Looking for A Cheap Used EV that Likely Doesn't Exist

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeftieBiker

Staff member
I'll have to turn in my 2018 Leaf SL next year. I may try for a lease extension to let me drive her through the Summer, but by next Fall we'll be down to one car. My health issues may well have ended my driving career by then, but if not I may not be happy without my own car, or at least access to a car when I need one. We will also lack a cargo hauler, having traded in the PIP. What I'd like to be able to find, as a second, mostly local-use vehicle, is something that:

* Costs less than $10k used. If that is with minor body damage or a degraded battery, that's ok. The range need only be 35 miles with heat.

* Is a full EV, NOT a PHEV. We are heartily sick of ICEs. No more PIPs!

* Has a large cargo area, or at least an adequate one, with little or no liftover lip in the back.

My current think is a used iMiev, but I don't know if it would meet the cargo area criterion. Oh, how I long for a Leaf wagon or CUV!

I think that my first idea may be the winner:

https://www.edmunds.com/mitsubishi/i-miev/2012/long-term-road-test/cargo-space.html

i_miev_cargo1-thumb-717x477-122983.jpg

The iMiev also easily meets my price criterion, with prices well below $10k for late models. Just one hitch: there are none for sale anywhere in my state. ;-)

Sorry to hear about the health issues, and hope you come across an i-MiEV.

Would a 2015'ish LEAF not satisfy your needs? With a trunk storage box, or a homemade false floor, the trunk floor could be close to flush with the trunk opening and the rear seat shelf (rear seat removed).

I really like the Fiat 500e and Chevy Spark EV, but I'm not sure they would meet your cargo requirements.

A used Kia Soul EV should manage cargo well, but may not quite get under $10k.

I'm ruling out the Leaf for two related reasons:

1. We already have two Leafs, and will still have one when I turn mine in. They are ok for cargo, but...

2. That rear liftover is way too high for heavy or long loads. The PIP had no rear lip, and the iMiev doesn't have one either. I was thinking of the Kia Soul, but also figured that unless I got very lucky, they would be at least 50% above my price ceiling.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm ruling out the Leaf for two related reasons:

1. We already have two Leafs, and will still have one when I turn mine in. They are ok for cargo, but...

2. That rear liftover is way too high for heavy or long loads. The PIP had no rear lip, and the iMiev doesn't have one either. I was thinking of the Kia Soul, but also figured that unless I got very lucky, they would be at least 50% above my price ceiling.

You can always raise the floor

Go out and look at your Leaf's cargo area. Then picture the floor raised to the top of the rear lip. I think that you'll be able, at that point, to figure out the problems with that approach. FWIW, in another topic I started, called something like 'Tips & Tricks for the Gen II Leaf', I show how I got a level cargo floor in my Bose-equipped Leaf by using a Weather Tech hard cargo mat and some foam packing material.

LeftieBiker said:
FWIW, in another topic I started, called something like 'Tips & Tricks for the Gen II Leaf', I show how I got a level cargo floor in my Bose-equipped Leaf by using a Weather Tech hard cargo mat and some foam packing material.
That is along the lines I was thinking. And of course it does not have to be flush.

Essentially, I'm looking for an EV with little or no rear lip and a good sized cargo area with the rear seats lowered. Since the pandemic we haven't had a single rear seat passenger, and I don't see that changing, so think "two seat station wagon." The iMiev fits the bill nicely, along with being cheap. I'll spend the Winter looking into the long term reliability of the car. It would only get used maybe once a week. I drove one years ago, in a large parking lot, and found it ok. I know about the terrible highway ride, but it wouldn't get used on the highway except in unusual situations. It just needs to get one of around when the other one is using the Plus, and to haul cargo well for 10-20 miles or so. It could also, come to think of it, easily carry my rather heavy fat tire folding e-bike to the bike trails...

Back