Nissan Offering Free Charging - "No Charge to Charge"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that I had read that the offer also includes 30 minutes of free QC charging per day. What's that, 60 miles or so? Can't complain about that.

Lou

gatedad11 said:
I thought that I had read that the offer also includes 30 minutes of free QC charging per day. What's that, 60 miles or so? Can't complain about that.

Lou
Hello Lou,

It depends on what your charging needs are as to whether to complain about the once per day QC. In our case we use the home L2 EVSE for all of our usual daily driving. The only time we would utilize the "free charging" is if we traveled outside of our local area. In this case we would still be limited to about 120 mile trip total if we took the freeway, 60 miles out, QC, and 60 miles back. That would be the max, and the QC would have to be at the other end of our trip. Otherwise, our max trip would be something much less, maybe only 75 miles total trip. Once again we are back to using the ICE for any trips that our home L2 will not provide us enough range.

It sounds to me like this is just another "Sales Gimmick" that really provides nothing. Even though the Nissan DCQC's are now no longer free, the L2 EVSE's at the dealerships will remain free anyway. I do not see how they could make them a part of the pay system without spending lots of $$$$$ to get rid of the home style EVSE and installing the networked EVSE's.

IMHO every new Leaf owner/lessee needs to have an L2 EVSE at their home that can provide the 6.6kw that maximizes the onboard charger. The only people that need access to the networks are those that either have no ability to get their own EVSE, or use their Leaf for lots of local/semi-local driving during the day and need multiple charges each day. In the later case, unlimited charging will work, but not a limit of once per day.

Randy said:
The press release says there will be more markets added, and you have to think that LA would be in that group...

True. It says:
After the rollout in the first 10 markets, Nissan plans to add "No Charge to Charge" and EZ-Charge at LEAF dealers in at least 15 additional markets during the following year. More details on the programs in these additional markets will be made available closer to their launch.

Still, since I just bought on April 25, it's unlikely I'd qualify for the program if they don't roll out L.A. until next year. Oh well.

You might. But will it be two years from when LA starts up, or two years from when you got the car?

Surprised Atlanta didn't make the initial list.

Details not out yet. Not all stations will be free. Could be a very limited promotion.

KJD said:
NYLEAF said:
ChargePoint has pulled out of this program.
http://insideevs.com/chargepoint-dr...ans-no-charge-to-charge-for-leaf-in-jeopardy/
Nissan must be furious.
Yes I am sure that Nissan is furious. I was in hopes that this program would actually make a difference, now not so sure.

The other problem with this program is that it needs to be done in all 50 states, not just their top 10 markets.
Yeah, I read about the pull out above and hope that Chargepoint and Nissan can still come to an agreement, even if it it means a separate card, # to call, etc. That's a hell of a lot better than what they have left. Blink is crap. Wouldn't want to depend on their equipment nor try my luck to not find L2s that are turned down to 16 amps.

AFAIK, eVgo's and AeroVironment's presence are miniscule here in the SF Bay Area. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any paid Aerovironment EVSEs or DC FCs in the Bay Area.

Graffi said:
Even though the Nissan DCQC's are now no longer free, the L2 EVSE's at the dealerships will remain free anyway.
There are at least two Nissan dealers in my area (MA) that still have free CHAdeMOs.

jlv said:
Graffi said:
Even though the Nissan DCQC's are now no longer free, the L2 EVSE's at the dealerships will remain free anyway.
There are at least two Nissan dealers in my area (MA) that still have free CHAdeMOs.

Seven of twelve are still free, but how much longer is a dealer by dealer decision. MA will be adding 15 QC donated by Nissan along highways sometime soon. Stay tuned.

Hi Leaf owners. I just got my Leaf at the end of May (2014 SL). Very happy with it. The dealer gave me an nrgevgo card to activate. When I called nrgevo to do so, they said the card was only free for 2 months, not 2 years. And they knew nothing about Chargepoint or any other networks being accessible. They said I could only use the card at nrgevgo chargers. So, I'm not sure how to arrange for 2 years of free charging. Maybe I'll get a notice in July? However, if it is only nrgevgo charging sites, I won't get much use of the free charging, whether it's 2 months or 2 years. There are very few of their chargers in the north part of the San Francisco Bay Area.
Richard

rfleming4 said:
Hi Leaf owners. I just got my Leaf at the end of May (2014 SL). Very happy with it. The dealer gave me an nrgevgo card to activate. When I called nrgevo to do so, they said the card was only free for 2 months, not 2 years. And they knew nothing about Chargepoint or any other networks being accessible. They said I could only use the card at nrgevgo chargers. So, I'm not sure how to arrange for 2 years of free charging. Maybe I'll get a notice in July? However, if it is only nrgevgo charging sites, I won't get much use of the free charging, whether it's 2 months or 2 years. There are very few of their chargers in the north part of the San Francisco Bay Area.
Richard

I got the 2-month NRGevgo card as well. I'm a month and a half in and I have yet to have a need to use an nrgevgo station, so it will probably go to waste.

The 2 years of free charging program is only for certain markets. San Diego is one of those markets, Los Angeles (where I am) is not. I'm not sure about San Francisco.
My suggestion would be to contact Nissan directly.

rfleming4 said:
Richard

sounds like the card is covering the gap between your purchase and the start of the program. the free access would be with the Nissan card, not the EVgO card anyway. better to have access to more stations anyway *while they last*

125mph said:
I understand the program started July 1st... how do I get my card? I leased a leaf in May.
What city are you located in? The program only covers certain areas.

I would start out by calling the salesperson you bought the car from.
The other option is to call Nissan LEAF Customer Support: 1-877-664-2738 (1-877-NO-GAS-EV)

KJD said:
125mph said:
I understand the program started July 1st... how do I get my card? I leased a leaf in May.
What city are you located in? The program only covers certain areas.

I would start out by calling the salesperson you bought the car from.
The other option is to call Nissan LEAF Customer Support: 1-877-664-2738 (1-877-NO-GAS-EV)

San Diego.., I think I should get mine! I will call the customer support.

Just contacted Nissan at the 877-664-2738 .. they said there was a mailing error that was corrected last week so everyone that didn't get the no charge card should be getting it.. they said if mine doesn't come by end of week, call back and they'll issue another one.

customer service was very good!!!

My EZ-Charge card, for the no charge to charge program, arrived in the mail July 24, 2014. The enclosed cover letter was from nrg eVgo, saying that my previous (given for free when I leased the car in April) eVgo access card will be deactivated as of July 30.
The registration process for the EZ-Charge card was long, and fairly simple except when it came to ChargePoint. A call to EZ-Charge told me I had to create a separate ChargePoint account rather than being able to link my existing ChargePoint account.
Various websites give contradictory information regarding ChargePoint's participation in the No Charge To Charge program. A call to ChargePoint customer service says that their stations will be free for the first hour, contradicting what was quoted on this site: http://green.autoblog.com/2014/07/09/ni" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... eaf-sales/
where it is implied that ChargePoint will participate in the EZ-Charge network but not the NCTC program. When I search PlugShare with the NCTC filter, I don't find the ChargePoint stations that I have used before. Phooey
And subsequently the PlugShare app released an "update" and the NCTC filter is no longer available. Double phooey. Going to the EZ-Charge website on my desktop computer, I don't see any ChargePoint stations showing up as being available through the NCTC program, just a few eVgo stations more than 5 miles from me, and none of them near my work. Not a useful program for me!

I stopped by at a blink QC location to try out my EZ Charge card today. I have a blink account created as part of EZ Charge card sign up, but do not have a separate blink card. The card scanned fine but the blink station informed me that it will cost me $5 for the QC session (even though I am in the No Charge to Charge program). I called the toll free number posted on the charging station, and the person on the line assured me I will not be charged for the QC session, and I should go ahead and accept the $5 charge message and proceed with the charging. I did just that. So far no $5 charge on my blink account. Hopefully I will not have to fight with blink and/or EZ Charge program on getting the charge reversed if it shows up later.

The charge location I used was:

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/13397" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The note in the PlugShare entry for the location states that quick charger is included in the No Charge to Charge but level 2 chargers are not.

Next stop: an eVgo location to make sure I can get a free QC using my EZ Charge card. I have already verified that Chargepoint stations do not recognize the EZ Charge card. Chargepoint website allowed me to add my EZ charge card into the account, but I haven't found any Chargepoint location that is in the No Charge to Charge program (and probably never will?).

Back