Leaf been in shop for 4 weeks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ihatethisplace said:
Don't get me wrong, I loved that car. I really truly liked it. Cruising passed gas stations when gas was hovering around $4.60 was amazing. But having such a major failure after such a short period of time, on a car that was manufactured shortly before sale, and then having the manufacturer take 37 days (they ordered the parts prior to me dropping the car off) to deliver the needed parts is unacceptable.
This is pretty concerning for a major manufacturer. Did anyone offer any explanation about how this happened? I haven't had any problems with my Leaf, but it concerns me that it could take over a month to get a part. With 15,000 plus Leafs in the U.S. don't you think they would keep a couple sitting around for a rainy day (or in this case, for a cold day)?

Stoaty said:
ihatethisplace said:
Don't get me wrong, I loved that car. I really truly liked it. Cruising passed gas stations when gas was hovering around $4.60 was amazing. But having such a major failure after such a short period of time, on a car that was manufactured shortly before sale, and then having the manufacturer take 37 days (they ordered the parts prior to me dropping the car off) to deliver the needed parts is unacceptable.
This is pretty concerning for a major manufacturer. Did anyone offer any explanation about how this happened? I haven't had any problems with my Leaf, but it concerns me that it could take over a month to get a part. With 15,000 plus Leafs in the U.S. don't you think they would keep a couple sitting around for a rainy day (or in this case, for a cold day)?

I got my LEAF back today. Since I legally had to pick it up regardless of whether Nissan honors my buy back request or I do a lemon law claim.

But anyway, talking to the guy, he said they found a bolt that was "longer than the others" when taking the car apart. The technician said it was possible the longer bolt caused a short. I just sort of stared blankly when I heard that explanation. I mean, really?

But with so many cars sold, and with so many people having this issue, they should have these parts available. Thankfully, the attorney I spoke to said that only a natural disaster or something truly beyond Nissan's control, such as a worker strike or part destroyed in transit, would be grounds for holding the car so long. So we'll see. I really don't want to sue Nissan. I don't want to go through the lemon law process. I'd much rather work with them to buy the car back and I'd get a different Nissan in exchange for them working with me. I've made that abundantly clear to them.

ihatethisplace said:
...I don't want to go through the lemon law process. I'd much rather work with them to buy the car back and I'd get a different Nissan in exchange for them working with me. I've made that abundantly clear to them.
If you're simply planning to get a different LEAF, you may prefer to keep yours after the repair. There's every reason to believe that when the car is finally repaired that it will be sound. A new one might turn out to have the same fault. I'd be angling for some compensation for your car being AWOL rather than trying to return it.

On the other hand, if you don't want a LEAF going forward, then you might as well start the lemon law proceedings.

Back