NASHVILLE TENNESSEE - LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What apps do you use for your Leaf? Do any of you use Recargo, PlugShare or EVCharger? Are there any other apps out there relating to the Leaf I should check out?
Thanks,
jill

Eleafgrrl said:
What apps do you use for your Leaf? Do any of you use Recargo, PlugShare or EVCharger? Are there any other apps out there relating to the Leaf I should check out?
Thanks,
jill

I use plugshare and chargepoint smart phone apps.

Plugshare has the most potential IMHO, it intends to mark all chargers regardless of who made them or owns them. It relies on crowd-source data, so its up to us to keep it up to date. I added the chargers at the Smyrna plant to plugshare this past weekend.

Don't forget to install Nissan's official LEAF application to communicate/control your vehicle remotely.

I have also found the following mapping site handy to estimate range. http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-can-i-travel.htm Drawing a circle on a map is about worthless, since even LEAF's can't fly like crows. The site draws a polygon based on actual road travel distances.

Enjoy your car when it finally comes!!

Eleafgrrl said:
Thanks,
jill

The 4 I have installed on my phone are Recargo, Plugshare, ChargePoint, and EVCharger (EV charger finder). Up until Plugshare's last update, I felt like Recargo was better (since you could check in, report problems, etc), but now Plugshare has a review system, so I think those two are up to par. EVCharger is pretty bad, and I haven't used ChargePoint more than once.

I haven't found anything else, but I feel like Plugshare or Recargo have the most potential. As JP pointed out, its user-controlled data, so we just have to keep the database updated.

So this is something I've been getting asked quite a bit, and I figured I would ask you all the same question.

Why did you decide to buy a Nissan LEAF?

I know there are plenty of reasons, but there is usually something that was the tipping point. What was yours?

For me, it wasn't about it being a cool new technology, it wasn't the zero-tailpipe emission, it wasn't the cool sporty look ( :lol: /sarcasm off). Ultimately the reason I bought a Nissan LEAF was because of the huge potential savings of operational costs (gas and maintenance). All of the other things were just big pluses.

What about you all?

TNleaf said:
Ultimately the reason I bought a Nissan LEAF was because of the huge potential savings of operational costs (gas and maintenance). All of the other things were just big pluses.

+1.
I needed a new car, and with the subsidies to bring down the price, buying a LEAF is an absolute financial winner.
Reducing oil use is also the patriotic right thing to do for the US, but on a personal decision basis it was the cost of operation. About 20% of what it costs me to drive my 2009 Altima SL.

TNleaf said:
So this is something I've been getting asked quite a bit, and I figured I would ask you all the same question.

I know there are plenty of reasons, but there is usually something that was the tipping point. What was yours?

For me, it wasn't about it being a cool new technology, it wasn't the zero-tailpipe emission, it wasn't the cool sporty look ( :lol: /sarcasm off). Ultimately the reason I bought a Nissan LEAF was because of the huge potential savings of operational costs (gas and maintenance). All of the other things were just big pluses.

What about you all?
according to http://www.earthtechling.com/2011/08/leaf-rebate-for-fast-charging-tennesseans/ TN rebate and free chargers are additional motivation to go with this very innovative technology

JPWhite said:
Eleafgrrl said:
Thanks,
jill

I use plugshare and chargepoint smart phone apps.

Plugshare has the most potential IMHO, it intends to mark all chargers regardless of who made them or owns them. It relies on crowd-source data, so its up to us to keep it up to date. I added the chargers at the Smyrna plant to plugshare this past weekend.

Don't forget to install Nissan's official LEAF application to communicate/control your vehicle remotely.

I have also found the following mapping site handy to estimate range. http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-can-i-travel.htm Drawing a circle on a map is about worthless, since even LEAF's can't fly like crows. The site draws a polygon based on actual road travel distances.

Enjoy your car when it finally comes!!

Cool, thanks, I will check above apps out. MY CAR IS IN!!!! They called from the dealer as it was being unloaded off the truck. Will wait until Saturday to go with my hubs so we can learn together...it's killin' me!!! I WANT IT NOW!!!

TNleaf said:

What about you all?

For me the motivation is to have independence from oil to power my ride. The wild swings is gas prices is just the beginning IMHO. Having both gas and electric cars means I have dual fuels for getting around. If gas shortages occur, we both go to work in the LEAF. If electric runs out at the house we both go to work in the Altima.

I too looked at the costs and concluded the LEAF with govt subsidies was slightly cheaper over 100,000 miles.

To achieve greater independence, I'm considering solar so that I don't depend on NES for my LEAF's 'e-fuel'.

Eleafgrrl said:
Cool, thanks, I will check above apps out. MY CAR IS IN!!!! They called from the dealer as it was being unloaded off the truck. Will wait until Saturday to go with my hubs so we can learn together...it's killin' me!!! I WANT IT NOW!!!

That's too funny!!

When I got the call (co-coincidentally on a Wednesday) I was on a business trip to New England, and had to wait to Saturday as well. I feel your pain :)

TNleaf said:

What about you all?
Why did I buy a Leaf? At first, it was just the intrigue of something that would break the petroleum habit, I have been kicking myself that I didn't put the $99 deposit down at the first opportunity a couple years(?) back. My "tipping point" came this past spring when gas was crazy expensive and I added up receipts for gas for 17 days and it was $400++, I snapped! Then I went to Nissan headquarters for the test drive event a few weeks later and that sold me right then and there. As soon as reservations opened up again, I put my $99 down. Since then, we have bought a smaller truck with a smaller gas tank (no more 38 gallon tank-ugh) and sold the car that took premium fuel. We need a truck for hauling stuff so we have to keep that. The Leaf is perfect for errands/work (hubs work is 21 miles each way and he doesn't take any freeways-perfect!) I work from home so I drive very rarely, maybe two times per week. Not really worried about Range Anxiety or mileage limit on lease. I cannot wait to pick my Leaf up on Saturday!!!

Eleafgrrl said:
MY CAR IS IN!!!! They called from the dealer as it was being unloaded off the truck. Will wait until Saturday to go with my hubs so we can learn together...it's killin' me!!! I WANT IT NOW!!!

Hey Jill,

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm happy for you as I hang out here in "Pending" land. :) Enjoy it!

Cheers, Bert

Eleafgrrl said:

Awesome! That's great news... That the car is in, not that you have to wait!

Hey guys,
Thought i'd let you know that Newton Nissan is having free helicopter rides again this Monday (Labor Day) from 12-5pm. Kids are welcome to come. The pilot said that children have to be able to sit up by themselves in their own seat, buckled by a seatbelt.

Insider note: If you plan on coming, I would suggest that you arrive early... there was a huge line at the last event, and not enough time to get to everyone.

Here's a link to the map if you need directions. If there happens to be any crazy weather, we'll post changes/updates on facebook.

This opinion piece appeared today on our local Chattanooga news website, http://www.chattanoogan.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See how may inaccuracies and myths you can find.

My reply to the article comes at the end.

Steve Schmidt

Opinion
September 1, 2011

Roy Exum: Cars With Extension Cords
by Roy Exum
posted September 1, 2011

When the all-electric Nissan Leaf, the Mitsubishi i, and extended-range Chevrolet Volt were introduced to the world as the new alternative to fossil fuels, I’ll admit I was a skeptic. I think it’s way too early to rush out and install charging stations all over town and I’d sure hate to push one of those suckers two blocks in the rain.

But yesterday came word that an all-electric racing car just whizzed around the famed Nurburgring race track in Germany and, with a top speed of 162 mph, the Toyota prototype covered the 13-mile road course in an amazing 7 minutes and 48 seconds. That’s pretty flashy.

What you need to know is the reason for the demonstration. Next month the big Frankfurt Auto Show will lean heavily towards alternative-fuel vehicles. BMW and VW, for instance, will have all-electric models to reveal, but until the world’s automakers can come up with some electric models that can compete with cars like the new VW Passat that is made in Chattanooga, I think the whole electric push is a big ado over nothing.

A Chattanooga made base model Passat, we are told, will sell for around $20,000 but the Leaf is priced at $32,780, while the Volt is listed at $39,145. The biggest reason is the battery alone costs nearly $10,000. Add the fact that the Leaf can reportedly go only 138-to-162 miles before needing to be charged - the convenience factor becomes so huge that buyers are really balking at the steep sticker price.

Since the Nissan Leaf has been introduced, about 10,000 have been sold, most of them in Japan. The 4,000 sold in America have been built at the Smyrna, Tn., plant, but public reaction has been chilly. Nissan-Renault has reportedly committed $6 billion to the electric-car endeavor but right now the perception isn’t exactly electrifying.

The obvious answer right now is the hybrid cars, like the Toyota Prius, which gets 50 miles per gallon and is in high demand (a base model is about $22,000). But did you know that in China, where Beijing officials hoped to have 1 million electric cars by the year 2015, the lack-of-range and high costs have caused electric-car sales to be flatter than the China Sea. Even better is the fact that one – just one – Prius was sold in China last year.

In Germany, the home of Volkswagen, an interesting study was just done by the Gartner Group that reveals only 16 percent of Germans would consider buying an all-electric car, compared with 52 percent who want gasoline power, 43 percent hybrids, 37 percent diesel and 25 percent natural gas. Germans make up for 25 percent of the cars bought in Europe.

So the word is that German engineers are focusing their talents on better gasoline and diesel engines that are highly fuel efficient – some offering 60 miles per gallon - because people the whole world over are skeptical of having a couple over to the house for dinner and, perhaps while they visit, might want to plug into your front-porch outlet.

Last week Toyota and Ford announced a huge joint venture to build hybrid trucks. Toyota has been in the hybrid business for years with both the Toyota and Lexus brands, but the arrangement with Ford is best explained because the Japanese manufacturer owns virtually all the patients for hybrid vehicles.

Ford, with its best-selling F-150 pickup truck, can make a bundle with a hybrid truck, but, again, with technology moving so quickly on gasoline and diesel engines, it is almost frivolous to pay the extra amount for the hybrid models. I’m driving a Toyota Camry and, with mountain driving, air conditioning and my heavy foot, the car still gets a consistent 30 miles per gallon.

No, that’s not that big in the great scheme but a base 4-cylinder Camry sells for about $23,000 and its hybrid counterpart lists for almost $29,000. I’d rather save the $6,000 than get 41 miles per gallon in the hybrid. Then again, I am one of those people who feel the simpler an automobile is the better and if you’ll simply change the oil every 5,000 miles, a Toyota engine will last for years.

Nissan officials claim that if a Leaf driver goes 15,000 miles a year, his electric bill will go up about $350 dollars. But at $3.50 a gallon for gas, that driver will save about $2,000 in fuel costs compared to a similar sized car. The net savings would be $1,750.

So here’s the bottom line: if the Leaf costs $32,700 and my Camry costs $23,000, it will be awhile before the Leaf driver makes up the $10,000 difference and, remember, the Camry doesn’t come with an extension cord.

My reply:

Hey Roy:

I just saw your article in Chattanoogan.com about "Cars With Extension Cords," and thought I'd reply directly to you, rather than put a reply in the "Opinions" section.

First off, I am the proud leaser of shiny, red, all-electric Nissan LEAF. I've put 1,560 trouble-free miles on it since May 15. Not once have I been stranded by the side of the Interstate waiting for a tow to the nearest charger. I'm 64 years-old, and can honestly say that the LEAF is the most comfortable (seriously), quietest, most responsive, and all-out fun to drive car I have ever had!

Lots of websites for you to view, if you so choose, coming up.

Actually, the price for Tennessee residents is closer to $22,780 with the $7,500 Federal Tax incentive, and the $2,500 State of Tennessee rebate. Also under "The EV Project" a $2,000 charger is included in the program:

http://www.earthtechling.com/2011/08/leaf-rebate-for-fast-charging-tennesseans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The EV Project:

http://www.theevproject.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, you have some mis-information about the 4,000 sold in the USA. They were all built in Japan. The Smyrna, TN LEAF plant won't be in operation until next year:

http://www.cleanfleetreport.com/electric-vehicles/batteries/nissan-leaf-availability/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The recently announced Decherd, TN Electric Motor Plant won't be ready until 2013:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/nissan-leaf-electric-motors-to-be-manufactured-at-decherd-plant-in-tennessee-37339.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The public reaction being "chilly" just is not true. Only 4,000 LEAFs have been made available from the Nissan Japanese plant to the USA. Over 20,000 reservations have been placed. The problem is not lack of interest, but availability. You've been reading too many "Big Oil" press releases---LOL.

As far as sales in China, the government has reportedly eliminated all incentives for manufacturers and buyers of hybrid and electric vehicles. And if they are not made in China, the import tariffs are enormous.

It's true that in Germany, VW has not been behind EV's or even hybrids.

As far as hybrid sales in the past, almost every manufacturer offered hybrid versions of everything from a Chevy Tahoe to a Saturn Vue, to a Mercury Milan, BUT in the past, the extra $3,000 to $4,000 only got you 3 or 4 miles more per gallon average. The Toyota Prius, was designed from the ground up as a hybrid, so offered a lot of advantages to getting great gas mileage.

My EPB electric rate at 10 cents per KWH means I get about 100 miles of driving pleasure at about $3.00 or about 3 cents per mile. Plus, I have the extreme satisfaction of not seeing my hard-earned American Dollars go overseas to people that hate us--but that's a different topic.

As far as the "extension cord," we currently have chargers at the Choo Choo CARTA parking garage, and the downtown Doubletree Hotel, and both Nissan dealers. Soon to be chargers at Ruby Falls, Rock City and The Incline, and at various Cracker Barrel restaurants on the Interstates in Tennessee, all courtesy of President Obama's Stimulus funds:

http://translogic.aolautos.com/2010/12/16/cracker-barrel-restaurants-installing-ev-chargers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want to know anything else, just let me know.Or better yet, I'd love for you to drive my LEAF sometime. I'll even come pick you up!

Steve, what a great response. Well worded and tasteful. You should have posted it on the opinions column ;)

Metro Nashville LEAF owners, here is an update on Nissan HQ progress of the Solar assisted chargers in Franklin, TN. They are setting the Chargers up today (not BLINK), the commissioning process should be next week - maybe Tuesday.

This would be a great time to drop by if you need some juice... :)

Ralph

[If you want to know anythiAs far as the "extension cord," we currently have chargers at the Choo Choo CARTA parking garage, and the downtown Doubletree Hotel, and both Nissan dealers. Soon to be chargers at Ruby Falls, Rock City and The Incline, and at various Cracker Barrel restaurants on the Interstates in Tennessee, all courtesy of President Obama's Stimulus funds:

http://translogicng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; else, just let me know.Or better yet, I'd love for you to drive my LEAF sometime. I'll even come pick you up![/quote]

Good response !
It would be better if you posted it in the opinion section to open many more "Roy Exum's mind".

Lookoutleaf
Silver SL-Etec
Reserved 04/20/2010
Ordered 10/27/2010
Delivered 08/12/2011

LookoutLeaf said:
[If you want to know anythiAs far as the "extension cord," we currently have chargers at the Choo Choo CARTA parking garage, and the downtown Doubletree Hotel, and both Nissan dealers. Soon to be chargers at Ruby Falls, Rock City and The Incline, and at various Cracker Barrel restaurants on the Interstates in Tennessee, all courtesy of President Obama's Stimulus funds:

http://translogicng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; else, just let me know.Or better yet, I'd love for you to drive my LEAF sometime. I'll even come pick you up!

Good response !
It would be better if you posted it in the opinion section to open many more "Roy Exum's mind".

Lookoutleaf
Silver SL-Etec
Reserved 04/20/2010
Ordered 10/27/2010
Delivered 08/12/2011[/quote]

Rock City - according to a picture and a post by Ecotality there are already 2 BLINK pedestal Chargers installed.

The Cracker Barrels are unfortunately on "hot" air, I have inquired several times with CB Customer Care, and since more then a month now, still they are not given any details, of plans or progress on the CB project along the interstates in the "Bermuda Triangle"...

Ralph

Yeah I figured that was the case with CB... I checked with them a few times too.

ps: due to the weather today, the helicopter rides at NN have been cancelled. I'll keep you in the loop when the date gets re-scheduled.

Back