My First Weekend as a LEAF and Volt owner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mitch672 said:
Let's see how your Volts hold up over time, the Prius has a proven track record, sorry you think your 38mpg Volt is better than a 52mpg Prius family (there are 4 different models now), the fact is the Prius is a magnifigant success and has gone mainstream, they are everywhere. The end result is the million plus Priu has saved more gasoline than all of the Volts have, and made a significant, meaningful reduction in gasoline consumption, you just don't care or realize it, your not really environmentalists, just technology geeks. The evolution of the Prius continuous, as larger capacity packs become more economical, lighter, and denser, a Prius EV becomes likely, but it won't happen until its cost effective and viable, Toyota will let others do the work, and jump in when they feel the technology is mature and cost effective, they are a conservative company.
cool

mitch672 said:
sorry you think your 38mpg Volt is better than a 52mpg Prius family

Sorry you think you 6 miles of EV range is better than 35 miles of EV range on a Volt. Have you actually read the sticker on the PiP? It says 6 miles of "all electric range" and 11 miles of "electricity + gasoline." So after 6 miles, while the battery still has a charge, the car is using gas to assist. $40K for 6 miles of pure EV range. What a bargain. Glad it works for you. Using your other fuzzy math, I have an even better idea. I'll sell you 1/4 of a house, for the price of the entire house, just so more people can have houses.

I'm really, really sorry your didn't think a LEAF was good enough for a 30-mile RT daily commute - and you're making all these arguments on a LEAF board, and have the arrogance to call others short-sighted.

It's like talking to a brick wall.

Well, thanks for hijacking my thread and I'm now going to ask you to stop. All you are really doing here is trolling. If you want to talk about your precious Prius, which most of us here happen to respect, go to the "Other Electric Cars and Hybrids Forum." This is the Main Owners forum and you don't even own a LEAF.

I figured my thread might be informative for other LEAF owners since I imagine most of us considered both the LEAF and Volt.

surfingslovak said:
I find Renault's approach in Europe to be interesting, and potentially more successful. Buy the car, rent the battery. The total monthly cost will still be lower than what you pay for gasoline today. This also neutralizes the fear of owning a battery, and the fear of degradation and upgrades along with it.

I heard about that model somewhere, too. It's very intriguing. Considering the simplicity of the LEAF, if we could replace the battery with a new and longer range pack in x number of years, the car would be on the road for a very, very long time. I also assume the old batteries would be recycled or repurposed. Sounds like a win-win.

The lower cost of home PV solar leases seems to have made home solar much more accessible. Perhaps a similar concept can apply to EV's.

Well, now that we are back on topic, here's a pic of my new happy garage:

IMG_1203.jpg

and I couldn't get back far enough, but in the top right on the roof, those are solar panels. I have some on the front part of the roof, too:

IMG_1207.jpg

I already have a Blink for the LEAF and I'm getting a second free Blink for the Volt soon through the EV Project. Site visit is tomorrow, but I already ran a dedicated 240V circuit to that side of the garage and am using the modified LEAF EVSE to get L2 on the Volt.

Let's see how your Volts hold up over time, the Prius has a proven track record, sorry you think your 38mpg Volt is better than a 52mpg Prius family (there are 4 different models now), the fact is the Prius is a magnifigant success and has gone mainstream, they are everywhere. The end result is the million plus Priu has saved more gasoline than all of the Volts have, and made a significant, meaningful reduction in gasoline consumption, you just don't care or realize it, your not really environmentalists, just technology geeks. The evolution of the Prius continuous, as larger capacity packs become more economical, lighter, and denser, a Prius EV becomes likely, but it won't happen until its cost effective and viable, Toyota will let others do the work, and jump in when they feel the technology is mature and cost effective, they are a conservative company.

The Prius has saved more gasoline only because it's been around longer. Apples to gym shoes.

Well now, the definition of an environmentalist is an ever changing thing depending on who's in your discussion circle, isn't it? Someone who completely changes their lifestyle and gives up their car, and perhaps walks or rides their bike no matter the weather would say that a Leaf, Volt or Prius driver is far from being an environmentalist. If you truly care...

This self righteous, pretentious attitude is just what has dogged Pruis drivers from the get go. I guess a stereotype isn't a stereotype if it's true. The reputation is well deserved.

Train said:
The Prius has saved more gasoline only because it's been around longer. Apples to gym shoes.

Well now, the definition of an environmentalist is an ever changing thing depending on who's in your discussion circle, isn't it? Someone who completely changes their lifestyle and gives up their car, and perhaps walks or rides their bike no matter the weather would say that a Leaf, Volt or Prius driver is far from being an environmentalist. If you truly care...

This self righteous, pretentious attitude is just what has dogged Pruis drivers from the get go. I guess a stereotype isn't a stereotype if it's true. The reputation is well deserved.

The Prius has been around longer, and will continue to be around, well after GM moves on from the Volt.

And you can bet they will, they have no loyalty or dedication to anything they manufacture, they have a long history of abandoning products, just ask any of the millions of pre-bankrupt GM product owners.

Call us anything you'd like, we are superior to you, and we know it :). BTW, I am done on this thread, please enjoy your Volt and Leaf. Back to your normal drivel now.

+10! I don't care for the particular body style and interior configuration, but I think it is a brilliant piece of engineering. Far more elegant than the PIP...

Herm said:
Mitch, you really need to control your hatred for the Volt, it does no one any good.

Train said:
Someone who completely changes their lifestyle and gives up their car, and perhaps walks or rides their bike

Train said:

He said he couldn't fit in a Volt. I'm not sure he can bike, or walk for that matter.

I still don't mind the Prius, but this particular owner's comments and attitudes are not only arrogant, but also ignorant and classeless. I almost feel sorry for someone so childish and concrete.

Mr. Pious can enjoy his 6 miles of EV range for $40,000.

Now getting back on topic for the hopefully the last time, if anyone is interested in LEAF vs. Volt comparisons, please ask. I've had the LEAF 9 months and the Volt one week. Still a lot to learn. One seeming early paradox is that the LEAF has us so used to driving gas free, we prefer it for longer drives so far, despite the extended range of the Volt. If we can get there without gas, that's the car we take and the LEAF has significantly better EV range. There are also a good number of charging stations in the Phoenix area and LEAF ownership has made us pretty good at route planning. On the flip side, the Volt is a lot more fun to drive. I just think this is a great pair to have in the garage.

shrink said:
IMG_1203.jpg

and I couldn't get back far enough, but in the top right on the roof, those are solar panels. I have some on the front part of the roof, too:

IMG_1207.jpg
It's like EV nirvana ;) I love it. I'm jealous, I can't wait for the 6.6 so we can make a Leaf our 2nd vehicle.

I am a LEAF and Prius owner, and love both cars. The Volt strikes me as an oddball. Its not quite a true electric car, and not quite a true hybrid either. I chose a LEAF so that I could know, at least on my end of the power supply chain, that my car was producing no CO2. I cannot control the electric company, but someday hope to have my own solar capability. If I intended to use the VOLT as an electric-only car, by watching the miles and charging carefully, then the onboard gas generator, and all the associated hardware would be a complete waste. A Volt as an electric-only vehicle is inferior to the LEAF in range, in fact very limited. The same is especially true for the new plug-in Prius. I think Toyota will eventually see the light and offer an electric-only Prius, it seems to be the direction of the evolution of that car. The same could be true for the Volt, although I think they are trying to fill in that niche that people have about range anxiety. Someday, of course, oil being a finite commodity, all vehicles will have to be alternative fuel/electric based. The Nissan LEAF just catapults over all the competition and goes right to that conclusion.

thermon said:
A Volt as an electric-only vehicle is inferior to the LEAF in range, in fact very limited. The same is especially true for the new plug-in Prius.

How many miles is your daily commute and your total yearly mileage?

What a coincidence, my husband brought home a Volt this weekend too!
He previously had a 2010 Prius, ordered the plug in Prius, but didn't like it on the test drive.

The Volt looks great! I like the sporty lines. I like it a lot more than the Prius, more visibility.
We think the range indicator is more accurate, is very comfortable, and more graphically pleasing displays.

We experienced the transition from battery to gas and didn't feel a thing. We expect to have another Blink charger soon!

His commute is right at 30 miles RT, and expects to be fully electric if he does run errands or go out to lunch.

I have over 8000 miles on my LEAF, and still love that car. But I might get some seat warmers for next winter or steal his Volt!

We are really glad that his car will be solar powered too!

KLQL8N said:
He previously had a 2010 Prius, ordered the plug in Prius, but didn't like it on the test drive.

The Volt looks great! I like the sporty lines. I like it a lot more than the Prius, more visibility.
We think the range indicator is more accurate, is very comfortable, and more graphically pleasing displays.

We experienced the transition from battery to gas and didn't feel a thing. We expect to have another Blink charger soon!

His commute is right at 30 miles RT, and expects to be fully electric if he does run errands or go out to lunch.

I have over 8000 miles on my LEAF, and still love that car. But I might get some seat warmers for next winter or steal his Volt!

You folks also have a really cool garage. I love the last sentence too, solar power would be icing on a very sweet cake. I can't wait till we get our 2nd EV, I'm tired of battling with my better half over who gets to drive the Volt :)

KLQL8N said:

You guys are in Phoenix, too? How funny. We, too, ordered a Plug-in Prius and then canceled the ordered, later bought the VOLT. LOL. My girlfriend is driving the LEAF more and I have found myself enjoying the Volt, although I did take the LEAF on Sunday. Solar panels at your home as well? I guess they nailed our demographic. LOL. Enjoy the cars!

Back