Need new wiper blades

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thankyouOB said:
asinclair said:
My dealer, North Bay Nissan in Petaluma put new refill blades on at my 30,000 mile check-up last month. Only charged me $10.31 each refill installed. Part numbers from my invoice: 28895-1AA0A and 28895-1AA1A.

$6.14 each from Nissan Parts Zone.com: http://www.nissanpartszone.com/parts/nissan-refill-wiper-bl~28895-1aa1a.html

what is a refill?
is it the entire snap out unit or just the rubber wiper and its rubber blade?
It is just the rubber blade.

Trico exact fits do not work .. there is no offset like the oem and the driver side hits the passenger side when parked

I am sticking with OEM

69800 said:
Trico exact fits do not work .. there is no offset like the oem and the driver side hits the passenger side when parked

I am sticking with OEM
This is the same conclusion I came to as well, however I found that the Trico Flex ones fit the same as OEM and keep the original offset. The 26" one (Amazon.com link) for the driver side and the 16" one (Amazon.com link) for the passenger side.

Lest I give the wrong impression with my "A vs. B" rant, after a few rainy and misty days the Bosch Icon blades are very nice. Crystal clear wipes regardless of speed or how much or how little rain has spotted the windshield, and their silent operation compliments the LEAF. They claim 40% longer life. Sizes 26A and 16A.

asinclair said:
My dealer, North Bay Nissan in Petaluma put new refill blades on at my 30,000 mile check-up last month. Only charged me $10.31 each refill installed. Part numbers from my invoice: 28895-1AA0A and 28895-1AA1A.

$6.14 each from Nissan Parts Zone.com: http://www.nissanpartszone.com/parts/nissan-refill-wiper-bl~28895-1aa1a.html

Wish I had seen this a few weeks ago. I ordered a set of three OEM blades from the dealer for the amazingly low price of $94.79, which would have really pi$$ed me off if it hadn't been covered by my "rewards points" that I don't foresee needing for anything else. At least it only took three trips to the dealer for them to get the order right. The guy at the parts counter was about as useless as a cat flap on an elephant house.

So did those work out to be the correct refills for the Leaf blades? I studied them and saw that the "latching point" was about 1/4 of the way along the blade where it hinges. Looks pretty nonstandard to say the least. Also the refills are greyish in color instead of black, not that that matters.

Well I'm just back from the dealer where I picked up wiper blades for $14.99 each. These are the "beam type" blades not unlike the Goodyear blades at Costco. They are of course different in appearance from the originals and don't have the "offset" that's been mentioned. However they seem to fit just fine and line up fairly closely.

The rear blade appears to be a special order item only.

I use Valeo blades from Tire Rack. Fit perfectly, cost about $35 for the pair with shipping

Valeo 900-26-1B for the drivers side
Valeo 900-16-1B for the passenger side

Ordered them yesterday afternoon, got them today at 1pm

DarkStar said:
69800 said:

I am sticking with OEM
This is the same conclusion I came to as well, however I found that the Trico Flex ones fit the same as OEM and keep the original offset. The 26" one (Amazon.com link) for the driver side and the 16" one (Amazon.com link) for the passenger side.

Let us know how they work.

I'm still not understanding why the offset is presenting a problem for some folks. I replaced mine with the Bosch, which mount to the blade center (no offset), and this caused no interference problem. Both passenger and driver's side lose the same amount of offset so I'm not understanding how this causes any interference? The blades simply ride a bit lower on the windshield but they're still completely on the glass. They don't touch each other.

Is it possible someone replaced , say, the driver's blade first and then decided there was an interference problem? I could see that happening since the passenger-side blade would still be offset. But if you replace both blades I don't see how there could be a problem. :?:

69800 said:
I've been running the new ones since I got them in October without any issues.
Nubo said:
I'm still not understanding why the offset is presenting a problem for some folks. I replaced mine with the Bosch, which mount to the blade center (no offset), and this caused no interference problem. Both passenger and driver's side lose the same amount of offset so I'm not understanding how this causes any interference? The blades simply ride a bit lower on the windshield but they're still completely on the glass. They don't touch each other.
The interference isn't with each blade, but with the plastic on the car. Looking at the passenger blade from the front of the car, there is a notch on the left side where the blade rests in. Either your new blade is able to slip underneath that notch, or the blade is shorter and able to clear it.

I decided that I wanted maximum blade coverage without any interference with the plastic, so I went with the offset type blades. I didn't try using a straight type, but I'm curious how your fit is?

The Valeo blades I use do not have an offset mounting point, but yet fit perfectly and have no interference at all.

Valeo 900-26-1B for the drivers side
Valeo 900-16-1B for the passenger side

DarkStar said:
Nubo said:
The interference isn't with each blade, but with the plastic on the car. Looking at the passenger blade from the front of the car, there is a notch on the left side where the blade rests in. Either your new blade is able to slip underneath that notch, or the blade is shorter and able to clear it.

I decided that I wanted maximum blade coverage without any interference with the plastic, so I went with the offset type blades. I didn't try using a straight type, but I'm curious how your fit is?

There's still about 3/8 inch clearance between the blade and the "stop" created by that notch in the trim.

I have a $9 solution for the rear blade! Noone has a replacement rear blade but I figured out how to replace the rubber insert off a TRICO Exact Fit. The O'Reilly Auto Parts guy was very helpful - he showed me how to remove the blade. You have to twist it about 90 degrees (rotate end closest to arm center towards window) to release some pins that lock it into place, then you remove the wiper by sliding a center spindle out of its slot. This is similar to ones at the store but not quite. However, I was able to buy a TRICO Exact Fit 10" rear blade for $8.50 and then remove the rubber insert from it and use it. You need to pull one end of the rubber blade insert away (perpendicular to the blade) from the wiper to avoid the end caps, then slide it the length of the insert. The TRICO exact fit insert is removed the same way. Then carefully slide the TRICO insert into the original OEM wiper. You don't need to transfer the metal stiffeners - the TRICO ones work fine. It's not 100% identical, and it's a tight fit - it will frequently jam up if you don't do it slowly. But after a few seconds of gently coaxing it, the fit looks good. It may not be quite as perfect as OEM blade replacement, but a lot cheaper and you can get these at any auto parts store.

I also tried calling my Nissan dealer about the 28895-1AA0A and 28895-1AA1A inserts but they don't carry them in stock and cost $13 each, which I think is about the same as new wiper arms.

I also noticed my Toyota Prius has the same length inserts so I tried buying a set of those but the problem is that they are just ever so slightly different such that the wipers leave streaks where the arms grip the inserts, so that's no good. As someone else mentioned, they also have "stops" at about 1/4 the length of the blade whereas Honda and Toyota have "stops" at the end, although that wasn't a deal breaker - it still fit.

My plan is to go with Costco RainX replacement blades for the front, or my O'Reilly has Bosch Icons on sale for $10 off.

http://www.rockauto.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These guys have a closeout on Trico blades. The Neoforms are only $3.19 each. I bought 3 pairs and with about $10 shipping, came out to less than $30. I am reposting this from slickdeals.net.

Enter car information, then scroll to the Neoforms and make sure to use the closeout price (private label).

Hope these work well. Had them on other cars and they are very durable.

69800 said:
DarkStar said:
69800 said:

I am sticking with OEM

I bought these Trico Flex blades off Amazon and they fit fine and are easy to change out, but the 26" driver's side one doesn't work for squat! There is too much arch molded into the blade holder and the wiper does not sit flush on the glass all along its length, resulting in wide swaths of the windshield not being wiped at all. :evil:

TT

DarkStar said:
Interesting, mine sit flush without any issues.
The spring tension on the Leaf's wiper arm is not sufficient to press the blade flush with the surface everywhere on my car. If I apply some finger pressure, they will. I am hoping that a little heat from the sun will "relax" the arc of the plastic blade holder a bit over time so they will lay flat. The OEM blade holders are articulated or "hinged" at two points along their length to allow them to conform to the shape of the windshield. The replacement Trico blade holders do not have these "hinges" and are too stiffly curved at the moment to lay flat. The problem areas are halfway between the mid-point of the blade and the tips, which is exactly where the "hinges" are located on the OEM blades, allowing it to conform better.

TT

For my 2012 LEAF, I just purchased and installed Trico Force wipers. They were on sale.
Old wipers off, new wipers on. Took longer to open the packages than to swap the wipers.

The OEM wipers were streaking and had gaps on the driver side where there was not 100% contact with the glass. Performed like that since day one. And this slowly became VERY annoying and unacceptable to me. The Trico units perform so much more noticeably better.

I am a big fan of the Bosch brand, which I use exclusively on my other vehicle, however these Trico Force units were almost identical to the LEAF OEM and the Trico units provided a seamless drop in for appearance sake.

asinclair said:

Thanks for that link! Although the shipping was nearly as expensive as the $12.28 for the two blades, I used your referenced part numbers and got these refill blades from Nissan Parts Zone in 3 days, pulled the old ones out of the original holders, slipped the new ones in, took the replacement Trico Flex wiper assembly I had bought off the car and replaced them with the original (refurbished) wipers, and all is well now, except for the $32 detour I took buying the Trico blades off Amazon. Wish I had seen your post first, but the word here was that there were no refill blades available when I bought mine. Now I have a spare set of Tricos that works halfway well and may be useful in an emergency sometime (probably never :( ). Maybe the Trico Force wipers are better than the Flex model, but I bet they aren't cheaper than just refilling the rubber blade on the OEM wiper (with a quick search it looks like they are $43 on Amazon for both sides).

If you have a dealer as nice as North Bay Nissan who will install the refills for $10.31 each, that's the way to go IMHO--it's less than paying $23 for the refill blades online after shipping and you don't have to install them yourself. They can probably be installed without even taking the wiper blade assembly off the arm by just pulling them up, tilting them, removing the old blades and sliding the new refills in, although mine were already off the car.

TT

Latest posts

Back