven't tried to see if the 255 folder spec is valid, but the 510 file spec is not valid. I placed over 1000 files spread into different folders and they played fine.

prberg said:
Is there a music organizing software that could help us there? itunes doesn't give me enough options for the way that is orginizes the music folders.
I use TagScanner. Very nice freeware. Both for editing tags and for organizing actual files/folders.

http://download.cnet.com/TagScanner/3000-2141_4-10056506.html

There are a lot of programs that will do the job. I'm partial to MP3-Tag Studio and it works great as well....

Well, the more I read the manual, the more info I find...Guess I missed this the first time (and second time) around...I was concentrating on the CD and USB specific pages and not the intro...

stereo.jpg

They're saying that the files will play in the order written....Back to the drawing board to make sure that I'm writing the USB stick in the correct order....

Randy said:
Well, the more I read the manual, the more info I find...Guess I missed this the first time (and second time) around...I was concentrating on the CD and USB specific pages and not the intro...
Exactly same as in 2010 G37.

Ah, good. Except that your scan alludes to an additional figure showing the playback order of compressed audio files? Is it any different?

Randy said:
Ah, good. Except that your scan alludes to an additional figure showing the playback order of compressed audio files? Is it any different?
Don't see that - "additional figure" ?

The last bullet item on the page that references the "Next figure"? Or maybe they mean the figure that's on the page?

Randy said:
The last bullet item on the page that references the "Next figure"? Or maybe they mean the figure that's on the page?
No - they just mean the figure on that page (this is from the pdf).

Back