NISSAN to abandon CHAdeMO in favor of CCS?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DarthPuppy said:
Scary analogy regarding the 5" floppy disks. PC data storage and transfer went through quite a number of turnovers to get where we are today. IIRC, started with 8" floppies (dating myself), then 5" (first 360kb, then 1.2mb), then 3.5" (1.44mb) then zip drives (various iterations), then CD/DVD of different flavors and portable HDDs then finally thumb drives and cloud. That's 9+/- in 37 years I've been using computers. And that isn't counting tape drives and associated media options or SD, Micro-SD, XD, etc.. I do hope the automakers/governments can compress this down.
Hah! This is what I started off with (not counting playing Original Adventure and Star Trek on PDP-11/70s, or an even earlier period being notably unsuccessful trying to learn Fortran [punch cards!] in junior high so we could print pictures of Snoopy et al on computer graph paper using Xs): https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/Commodore_2001_Series-IMG_0448b.jpg

And people (me too) complain about 20 second waits for page loads - try 20 minutes to load or store an 8k program, and the Chiclet keyboard! :lol: To be fair, the full-screen editor and string arrays included in Commodore Basic made it much easier to write/edit programs compared to Apple II (pfffft!) and Atari 400/800, although the latter had the best graphics and sound. I had no experience with the TRS-80 aka Trash-80, so can't compare.

Rooting around in some long unopened boxes a while back, I came across some of the Original Adventure maps I made. For those who aren't familiar, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure

And just for completeness, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_(text_game)

Some things never change - I still often encounter situations using computers that can be accurately described as being in "a maze of little, twisty passages, all alike" :D

DarthPuppy said:
Scary analogy regarding the 5" floppy disks. PC data storage and transfer went through quite a number of turnovers to get where we are today. IIRC, started with 8" floppies (dating myself), then 5" (first 360kb, then 1.2mb), then 3.5" (1.44mb) then zip drives (various iterations), then CD/DVD of different flavors and portable HDDs then finally thumb drives and cloud. That's 9+/- in 37 years I've been using computers. And that isn't counting tape drives and associated media options or SD, Micro-SD, XD, etc.. I do hope the automakers/governments can compress this down.

You forgot to mention the 1st "Plus Hardcards", i.e. 5 - 10 MB drive on a 13" X 4" card (1/2 the area for the
controller) for increasing storage capacity in the IBM type 1st gen PCs. How about the 1st Intel DRAM - 1K bytes
and using PMOS?

Reddy said:
However, I think Tony Williams has been the most "enthusiastic" participant on this topic. I think I remember him saying something about how the current Chademo/CSS standard will eventually be surpassed by something (maybe Level 3??) much faster as future batteries get larger or have higher internal voltages. This makes technical sense, just like today most people are using internet connectivity,

Yes, charging times will definitely need to keep pace with increased battery capacities, even decrease faster
than the increase in capacities, i.e. to augment the acceptance rate of the BEV.

Oh wow, I remember that Star Trek text game. Spent a lot of time on it. I also remember the PDP 11/70, then Apple II and CPM based machines before IBM wiped those out. I remember Apple almost died. :cry:

I thought the hard card was just another hdd mounted on a card rather than taking up a drive bay? My XT had 2 5" half-height floppies plus a full height 10MB hdd. To get more, there was the hardcard option, but at the time, I never figured I could use anywhere near the full 10MB. Instead, I went with the aftermarket ram upgrade to get it up to 640kb of ram, which didn't Bill Gates once say that would be more than enough for anyone?

DarthPuppy said:
I also remember the PDP 11/70, then Apple II and CPM based machines before IBM wiped those out. I remember Apple almost died.

The CPM card was the best Apple II upgrade. Then no need to write 6800 assembly code to improve the
Apple II.

DarthPuppy said:
I thought the hard card was just another hdd mounted on a card rather than taking up a drive bay?

Yes, but it wasted a slot on the motherboard.

Back