My First Weekend as a LEAF and Volt owner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrink

I bought an orphan LEAF in 8/2011 and added a 2012 Volt to the garage this weekend. 

We love the LEAF. My girlfriend mostly drives it and it serves her well for a 20 mile RT work commute and HOV lane access in AZ. I mostly bike to work, but we found ourselves both trying to drive the LEAF more and more. I would want the LEAF for after work errands and to get to the gym on weeknights. We also used the LEAF for just about all our errands on weekends. We live in central Phoenix so even though the Phoenix area is large, being at the center (well, north central to be more specific) the whole valley is accessible. I'd estimate the LEAF was taking care of about 90% of our driving needs. 

But our other ICE car was showing its age.  My 2003 Acura RSX has over 200K on the odometer and we had sold a 2003 Honda Civic with only 70,000 miles - knowing the latter would have better resale value and because it simple wasn't getting used much anyway. 

We test drove a Lexus CT200h and Plug-In Prius. I was not impressed with the former. Luxury features were nice, but at only 40 mpg for a LEAF owner, that wasn't going to happen. The Prius was a disappointment. If you read the fine print, the electric range is only 6 miles. The advertised 11 miles is "combined gas electric." The price point with only a $2500 tax credit killed that option as well. 

Chevy was (and still is) offering 0% on the Volt. We researched, test drove, and I was very impressed. Needless to say, we bought one and this past weekend was our first with the car.  

Initial impressions are very positive. I really love the Volt so far. I personally like the more aggressive styling. The handling is very responsive and sporty. The sport mode is a blast. I love the leather interior, although I still appreciate the message of the recycled plastic in the LEAF. 

The EV range on the Volt is flat out impressive. Yesterday, on mostly highway driving and in the Phoenix 100 degree heat, we got 41 or 42 miles of EV range on a 62-mile RT commute. We have taken the same route in the LEAF 3-4 times previously. We made it at 100%, but one day at about a 90% charge and cold weather (yes, sometimes Phoenix is cold) we tried it and had to stop for a charge.  Although I was annoyed when the gas engine started on the way home in the Volt, I also starting having a little fun. The Volt is much sportier, so I kicked it up to about 85 mph (something I'd never do in the LEAF on that commute) and starting enjoying the tight handling when changing lanes. I have to admit, it was a blast!

A few other thoughts - the Carwings app is an embarrassment as compared to the Onstar app. The latter is much more refined and functional. It includes tire pressure, door lock/unlock, panic button, and you can even set or change the charge schedule. The angle of the back-up camera on the LEAF is better and the Volt has no predictive lines without the Nav system. 

The Volt range estimator is actually pretty accurate, especially as compared
to the GOM. That was nice to see. How Chevy got that right but not Nissan is baffling. 

It will be interesting to see how we use these cars. On Saturday this past weekend, we had about a 50 mile RT commute and decided to take the LEAF because we did not want to use gas. 

The shorter EV range of the Volt is frustrating and comforting all at once. Although you can't go as far as a LEAF in EV mode, you also can keep going when the battery uses its power, and you can also do some spirited driving. That's exactly the flexibility we were seeking. 

I'm looking forward to more experience with both cars. 

Regardless, I'm happy to have both and think they are an excellent combination!  

Oh final thought: I'm using the upgraded EVSE for L2 on the Volt and our existing Blink on the LEAF. I'm in the process of getting a 2nd free Blink for the Volt (and yes, I do qualify for a 2nd EVSE through the EV Project).

Very nice report.. I am convinced that Nissan uses the GOM as a psychological training device, they want to scare you from driving too fast or too far, and then calling for a Nissan tow truck. Either that or they are incompetent.

The do the same thing with the charge bars so there is a precedent for my suspicion.

I have tried to figure out a way for us to have a Leaf and a Volt.

My wife hogs the Leaf all of the time. She drives a Prius to work, but in the evenings and weekends she takes my Leaf.

However, she insists we have at least one car that is capable of long range.

I suggested the Volt a long time ago, but she refuses to have one because it only has 4 seats. This is illogical to me because we are a 3-person family and I'm pretty sure neither of our cars has ever had more than 4 people at once and even that is a rare thing indeed. I actually like rear bucket seats. They are more comfortable, in my opinion.

The other day I brought it up again and she said, "Fine.. Buy a volt, but YOU drive the Volt."

Well... Personally, I wouldn't mind driving a Volt. I prefer the Leaf, though. The real problem is that a Volt is a much better fit for my wife than for me. She drives 40 miles per day but often takes lots of side and unexpected trips. She hates driving conservatively. She also insists on using climate control 100% of the time. So many times we wind up taking her Prius for trips that we COULD use the Leaf for, but would require sacrifice of speed and/or climate control.

So the Volt would be perfect for her as it would give her EV commuting 99% of the time, yet have that comfort zone she's used to with regards to her aggressive driving and use of climate control.

I've been thinking about trying to get her to go test drive one. Maybe I could tell her I was looking to buy it for "me" and see if maybe she would actually like it.

Just buy a Volt, tell her it's for you, drive it during those times you would have used the Prius, she'll eventually see the light, barrow it a few times and eventually hand over the Leaf :~). If she doesn't ever come around, you will likely find the Volt to be pretty cool in it's own right. win/win

adric22 said:
I have tried to figure out a way for us to have a Leaf and a Volt.

My wife hogs the Leaf all of the time. She drives a Prius to work, but in the evenings and weekends she takes my Leaf.

However, she insists we have at least one car that is capable of long range.

I suggested the Volt a long time ago, but she refuses to have one because it only has 4 seats. This is illogical to me because we are a 3-person family and I'm pretty sure neither of our cars has ever had more than 4 people at once and even that is a rare thing indeed. I actually like rear bucket seats. They are more comfortable, in my opinion.

The other day I brought it up again and she said, "Fine.. Buy a volt, but YOU drive the Volt."

Well... Personally, I wouldn't mind driving a Volt. I prefer the Leaf, though. The real problem is that a Volt is a much better fit for my wife than for me. She drives 40 miles per day but often takes lots of side and unexpected trips. She hates driving conservatively. She also insists on using climate control 100% of the time. So many times we wind up taking her Prius for trips that we COULD use the Leaf for, but would require sacrifice of speed and/or climate control.

So the Volt would be perfect for her as it would give her EV commuting 99% of the time, yet have that comfort zone she's used to with regards to her aggressive driving and use of climate control.

I've been thinking about trying to get her to go test drive one. Maybe I could tell her I was looking to buy it for "me" and see if maybe she would actually like it.

I don't disagree. If Chevy made a Volt in the interior form factor of a compact CUV, it would be what we would buy when we replace our second car...

The PIP simply doesn't impress me in any meaningful way... And as the preceding images show, the instrumentation looks like it was designed on the cheap in someone's garage...

shrink said:
Chevy was (and still is) offering 0% on the Volt. We researched, test drove, and I was very impressed. Needless to say, we bought one and this past weekend was our first with the car.

glad everything is working out for you. you do know the rear camera angle is adjustable right? if you didnt like the angle of the view, it can be changed.

just a bit curious as to the details of the trip you made during colder weather that you had to stop and charge. keep in mind, the GOM does hide a bit of range from you. were you very short of your destination and how much of a charge did you pick up on the way?

There are many other things that are necessary to make a car impressive to me besides simply how far it can go on a gallon of gas or Kwh of electricity - or not. On those other things, the PIP fails in MY comparison to other vehicles... It is also a fail to me based on it's very limited electric-only range... That's just my option and, of course, YMMV.

Other considerations aside, our driving requirements, locations, and away from home charging options for our second vehicle are such that we would be spending the vast majority of our driving on gas... This greatly reduces the ROI of the PIP, regardless. For us, a standard hybrid would make more sense -- if anyone actually made a compact CUV hybrid...

mitch672 said:
TomT said:
The PIP simply doesn't impress me in any meaningful way... And as the preceding images show, the instrumentation looks like it was designed on the cheap in someone's garage.
Odd you don't think 406 miles on 2 gallons, with 61KWH of electricty is "not impressive", it's impressive to me, I have no range anxiety issues, more like, "gasoline" anxiety, 'oh no I used 2 whole gallons of gasoline to go the last 406 miles, how terrible' :). I'm so much happier I bought a PiP, rather than the Leaf I orphaned on 1/31/2012

mitch672 said:
With its "limited" electric range, I have managed %63 of ALL of my driving in the last 10 days on 61KWH of electricity, that's just horrible, why did I ever buy such a piss poor excuse for an electric car :)

It's a shame most EV owners are so myopic and so focused on using NO gasoline, when the reality of the situation is, there are going to be many more Plug in Vehicles (Chevy Volts and Plug in Prius's) on the road shorty, than true EV's, doing a lot to reduce gasoline usage, probably as much or more than all of the EV's on the road.

It's also a much easier "sell" to the general public, until much larger range EV's with quicker charging times and lower cost are available.
agree with you, but in my situation how much will be my EV% with 65 miles highway driving without recharging, just question?

DaveinOlyWA said:
glad everything is working out for you. you do know the rear camera angle is adjustable right? if you didnt like the angle of the view, it can be changed.

just a bit curious as to the details of the trip you made during colder weather that you had to stop and charge. keep in mind, the GOM does hide a bit of range from you. were you very short of your destination and how much of a charge did you pick up on the way?

I actually didn't know I could adjust the rear camera angle. Thanks.

You know, I did not remember the cold weather trip correctly and you jarred my memory. We stopped for dinner on the way back and I tried to trickle charge, but the outlet at the restaurant wasn't working. We ended up getting off the highway and taking surface streets the last 6-7 miles. My girlfriend was bugging me to plug in at a an L2 when we got off the highway, but we made it home with the low battery warning less than a mile from the house. We had turned off the heat, too, but we made it.

mitch672 said:
It's a shame most EV owners are so myopic and so focused on using NO gasoline, when the reality of the situation is, there are going to be many more Plug in Vehicles (Chevy Volts and Plug in Prius's) on the road shorty, than true EV's, doing a lot to reduce gasoline usage, probably as much or more than all of the EV's on the road.

It's also a much easier "sell" to the general public, until much larger range EV's with quicker charging times and lower cost are available.
I agree. Of course there's not a one-size-fits-all solution.

shrink said:
I bought an orphan LEAF in 8/2011 and added a 2012 Volt to the garage this weekend. 
<SNIP>

Initial impressions are very positive. I really love the Volt so far. I personally like the more aggressive styling. The handling is very responsive and sporty. The sport mode is a blast. I love the leather interior, although I still appreciate the message of the recycled plastic in the LEAF. 

The EV range on the Volt is flat out impressive. Yesterday, on mostly highway driving and in the Phoenix 100 degree heat, we got 41 or 42 miles of EV range on a 62-mile RT commute. We have taken the same route in the LEAF 3-4 times previously. We made it at 100%, but one day at about a 90% charge and cold weather (yes, sometimes Phoenix is cold) we tried it and had to stop for a charge.  Although I was annoyed when the gas engine started on the way home in the Volt, I also starting having a little fun. The Volt is much sportier, so I kicked it up to about 85 mph (something I'd never do in the LEAF on that commute) and starting enjoying the tight handling when changing lanes. I have to admit, it was a blast!
<SNIP>
I'm looking forward to more experience with both cars. 

Regardless, I'm happy to have both and think they are an excellent combination!  
<SNIP>
Thanks for taking the time of the review. I've owned my 2011 since Feb'11. Loved your comments above about the looks and performance of the Volt.

SPORT MODE with the remapping of the accelerator pedal (more direct / sensitive) is a lot of fun. I use when I have extra range (ie. spring, summer, fall). Under full acceleration both SPORT and NORMAL MODE go the same. Up to 100 MPH on BATTERY ONLY.

You can also try driving the Volt in L(ow) instead of D(rive) which has nothing to do with gearing but add more aggressive regen braking. This is great for one foot driving (ease up on the accel pedal and it will slow down nicely for traffic, off ramp, corner, etc, etc). I don't think I'll ever wear out my brakes.

The above you simply don't get with the PiP.

The Volt's ICE/GG does NOT turn on during hard acceleration or "62 MPG" either like the Ford CMAX energi, PiP, etc plug-ins.

My last 1,600 miles have used 1.1 gallons of gas. One day a month ago I went to a tournament far away.
My last 10 days have used 0.0 gallons of gas.
I drive 40+ miles a couple times a during week but straight to work and home is 22 miles RT.

shrink said:
The Prius was a disappointment. If you read the fine print, the electric range is only 6 miles.
I'm going to have to look around for that fine print. Held to the same standard, we'd have to tell people the Volt only goes 17 miles.

The Volt range estimator is actually pretty accurate, especially as compared to the GOM. That was nice to see. How Chevy got that right but not Nissan is baffling. 
I think the secret here is that it would be hard to do worse! I bet if we just counted the bars and multiplied by 6 we would outperform the GOM most of the time.

Shrink,
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised on some any 70-80 mile drive as well where you use a little gas. I've gotten over and below shows 49 MPG (just gas portion). Below is a spreadsheet reference for MPGe as well to calculate in both gas+electricity.

From 2 Saturday's ago.

2/3rds driving 65 MPH in cruise control mainly. 1/3rd driving 35-50 MPH. Temps in mid-60F.

68.4 TotMiles = 40.8 EV miles and 27.6 gas miles.

49.2 MPG gas = 27.6 gas miles using 0.56 gal of gas
120 MPGused = 68.4 TotMiles using 0.56 gal of gas
73 MPGe** = 68.4 TotMiles using 0.56 gal of gas and 12.9 kWh electricity

tourneyforstview.jpg

** MPGe calculated using spreadsheet via Progressive Automotive X PRIZE: Calculating MPGe

mitch672 said:
The PiP has 3 driving modes, ECO, Normal and PWR, all are about remapping the go pedal, and PWR mode uses the engine and battery together (sooner) for quick acceleration. It's nice to be getting 52-55MPG when the 11-15 mile EV range is depleted, something a Chevy Volt won't get, remember Toyota is undisputed king of the hybrid market, and the PiP is the cullmination of 15 years of that experience (1997 in Japan) but enough about these minor differences, both are using much less gasoline, which is the whole point of any of this.
Let's be fair, you're getting 52-55 by hypermiling. I know Prius owners, and we have Prius owners on this forum and the Volt forum. Driving at regular speeds (instead of being the guy doing 52 in a 70) will see your MPG drop into the mid 40's (which is where our Volt is BTW). You're right about this being about burning less gasoline, and I'm glad you're happy with your PiP.

Getting back OT, congrats again on the Volt shrink. Thanks for the great side-by-side comparison.

mitch672 said:
It's nice to be getting 52-55MPG when the 11-15 mile EV range is depleted, something a Chevy Volt won't get.

It says right on the sticker of the PIP that the all electric range is only 6 miles (under the 95 mpge and below Driving range)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/64/Toyota_Prius_Plug-in_EPA_label.png/640px-Toyota_Prius_Plug-in_EPA_label.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Volt gets 40+ miles real world EV range, something the PIP will never get.

For me, the Volt at $40K minus the $7500 tax credit vs.the PIP at $32K base or $40K premium with only a $2500 tax credit, the Volt was the better choice for me. It really is so much fun to drive and much sportier than I anticipated. However, if you didn't fit well in the Volt, than by all means, the PIP is a no brainer for you.

While I think a lot of us would like the LEAF range to be greater, in our real-life usage over the past 9 months we have found the LEAF very practical (we average 1000 miles/month on the LEAF) and take a lot of satisfaction driving without gas. I hardly think that's "shameful" or "myopic" to focus on avoiding using gas. I mean why are you bragging about 400 miles on 2 gallons? Regardless, it's good to have PHEV options until the infrastructure and technology are there, but the more people here stories about BEV's meeting most, if not all of a driver's needs, the better.

Back