Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've finally made it to the downtown LA QC by the Toy Factory today, the lot was gated and no attendant but the restaurant across the street opened the gate for me. QC unit was shown as "offline" through the Blink web-site but I found it working, sort of. Only left terminal could read my card. I selected 80% charge and discovered 30 minutes later the car charged to 60% only. Tried again to 80%, it started charging but soon stopped again at 62% or so. I had enough charge at that point to make it home so didn't bother trying charging to 100% but the whole thing didn't seem right. The charger read SOC correctly before charging but would overestimate it during charge and stop too early. Not sure where the problem was. I previously charged several times at Mitsubishi HQ in Cypress without any issues. Any ideas?

rcyoder said:
Do you realize that at $2/hr it is more expensive to charge than to fill up with gas for the cars you reference, even in CA? I may be moving further away from work in the near future and if I can't find a more or less convenient place to charge for $1 or less while at work my Leaf and I will be parting ways.

OTOH, the 2013 Leaf has a 6.6 kW charger so $2/hour becomes much more reasonable. This is one of the reasons why they should charge by the kWh *NOT* connect time.
Charging by the amount of electricity delivered adds a level of government. The dept of wieghts and measures gets involved. Charging by the hour gets around this issue, so it is easier.

Caracalover said:
rcyoder said:
Do you realize that at $2/hr it is more expensive to charge than to fill up with gas for the cars you reference, even in CA? I may be moving further away from work in the near future and if I can't find a more or less convenient place to charge for $1 or less while at work my Leaf and I will be parting ways.

OTOH, the 2013 Leaf has a 6.6 kW charger so $2/hour becomes much more reasonable. This is one of the reasons why they should charge by the kWh *NOT* connect time.
Charging by the amount of electricity delivered adds a level of government. The dept of wieghts and measures gets involved. Charging by the hour gets around this issue, so it is easier.
Fine . . . knock it down a buck, and maybe ... just MAYBE they'll actually get the cobwebs knocked off the evse.

BTW ... if that's not unlikely enough ... the the 2013's charging capability will only still be trickling along at the good ol old fashion rate of a paltry rate of 3kw.

Hi Metro LA, new Leaf driver as of 10/19. We're in Sherman Oaks and trickling it while we wait for installation of the charger. (Fortunately we primarily work from home.)

I will be browsing past posts and I appreciate knowing there are people I can reach out to if I need help (such as...no charging anywhere within walking distance of CSU Long Beach?? Harumph.)

Evolotus said:
Hi Metro LA, new Leaf driver as of 10/19. We're in Sherman Oaks and trickling it while we wait for installation of the charger. (Fortunately we primarily work from home.)

I will be browsing past posts and I appreciate knowing there are people I can reach out to if I need help (such as...no charging anywhere within walking distance of CSU Long Beach?? Harumph.)
Welcome! I wonder how many of the names from the start of this thread still read this. I check in from time to time, but not all that often any more. I just keep driving my Leaf!

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

16 Fast Chargers Coming to the Los Angeles Area

This welcome news was received today (Oct. 30) by way of an email exchange I had with Director of Engineering at LADWP on another, related topic.

The pertinent paragraph from his email is below:

In addition to regular chargers, as part of our Smart Grid Demo Project, LADWP will be installing 16 DC fast Chargers in and around LA.  One is planned for the main DWP office building [1st & Hope St., downtown LA]. This may be of interest to you if your Leaf is equipped with the DC port.

He did not indicate any specific timetable for this. But in another paragraph referring to LADWP's plans to install additional EVSE for LADWP employees at their main office in order to free up about a dozen existing charging stations for visitors, he said:

DWP recently received confirmation of a grant from the California Energy Commission to facilitate installation of workplace EV chargers for employees. That agreement is being finalized at this time with the goal to have the chargers installed by summer, 2013 if not before.  Our facility folks are placing the order for the materials at this time.

Hopefully, the DCFC project will be concurrent with the employee charging station project.

If more details come my way, I will post them here.

Yes, I find myself visiting MNL less and less as time passes...

Caracalover said:
Welcome! I wonder how many of the names from the start of this thread still read this. I check in from time to time, but not all that often any more.

LADWP covers only L.A City proper, not L.A, County, so unfortunately their reach won't be very big if they are limited to that geographical consideration...

timhebb said:
In addition to regular chargers, as part of our Smart Grid Demo Project, LADWP will be installing 16 DC fast Chargers in and around LA.  One is planned for the main DWP office building [1st & Hope St., downtown LA]. This may be of interest to you if your Leaf is equipped with the DC port.

TomT said:
LADWP covers only L.A City proper, not L.A, County, so unfortunately their reach won't be very big if they are limited to that geographical consideration...

True enough - but it should work well for those of us whose driving is mostly within the city limits, which includes much of the San Fernando Valley, and is therefore a pretty vast area - 469 square miles per Wikipedia. That works out to just slightly better than one fast charger for every 30 square miles - not exactly a dense concentration. So, personally, I'm glad they won't be spread out even thinner to cover the whole county. Burbank, Beverly Hills, Glendale, Pasadena, Santa Monica, etc., etc., can fend for themselves, and I suspect some of those city governments, which already have admirable L2 charging facilities, will step up when they see LADWP raising the bar. I can't really see this as a bad thing by any stretch.

This may be the CEC grant that Southern California Public Power Authority (SCPPA) applied for last spring. The member Utilities include Anaheim, Azusa, Banning, Burbank, Colton, Glendale, La Quinta/Indio, Los Angeles, Pasadena, and Riverside. One can hope...

Update: Each of these Utilities filed grant applications individually. I know of one that did not get funding.

Update 2: AB 118 Funding- PON-11-602_NOPA_R2.pdf at http://www.energy.ca.gov/contracts/transportation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NOTICE OF PROPOSED AWARDS
Round 2
Alternative and Renewable Fuel and Vehicle Technology Program
Grant Solicitation PON-11-602
Alternative Fuels Infrastructure: Electric, Natural Gas,
Propane, E85, and Diesel Substitutes Terminals
August 16, 2012
Green Charge Networks, LLC receives $1 Million for Quick Chargers in LA, Orange County, San Diego, etc. The addresses listed are 7-11/gas stations and mini-malls.

SCAQMD receives $225K.

Valdemar said:
You can charge on campus, or so it seems:

http://www.recargo.com/sites/7055" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Valdemar! I wonder why that did not come up in my searches. I'm so new at this game I probably don't even know how to search properly.

Caracalover, I know what you mean. Once the bloom is off the rose and people get into their groove, they don't get as much out of a community like this. No worries...there are many more future Leafers who'll find this.

Now I am trying to maintain my cool despite the various runarounds and delays with the home charger installation. Apparently "Ecotality" is now two guys in a beat-up Jeep with a magnetic sign bearing the name of a roofing company, who charged $725 and didn't give me a receipt. Uh. Yeah.

I think this is my first post here!

There is a new Blink group of chargers off of the 5 and Atlantic in the Carls Jr. parking lot. This is near the Citadel Outlets. Went there yesterday on my way home (I work in LA, but live in Tustin). Easy to get to going Northbound, but going Southbound is a little harder with all the traffic and whatnot.

Cheers!

Bobby :mrgreen:

Taking a trip Christmas day from Torrance to Arcadia. I'm approximating that the trip will be 90+ miles so I'm looking for any information for charging stations in that area. I see nothing from my Plugshare and Recargo Apps. That area looks like a "black hole" for charging stations. Just wonder because otherwise I'd be forced to take our ICE minivan. If it was just myself, I'd probably risk it but with a whole family on Christmas day, I can't risk getting stranded. :)

x10guy,
Google maps takes you through downtown LA it looks like, you could stop at the quicker charger (662 Mateo Street, Los Angeles, CA 90021. USA) for a 10-15 minutes, it will cost you a couple bucks though. Other option is to take your 120VAC charger and plug it in while you are visiting whomever if they will let you. Could get you that extra couple miles you need. I would feel confident if you charged to 100% and preconditioned, then plugged in a 120VAC for 2-3 hours that you should make it. Just take it a little slower and enjoy the ride.

But it would suck to strand the family :lol:
-Matt

Lopton said:
x10guy,
Google maps takes you through downtown LA it looks like, you could stop at the quicker charger (662 Mateo Street, Los Angeles, CA 90021. USA) for a 10-15 minutes, it will cost you a couple bucks though. Other option is to take your 120VAC charger and plug it in while you are visiting whomever if they will let you. Could get you that extra couple miles you need. I would feel confident if you charged to 100% and preconditioned, then plugged in a 120VAC for 2-3 hours that you should make it. Just take it a little slower and enjoy the ride.

But it would suck to strand the family :lol:
-Matt

Thanks for the advice but ended up taking the minivan. I did consider the QC in downtown but couldn't figure out if it was open on Christmas. Also a bit of a detour. The other problem driving on Christmas day is that all the Nissan dealerships are closed too.. Driving the Leaf is nice but there is a certain amount of comfort and security just piling the family into a gas car and not worrying about range issues :)

Agreed. I will also pass up using the Leaf if a trip that we are planning requires a charge stop where there are no alternatives and/or would take excessively long. With the exception of the L.A. Music Center, we are rarely at a place with charging long enough that L1 or L2 charging alone will do the trick... And the few QCs we have in L.A. are simply not plentiful or reliable enough to be solely depended on...

x10guy said:
Thanks for the advice but ended up taking the minivan. I did consider the QC in downtown but couldn't figure out if it was open on Christmas. Also a bit of a detour. The other problem driving on Christmas day is that all the Nissan dealerships are closed too.. Driving the Leaf is nice but there is a certain amount of comfort and security just piling the family into a gas car and not worrying about range issues :)

Back