New low price EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themotorman

I own a Leaf and have converted the EVSE so that I can charge at Level 2. I've been using it for 3 months, so I decided to start a company in these trying times and will modify your EVSE for only $149 (save yourself $100 from what others are charging). If you need information check out his website at http://www.fastchargeleaf.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or e-mail directly.

themotorman said:
I own a Leaf and have converted the EVSE so that I can charge at Level 2. I've been using it for 3 months, so I decided to start a company in these trying times and will modify your EVSE for only $149 (save yourself $100 from what others are charging). If you need information check out his website at http://www.fastchargeleaf.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or e-mail directly.

You say you converted the EVSE, but then refer to "his" website. Is this your company or someone else's?

Thanks.

davewill said:
Dude, you've either said way too much, or nowhere near enough...and your website isn't online, yet.

It's online.

From the website..
FastChargeLeaf.com charger conversion is the most inexpensive way to convert your 110 V Leaf factory charger to a 240 V fast charge system. Our system will allow you to use the charger that was supplied with your Leaf to connect directly to a 240V outlet at your residence. Just simply plug your charger in a standard 110V outlet, then plug our 240V extension cord into the NEW outlet that has added to your charger, It's that simple!. This will cut your charging time in 1/2 and save you $$$$, as you won't need to install a FAST CHARGE station at your home.

If you are not at home and still need to charge your Leaf, you can use the bypass outlet to allow 120V charging. Just plug it into any 120V outlet and charge your Leaf.

That doesn't clear things up much, though. The charger is in the car. The first thing that's unclear is whether this is a mod to the cordset or the car.

Quoted from link: "FastChargeLeaf.com charger conversion is the most inexpensive way to convert your 110 V Leaf factory charger to a 240 V fast charge system. Our system will allow you to use the charger that was supplied with your Leaf to connect directly to a 240V outlet at your residence. Just simply plug your charger in a standard 110V outlet, then plug our 240V extension cord into the NEW outlet that has added to your charger, It's that simple!. This will cut your charging time in 1/2 and save you $$$$, as you won't need to install a FAST CHARGE station at your home."

Does it have two cords? That sounds bad already.

How about post a picture of exactly what the mod looks like before everyone starts sending it in.

And why only twice as fast? Is this not 16a capable?

Sounds kind of like what jwallace3 was trying to do in this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5784

Plug into 120 and 240....Sounds like internals still run at 120 and 240 is sent to the relays, I would hope the relays are not bipassed also leaving the J1772 cord hot and without GFCI.

Are the safety features such as GFCI still functional?

More info and pictures would answer a lot of questions...

we are a tough group and very loyal once you have gained our trust.
If you want to compete here with that EVSE, you are going to have to match Ingineer's specs, service, performance and directness.
good luck with that.

richard said:
themotorman said:

You say you converted the EVSE, but then refer to "his" website. Is this your company or someone else's?

Thanks.
I suspect it is a typo. It should read "this" website instead of "his".

Site's down for me. Seems pretty clear from what others have posted that this is just using the EVSE as a 120v pilot signal generator (12a only I assume) and sending the 240 directly to the J-nozzle, as others have already attempted. Hopefully relays are used so the J contacts aren't left hot, but most likely GFCI is defeated. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Its a "google site" website..

Here is the "How does it work" page, wonder why he is using an L6-30, that is overkill...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How does it work
FastChargeLeaf.com charger conversion, FCL adapter , is the simplest, most inexpensive way to convert your 120 V Leaf factory EVSE adapter to a 240 V fast charge system. You must have a 240 volt outlet accessible where you are going to charge your LEAF. The FCL system will allow you to use the FCL modified EVSE adapter that was supplied with your Leaf to connect directly to a 240V outlet at your residence. You only need these simple three steps:

1. Plug your EVSE adapter into a standard 110V outlet,

2. Plug the L6-30 plug on your modified EVSE into a 240V L6-30 fixed receptacle.

3. Plug the J-plug into the LEAF charge port at the front of your LEAF.

Steps 1 and 2 may be left connected all the time and all you need to do when charging is to plug in the J-plug.

This will cut your charging time in 1/2 and save you $$$$, as you won't need to install a FAST CHARGE station at your home. ( saves about $2000 here!!!)

If you are not at home and still need to charge your Leaf, you can use the bypass outlet to allow 120V charging. Just plug it into any 120V outlet and charge your Leaf.

The blue charge status lights ( visible through the windshield ) on the Leaf will come on as usual and go off when fully charged. You may stop charging at any time and simply pull out the J-plug, then drive your LEAF. If a yellow warning light comes on in the LEAF's display, press the "START" button again to turn the system OFF and then press the brake and "START" as you usually do. The warning light will disappear. This light shows that you used a different method to connect to the line power than the original EVSE adapter.

Is you LEAF more than 15' away from you receptacle?

If you do not have 120V and 240V within the distance range provided by the original EVSE, we can provide you an extension cable up to 50'. Please contact us for pricing. We will need to know the length of extension and type of 240V fixed receptacle.

mitch672 said:
If a yellow warning light comes on in the LEAF's display, press the "START" button again to turn the system OFF and then press the brake and "START" as you usually do. The warning light will disappear. This light shows that you used a different method to connect to the line power than the original EVSE adapter.
Not much more information there, but I think we can infer from this statement that relays are NOT used to cut power to the nozzle when it is removed, or when the trigger is depressed.

fooljoe said:
mitch672 said:
If a yellow warning light comes on in the LEAF's display, press the "START" button again to turn the system OFF and then press the brake and "START" as you usually do. The warning light will disappear. This light shows that you used a different method to connect to the line power than the original EVSE adapter.
Not much more information there, but I think we can infer from this statement that relays are NOT used to cut power to the nozzle when it is removed, or when the trigger is depressed.

Sounds like he is using BOTH the 120 plug to generate the pilot signal, then connecting a 240V plug directly to the J-1772 AC power wires, ugh.

As the website is getting more information I have even more concerns...

The yellow "warning" light means something is wrong....I believe this mod splices into the J1772 cable to add the second 240V outlet bypassing the relays and other safety features. A properly built J1772 compliant EVSE will not trigger the warning light.

The on-board charger timer will not function in Level 2 mode. If you wish to use a timer for night charging (off-peak), then a inexpensive 120V outlet timer would be used.

The LEAF opens and closes the relays to calculate voltage and charging duration, broken timer supports the theory that the relays and safety devices are bypassed with an external splice.

As the housing of the electronics is never touched, we don't have to reseal the unit
The upgraded FCL will reduce the length of the factory Nissan EVSE charger/adapter by approximately three feet.

My guess is he bypasses much of the safety features of a proper EVSE. Maybe even just splices into the ehose....
(edit: just saw chris's post. Look for a picture of a splice!)
Also, good luck getting support by calling!

chris1howell said:
As the website is getting more information I have even more concerns...
The yellow "warning" light means something is wrong....I believe this mod splices into the J1772 cable to add the second 240V outlet bypassing the relays and other safety features. A properly built J1772 compliant EVSE will not trigger the warning light.
Wonderful. Just what we need considering the news stories about garage fires*. If true, it's almost criminal to offer this as a mod to the public.

* Yes, I know that even this hack is unlikely to cause a fire, but it's still got the capacity to generate more bad press.

The phone number was xxx xxx- xxxx when I first checked. It looks like it is a real number now.

I guess if you are just splicing a cable having an incomplete website isn't a big deal.

Back