New guy, considering a used Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leafforme said:
LeftieBiker said:
leafforme said:
yes i had understood that the ads can be misleading. so the quick charge the ad refers to is the L3 we would find commercially, not related to the home EVSE. And it is not otherwise known whether a specific 2013 S would have only the L1 or also the L2 port without asking.

And 2013+ SV and SL all have L2?

is that right?

All Leafs have L-1/L-2 ports. It's the second QC port that isn't found in all cars. If a Leaf S has QC then it also has the faster 6.6kw onboard charger. If a Leaf is pre-2013, or is an S without QC, then it has the slower 3.3kw onboard charger. QC, aka L-3, needs a big, expensive commercial charging station, although there is now a smaller Chinese unit on the market that can supposedly be installed at home, with major wiring upgrades...
to make sure I understand, you are saying that if any S has the QC, it Will have The L2 6.6kw onboard charger regardless of the model year? or is it possible i could end up with a 2013 S with quick charge but only L1?
No, if the S has a QC port it also has the upgraded L2 charger.

leafforme said:
Now is this related to the model year battery chemical degradation issue? Or is it completely separate? In other words, Even if I can find a 2013 S with QC and L2, am I at risk of a degraded battery if manufactured before June 2013?
Any Leaf battery prior to 4/13' seems to degrade faster than after 4/13.
Note with a SV(at least the older ones) QC was a added feature that came with the LED headlights, all SVs will have the upgraded 6.6kw build in charger but with any Leaf to get L2 charging you need to purchase a L2 EVSE, the factory EVSE is only L1 or 120v @ 12a.

to make sure I understand, you are saying that if any S has the QC, it Will have The L2 6.6kw onboard charger regardless of the model year? or is it possible i could end up with a 2013 S with quick charge but only L1?

L-1 and L-2 use the same charging port. All that differs is the voltage passing through it into the car.

I did it. Got it home last night. 2013 SV with 24k miles.
2ltlc21.jpg

Back