Leaf been in shop for 4 weeks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckb

My new Leaf has been at the dealer for almost as long as I have drove it.

First the charging system had to be replaced, then the PTC Heater went out. The heater has been backordered from Nissan. The dealership has no idea when the part will be available.

I've had their Leaf to drive, I've put about 1000 miles on it. Now they are wanting me to call Nissan customer care and complain to them to see if it will get the part shipped any quicker.

Still enjoy the Leaf though. Saves me money every day.

Surprised to see this to show up on new Leafs. I had exact same issue the day I got mine, took them a week to fix it though. Good luck.

garygid said:
Check that the dealer is not keeping your car charged to 100%,
and possibly sitting in the hot sun all day.
Definitely check on the 100% but equally important is how cold it's getting. Don't let the battery freeze. I garage mine at night and the battery temp has been at 4 bars since Monday morning even after charging 30%-80/100%.

Sorry to hear the car's in the shop. That sucks.

Keep drivin' that loaner Chuck :D Pretty soon the dealer will call Nissan and take care of it. Just call the dealer and thank them for the loaner every time you put another 1000 miles on it. He'll eventually take care of it :cool:

chuckb said:
I've had their Leaf to drive, I've put about 1000 miles on it.

Sorry to hear you're having issues. I think the heaters tend to have problems. I'm glad you have a loaner Leaf and are getting good use out of it. :)

i've come to realize this is the problem with wanting to be in the front row for new technology. the big problem is, with things like the leaf, no one ever seems to know how to work on them. causes more problems than you wish they could solve.

briando said:
i've come to realize this is the problem with wanting to be in the front row for new technology. the big problem is, with things like the leaf, no one ever seems to know how to work on them. causes more problems than you wish they could solve.

Why do you have a link to a dealership in your post? Please remove it.

In Michigan, I believe they have 30 days to fix the car, or it's a lemon and they have to replace it. Definitely research lemon law in your area. Or keep quiet and keep driving their loaner. Just make sure they aren't parking it at 100% or letting it freeze.

ksnogas2112 said:
I garage mine at night and the battery temp has been at 4 bars since Monday morning even after charging 30%-80/100%.

My battery is always at max. 4 bars and I also saw 3 and 2 bars - it is not harmful. Battery heater has never started working yet (according to manual should start at -20C, we had only min. -15C this winter). So nothing to worry. High temperature is harmful for battery life, low is opposite saving it. But of course shouldn't fall under -25C, but battery heater should care about it.

My LEAF has been in the shop since November 30th.

Heater died. Can't drive a car at 5am that causes me to shiver thanks to near freezing temperatures inside the cabin, despite being in the garage.

They gave me a loaner. A Nissan Versa. It was only supposed to take "a couple of weeks". Over the course of that "couple of weeks" I called in a few times to see what was going on. Was told they had no ETA on parts. Finally was told parts would be coming in before Christmas. Christmas approaches and I get another call saying that another part needs to be released from the factory and theres no ETA on that parts arrival.

My LEAF was less than 6 months old when the heater died. I made my payment for December after taking it in. My payment is coming up again. If I make it here in the next week and a half before its due, it will be the second payment I've made without having the car in my possession.

I live in California. I've read all about the lemon law here. It's been well over 30 days now. Since Nissan is the one manufacturing the parts while still manufacturing, delivering, and selling new LEAFs, I don't see how this is a situation beyond their control. It's not like they made the part and shipped it and the part got destroyed in shipment. Seeing as how other people on this forum have had the same problem and have had their car fixed in record time in comparison, it seems to be entirely up to NIssan as to how long it takes for them to get the part out. And this is definitely something that affects the usability, value, and even the safety of the car. It's not safe to drive a car when you're shivering or the windows are icing over. Nobody wants to buy a car that has no working climate control, so it affects the value. And seeing as how it's difficult to drive it to where I need to be because of the cold temperatures, it affects the usability.

Anyway, I'm not happy at all about this experience. Such a major component shouldn't fail so quickly. And if it does, it shouldn't take so long to repair. This seems to have happened to enough people over the short history of the LEAF that one could even go so far as to argue that Nissan is knowingly selling these cars defective and hoping that the game of percentages ends up being on their side. At the very least, it's happened to enough people for NIssan to know to keep spare parts on hand so it takes no more than a few days to get this problem taken care of. And offer better treatment of customers than giving them a NIssan Versa without a radio antenna and trash and greasy fingerprints left over from the previous driver.

Welcome to the forum!
ihatethisplace said:
My LEAF has been in the shop since November 30th.
That's a very long time for the car to be in the shop!
ihatethisplace said:
Heater died.
I'm wondering: Did the heater work when you first received it?

In any case, I agree with all you have written. These heaters seem to fail way too often and the repairs are taking way too long. Driving a LEAF in the wintertime around here without the heater is not possible due to the fogging of the windshield.

Call Nissan's LEAF CUSTOMER Service every day, open a Case,
and each day ask to escalate the case, and talk to a manager.

Normally Nissan is quite responsive to LEAF repairs, and something
is strange in this case, it seems, like somebody dropped the ball,
or something else unusual is going on.

garygid said:
And keep a record (notes) on it.

Where are you located and which dealer are you using for service ?

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you!

That's a very long time for the car to be in the shop!

Yup. Tomorrow will be day 35.

I'm wondering: Did the heater work when you first received it?

Yeah, it did. I used it about a dozen times maybe before it died. Air conditioner worked great during the Summer, despite significantly decreasing the range. Heater worked a bit then died. In fact, it worked that very same morning it died. I had the timer set up and it ran its cycle. Was off when I came out to get in the car. Got into a nice warm car. Heater started blowing cold air as I was driving.

In any case, I agree with all you have written. These heaters seem to fail way too often and the repairs are taking way too long. Driving a LEAF in the wintertime around here without the heater is not possible due to the fogging of the windshield.

Same here. The windshield fogs up when its just cold, not near freezing.

Normally Nissan is quite responsive to LEAF repairs, and something
is strange in this case, it seems, like somebody dropped the ball,
or something else unusual is going on.

Supposedly my case has been escalated to the "top". I found that out today. But yeah, that is something the OP should definitely do as well. No reason for these repairs to take so long. Especially when new LEAFs are still being manufactured and delivered to dealerships for sale.

And keep a record (notes) on it.

Where are you located and which dealer are you using for service ?

Southern California, with the car sitting at Fontana Nissan.

I did an EECB on Sunday. http://consumerist.com/2007/05/11/how-to-launch-an-executive-email-carpet-bomb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guess what call I received this morning? Yup, parts in. Car should finally be done in a couple of days. When I called LEAF customer service today I was told my case had been escalated "to the top". Had the person I spoke to send off the request for a buy back without a messy lemon law fight to the executive relations person supposedly handling my case now.

Also spoke with an attorney today. He explained that the only way Nissan could take longer than 30 days to repair a car is if there was something legitimately out of their control causing the delay. Not having the parts on hand or taking too long to manufacture them isn't a reason, he said. Something like a natural disaster, workers strike, plant burning down, destroyed in transit, etc. Not just slow manufacturing. Especially when LEAFs are still being manufactured. He also explained that I have the option of filing a lemon law claim even after picking the car up. So I'm considering it.

Don't get me wrong, I loved that car. I really truly liked it. Cruising passed gas stations when gas was hovering around $4.60 was amazing. But having such a major failure after such a short period of time, on a car that was manufactured shortly before sale, and then having the manufacturer take 37 days (they ordered the parts prior to me dropping the car off) to deliver the needed parts is unacceptable.

Back