Need new wiper blades

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the dealers have them then it would be nice to get from dealer just because they won't be making any service profit on you. I'll have to check this out in a bit. Definitely not happy with the rear wiper right now.

mwalsh said:
Stanton said:
I bought a couple for my kid's car via this same sale: great wipers (bought some of their sub-zero washer fluid as well).

Do you happen to remember where it was? It has to be like Kmart or Target, from what I remember seeing come with the paper on Sunday.

In fact, now I'm really thinking about it, it might have been buy 2 and get like at $10 Target Gift Card. :?:

The sale I took advantage of was at AutoZone. I see a lot of discussions about swapping out the rubber only. If you can find them, then I guess that's an option, but the metal/plastic wears over time and looks bad; replacing the whole arm is a simple operation (once you figure out how to release the pin).

Stanton said:
The sale I took advantage of was at AutoZone. I see a lot of discussions about swapping out the rubber only. If you can find them, then I guess that's an option, but the metal/plastic wears over time and looks bad; replacing the whole arm is a simple operation (once you figure out how to release the pin).
Some armor-all will bring that plastic back to life.

Stanton said:

I'll take a look. I did find the ad I was thinking of, and it was Target. But the deal wasn't as good as I remembered - buy two at $16 each and get a $5 gift card.

Does anyone have any experience with the 303 wipes product?

http://303products.com/index.php/windshield-care/303r-windshield-wiper-treatment.html

They claim that the wipes add a conditioner to the rubber to make them last longer.

303 Wiper Treatment reconditions hardened rubber windshield wiper blades. 303 Wiper Treatment Stops annoying chattering, skipping and streaking quickly and effectively. By reconditioning hardening rubber blades, 303 Wiper Treatment restores lost flexibility and performance. Your wiper blades will perform better and keep your vision clearer. 303 Wiper Treatment keeps you wiper blades working like new! If you live in colder climates, 303 Wiper Treatment helps prevent snow and ice form sticking to treated blades so they work when you need them!

Each 303 Wiper Treatment packet contains a sponge applicator. Wipe on, wait a minute and wipe dry. Nothing could be easier. Each packet will treat 2-3 wiper blades. Reapply as necessary, usually every 3-5 weeks.

I replaced my wiper blades after the first 3 months or so because I thought they were streaking and figured the first summer did them in. The only replacements I found were Trico brand from Advance Auto (if I remember right). I got one of the premium types, either Flex series, which I have noted as 18-260 and 18-160, or Neoform 16- series. Problem was they streaked just as badly, so after a few days I returned them and got the next expensive ones of those two series (from Flex--> Neoform or vice versa, can't recall exactly). Fortunately there was a sale, so it didn't cost any more, and AA was good about making the swap. But the blades still streaked! The friendly guy there said that there may be a tension problem addressed in a Nissan TSB. I looked for any such feedback here, not finding anything, and just didn't get around to starting a post about it.

Over one year later they look about the same. Maybe a little streaky, but either they've settled in or I've just gotten used to it. For some reason these haven't gotten worse over time, though. I guess my stock ones were not really worn out. Don't understand the streaks, though.

BTW, replacement is easy. I like the idea of replacing just rubber, like you can on BMWs, even though it's a little bit of a chore. But I didn't see that option. I don't shop at Sprawl-Mart, but I do at Target (gotta pick your poisons), but Targets in these parts carry almost no auto supplies anymore. Nor could I find any alternatives to Trico (Bosch and RainX either not stocked or not listed here).

I believe the Nissan part # for the front wiper refills are:

B8891-50185
B8891-50186

EDIT: I no longer believe this is the correct part number!

Don't these OEM parts from a dealer (maybe the only source) cost as much as the fancy constant tension aftermarket ones bought anywhere else? I probably paid $40-45.

aleph5 said:
Don't these OEM parts from a dealer (maybe the only source) cost as much as the fancy constant tension aftermarket ones bought anywhere else? I probably paid $40-45.

I used to buy refills for my Miata at the dealership, and they were surprisingly affordable.

FYI my local Nissan dealer parts dept says that the rear wiper blade is special order at $18.43, and there is no cheaper refill portion. Goodyear, Bosch, and Rain-X do not list a compatible part. Time to get one on order as my original is streaking at 18 months old.

aleph5 said:
FYI my local Nissan dealer parts dept says that the rear wiper blade is special order at $18.43...
That's not much cheaper than the fancy "beam" types from Trico.
That was for the rear window wiper, which Trico along with the other manufacturers does not list. It seems to be a dealer-only item.

I had a chance to look at my wiperblades properly today. They are a traditional type, just with a fancy aerodynamic blade is all. So bradbissels suggestion of just buying rubbers at the dealer is definitely an option.

My bad, DeaneG. I meant to ask if anyone had found a rear blade. Then I misread your advice to reading my mind! :oops:

Thanks for the good info.

Nissan does not offer just rubber refills. You have to by the whole unit. Honda and Subaru do offer just the rubber refills.

The do have them... They just did not tell me they did... keep reading next posts

camasleaf said:
For the front, I used the GoodYear ones, sold at Costco. Will my range go down because of their shape :eek: ?
IIRC the Costco blades are lower profile than the stock blades, no worries.

Just to follow up on my own post. I went down to the Nissan dealer. They tried to sell me some aftermarket jobs, but I decided to get the factory wipers. Unfortunately they had to order them. The cost was $25 for the big one and $15 for the small one. I didn't bother with the rear wiper as I rarely use it.

Back