Nissan Leaf Test Drive Tour Reports (Oct 1-3)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The LEAF handout (pictures of it posted above) says "LED headlights".

Maybe they look like a HID bulb because there is "one" LED, or one tight cluster of LEDs?

garygid said:
The LEAF handout (pictures of it posted above) says "LED headlights".

I posted this sometime back. The flashing lights are now changed from LED to HID, IIRC.

garygid said:
Let's start another thread for each day's drive reports?
Otherwise, the thread gets TOO long.

Well good luck w/ that. I've tried to post 'new' stuff regarding EVSE's that merrit a new thread ... only to find that "the powers that be", have gone and mearged it into (what has become) the colossal black hole, that is the one and only permittable EVSE thread. Yea, good luck trying to find anything in that monster.
:lol:

garygid said:
I think that there would be no reason to make the turn signals use HID bulbs, right?

See this ...

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/3093-Nissan-Leaf-100-Mile-Range-5-seat-EV-Announced?p=49547&viewfull=1#post49547

The brake lights and part of the headlights are still LED.
In a way having the turn signals be bulbs give a more customary / pleasant fade-in, fade-out effect during blinking.
I am actually pleased that they went with yellow bulbs instead of blinking the red brake LEDs.

PARIS, September 30, 2010 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Valeo and its partner in Japan, Ichikoh, have developed a new generation of LED front lighting systems, unveiled as a world premiere on the Nissan Leaf Electric Vehicle.
The Alliance's engineers have designed a cost-effective LED-based headlamp, combining enhanced illumination close to daylight and distinctive style. While the Nissan Leaf LED headlamp is cost and energy efficient, it delivers a high level of performance, with brighter light color on the road and a longer life span.
The optical system provides multiple innovative front lighting solutions: the collector and reflector are combined as a single thermoplastic part with no lens, giving it a more distinctive look than a conventional headlamp.
With a flux on the road of more than 500 lumens, the wide beam offers a good range and high homogeneity. Thanks to its color temperature of 5500K, it has been ranked at the level of HID lamps :!: during night test comparisons with different mass production headlamps.
This low beam module is the first on the market with efficient power consumption as low as 50W per vehicle, using only 2 LED per headlamp. The 2 LED-based design saves 30% more energy than the best 3 LED-based headlamps currently on the market (70W).
Compared with other light sources, it saves up to 49% with Xenon systems (90W) and 62% with Halogen (130W). The benefit is also very high for conventional internal combustion engine vehicles with an average CO2 saving of 1g per km.
Valeo and its partner Ichikoh are positioned as a major player on the booming LED front lighting market with the headlamps for the Nissan Leaf, the first mass market 100% Electric Vehicle. Valeo and Ichikoh are preparing for the future, working together on further innovative LED front lighting solutions.
Valeo is an independent industrial Group fully focused on the design, production and sale of components, integrated systems and modules for the automotive industry, mainly for CO2 emissions reduction. Valeo ranks among the world's top automotive suppliers. The Group has 117 plants, 21 Research centers, 40 Development centers, 10 distribution platforms and employs 56,000 people in 27 countries worldwide.
For more information about the Valeo Group and its activities, please visit our web site http://www.valeo.com.

My pics from Friday, Oct 1.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71336612@N00/sets/72157624955961913/

Also posted in Pictures and Videos.

Boomer23 said:

Great shots!!! Now I don't know what color I want. First wanted silver, now it's between red and blue. Thanks for posting these!!

Boomer23 said:

agreed -great pictures. Thinking it would be great to cross post on Facebook on the Nissan site too.

Boomer23 said:

Thanks for the photos. Us folks here on the east coast appreciate these and everyone's post on their take on the Leaf. Counting down the days until we can get in on the fun!

Boomer23 said:
storeman86 said:
I am disappointed with the way this event was handled. There was no presidence given to reservations, appointments or car buyers.

They did have high level people there from Nissan, so I think that an appeal to one of the staff to escalate the issue for a reservation holder would have done some good. If you find yourself in that situation today, I suggest that you find the highest level person you can find with a Nissan shirt on and explain your status and the issue. They do have the power to change the schedules.

By the way, there are two static Leafs that you can sit in and explore while you are waiting to drive one. A blue one is in the Expo Hall and there is a red one at the drive center area. That one is used by the tour groups, but there are gaps in their visits to it, so you should be able to work around them and sit in it.

Funniest accidentally funny comment I've heard yet:

At Alt Car yesterday, the Leafs were picking up a lot of chalk dust from the track surface on the parking lot, so they had detail guys with soft brushes to wipe away the dust periodically. I noticed it and made a comment. One lady who was exiting the car after a test drive said that she was sure that the cars were attracting dust because of static built up because of the EV batteries. :lol:

Boomer23 said:
By the way, there are two static Leafs that you can sit in and explore while you are waiting to drive one. A blue one is in the Expo Hall and there is a red one at the drive center area. That one is used by the tour groups, but there are gaps in their visits to it, so you should be able to work around them and sit in it.

We had three early yesterday morning....two were outside for the tour groups. Until, that is, they needed one for somebody who was clearly a VIP, and took it away for them to drive. I guess it never made it back!

Irrespective of, I had plenty of time to play around with the red one.....most of the tour group people seemed more interesting in getting in line for their drive and then staying there once they were.

Did anyone here make a video for the drive tour contest? I'm curious to know how the video interface is set-up. My daughter and I have been throwing out ideas for our pitch ;)

LBCev said:
Did anyone here make a video for the drive tour contest? I'm curious to know how the video interface is set-up. My daughter and I have been throwing out ideas for our pitch ;)

You stand there in front of that blue Leaf, then they give you a microphone and point a video camera at you. It's pretty rudimentary.

garygid said:
Two different features, being "shifted" into "P" (Park), and having the "Parking Brake" ON.

The Parking Brake lever has a small LED on it, presumably to indicate brake ON or OFF?

To start up, getting out of the accessory mode, being "shifted" into Park, pressing the foot-brake, not pressing the go-faster, having a working RFID (or the "key" from one), and pressing the "Start" button (perpaps only a momentary press) might all be necessary?
Yes, I'm not sure I'm going to like that parking brake, especially if the only indication of it is a tiny LED down where I wouldn't normally be looking. As for the rest, it sounds like straightforward Prius action, that my wife and I are very comfortable with.
1. Foot on the brake.
2. Touch the Start button, watch everything power up.
3. Shift into R (or D as the case may be).
4. Foot on the go pedal.

Having a working RFID is not something you will have to worry about. You will either have the Intelligent Key in your pocket or purse or you wont. If you don't, you won't even get into the car. If you do, its battery is good for years. The only time you would take the key out of it would be if your 12v battery went dead. The key would let you into the car so you can charge the battery, but the key won't let you start the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back