LEAF outsold all other Nissan models in 4 cities in April

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgaydos

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151967275617796&set=a.10150129438332796.335311.141137487795&type=1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guessing from the photo and what I've seen on this forum that the cities are Seattle, San Francisco, Honolulu, and Portland.

Having spent a lot of time on the SF Peninsula the last few months, including frequently jogging by/through the car lot of Boardwalk Nissan, I am totally not surprised to see San Francisco on this list. Or maybe it was San Jose ....

Nissan LEAF Crosses 25,000 U.S. Sales Milestone

Nissan LEAF sales have risen steadily since the vehicle's launch and have grown tremendously compared to the previous year with sales jumping several-fold in LEAF's traditionally high-performing markets such as San Francisco—where LEAF was the top-selling vehicle for the Nissan brand in April—Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland and San Diego.

If the Leaf can outsell Altima, it should encourage Nissan to roll out other EVs a little faster, sports cars, vans, pick ups.

So, how long before Nissan hits the 200k cap for the Fed tax credit?

I was planning on leasing again in 2014, but may have to buy instead if it's getting close.

Can't count on them to raise the cap.

Could go with another brand if one was available here and a good fit.

West coast people must be proportionally cooler, it can't be just better incentives because Seattle and Portland don't get the CA rebates, and CO, GA, and WV have great incentives and aren't on that list.

Is there a breakdown of sales by state or region? I wonder why sales aren't higher on the East coast, where distances are relatively small.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
So, how long before Nissan hits the 200k cap for the Fed tax credit?
West coast people must be proportionally cooler, it can't be just better incentives because Seattle and Portland don't get the CA rebates, and CO, GA, and WV have great incentives and aren't on that list.
A LONG way away given http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-leaf-crosses-25-000-u-s-sales-milestone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I believe in WA, EVs are still exempt from sales tax, which is a big savings.

Apparently Boardwalk Nissan delivered at least 8 of them yesterday alone. Including the one I was trying to get long distance and never got a call back on. Not real happy about that.

ksnogas2112 said:
The fact that the Leaf is the #1 selling model in any city is totally awesome. That it happened in 4 different cities in the same month is awesome!

I agree and it is very encouraging. I know we had a thread on this news story a few weeks ago and I already said this, but it is worth repeating. I think those particular cities are nearing a critical mass. I think the criteria would be:
  • Everyone knows at least one person who drives one and sees that they are happy with it and don't get stranded on the side of the road.
  • There is plenty of charging infrastructure so people feel secure that they'll have a place to charge if needed.
  • Because of the extra charging infrastructure, they also see other cars parked at the charger, helping to re-enforce that EVs are real and they work.
  • The dealerships sell enough of them that they actually understand the cars and actually TRY to sell them to customers.

As these cities continue to grow as an example of how EVs really do work, more of the country will fall in line. Most of the stupid arguments made against EVs will sort of fall apart when you can point to one of these other cities and show how well it is working there.

Reported as top selling car in:
Los Angeles
Seattle
Portland
San Diego

I like the list adric made. In SLC it is obvious that we do not have enough charge stations. This also seems like the hardest one to solve.

Is this the main obstacle to overcome where sales are low ?

gsleaf said:
KJD said:
Is this the main obstacle to overcome where sales are low ?

All of the cities have temperate climates which I'm sure was a huge help.
Seattle & Portland don't have "temperate" climates. We have maritime climate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_climate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or looking at it the other way, Nissan sales as a whole are in the dumper! :lol:

ksnogas2112 said:
The fact that the Leaf is the #1 selling model in any city is totally awesome. That it happened in 4 different cities in the same month is awesome!

drees said:
Nissan LEAF Crosses 25,000 U.S. Sales Milestone

Nissan LEAF sales have risen steadily since the vehicle's launch and have grown tremendously compared to the previous year with sales jumping several-fold in LEAF's traditionally high-performing markets such as San Francisco—where LEAF was the top-selling vehicle for the Nissan brand in April—Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland and San Diego.
I suspect that the LEAF was the top-selling Nissan brand in only ONE market. Note that the pertinent clause in the sentence drees quoted applies only to San Francisco, not the other four cities listed after that. There's still a long way to go, but that's certainly an admirable start.

Glenn

Glenn said:
I suspect that the LEAF was the top-selling Nissan brand in only ONE market. Note that the pertinent clause in the sentence drees quoted applies only to San Francisco, not the other four cities listed after that. There's still a long way to go, but that's certainly an admirable start.
Yes, the sentence structure makes it look that way - but from other sources we already knew Leaf was the highest selling Nissan model in Seattle & Portland.

all this happening while sales are still depressed due to supply issues. Nissan lost a sale to a RAV last month because Doug wanted a SL advanced in white but there was only one in the ENTIRE country. So while waiting for the car to become available he started looking at the RAV 4 EV and the next thing we know WA has its (guessing here) 5th or 6th RAV 4 EV owner...

evnow said:
Glenn said:
Yes, the sentence structure makes it look that way - but from other sources we already knew Leaf was the highest selling Nissan model in Seattle & Portland.

to add that is true for BOTH April and May

DaveinOlyWA said:
evnow said:
Glenn said:

to add that is true for BOTH April and May
I'm not questioning your comments, but can either of you point me to the source(s) for these statements. I'm not very good at figuring out how to word online search requests.

Glenn said:
I'm not questioning your comments, but can either of you point me to the source(s) for these statements. I'm not very good at figuring out how to word online search requests.

the main source for OR is OEVA.org (Oregon electric vehicle association) for Seattle it has several sources but we heard about it long before it became public knowledge due to participation of the local dealers in the Seattle area on the LEAF Facebook group which includes Nissan of the Eastside in Bellevue which claims to be the largest volume LEAF dealer in the country and they back it up with a 25 LEAF loaner fleet

If other people are getting the same cheap lease deal I got I can understand why the Leaf would top the sales for Portland. Also, on May 15, 2013 the Leaf was the only electric car I could just walk in and acquire. If there was an electric Honda or a Fiat or Toyota or Smart at a local dealer they were keeping it secret. That made my choice pretty simple.

Back