Nissan to announce official Battery Replacement Program soon

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so are some of you saying above that time is a battery degradation factor that nissan underestimated, and that it has as significant an impact as do miles driven, and battery cycling?

and also that time coupled with heat is the most significant factor in loss of range?

separately, I didnt get the observation that nissan assumed few of us would be charging outside at night.
I do that daily. (is the charge outside reference a reference to it being hot or cool?)

thankyouOB said:
so are some of you saying above that time is a degradation factor greater than miles?

My personal anecdotal experience is that despite driving over 10,000 miles during the winter I saw virtually no degradation. No sooner it got warm again, measurable degradation resumed.

I would say its primarily a factor of heat multiplied by the time at that uncomfortable heat that appears to degrade my battery the most. It's not heat or time, its heat AND time.

thankyouOB said:
so are some of you saying above that time is a degradation factor greater than miles?
Yes, that is what I'm saying. It seems to be true for most applications of the LEAF in the United States. SFLeafGuy is likely an exception because of the high mileage and cool temperatures.

One way "miles" acts is a double whammy for the LEAF battery is that all the charging and discharging keeps the battery hot for a much longer period of time.

On weekends, when I use the Volt and the LEAF stays idle, the battery temperature can fall into the 80s. During the week, when I use the LEAF, the battery temperature stays in the 90s or low 100s all the time. Air temperature is the same on weekends as it is during the week. It's just that with all the charging and discharging during the week, the LEAF battery never has time to cool off.

Weatherman said:
One way "miles" acts is a double whammy for the LEAF battery is that all the charging and discharging keeps the battery hot for a much longer period of time.

On weekends, when I use the Volt and the LEAF stays idle, the battery temperature can fall into the 80s. During the week, when I use the LEAF, the battery temperature stays in the 90s or low 100s all the time. Air temperature is the same on weekends as it is during the week. It's just that with all the charging and discharging during the week, the LEAF battery never has time to cool off.
+1

This is also because the thermal design of the cooling system in the LEAF tends to operate as a track-and-hold system for temperature. When you drive the LEAF, the battery tends to move to the ambient temperature, but when you park the LEAF, it tends to hold the temperature it had when it was last moving. (Put another way, the thermal resistance is much lower when moving than when not moving.) The big issue with this approach is when people commute home in the heat of the afternoon, their battery gets heated up to or above that afternoon ambient temperature and then when it is parked at home, it takes a very long time to release the heat because of the higher thermal time constant.

LTLFTcomposite said:
So how many weeks in a "soon" ?

within a short period after this or that time, event, etc.: We shall know soon after he calls.
before long; in the near future; at an early date: Let's leave soon.
promptly or quickly: He came as soon as he could.
readily or willingly: I would as soon walk as ride.
early in a period of time; before the time specified is much advanced: soon at night; soon in the evening.

uwskier20 said:
Do you work for Nissan? I see no demagoguery here. thankyouOB and others are rightfully pissed off!
Do you work for fossil fuel industry ?

His diatribe against the first large OEM to spend Billions to make an EV show nothing but demagoguery. As I wrote it is "death panels" all over again. What he says is patently false.

evnow said:
uwskier20 said:
Do you work for Nissan? I see no demagoguery here. thankyouOB and others are rightfully pissed off!
Do you work for fossil fuel industry ?

His diatribe against the first large OEM to spend Billions to make an EV show nothing but demagoguery. As I wrote it is "death panels" all over again. What he says is patently false.

Dudes!!

Stop bickering!!

JPWhite said:
Dudes!!

Stop bickering!!
Sorry. I wasn't trying to troll or cause a ruckus.

I just don't see how some can think Nissan should somehow be shielded from criticism, given all that has taken place.

uwskier20 said:
Sorry. I wasn't trying to troll or cause a ruckus.
But that was the result.

I just don't see how some can think Nissan should somehow be shielded from criticism, given all that has taken place.
Criticism and a lie are not the same thing.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Tell him I'll gladly pay him Tuesday if he ever gets around to telling us how much.
And maybe it shows I lean more to Disney than to Beckett, but I still expect that whenever they get around to telling us it will be a nice surprise that will show the cost of ownership of a Leaf to be at least not worse than a comparable ICE and probably substantially better.

it is stealing the battery if Nissan does not offer anything for it and at the same time offers the same battery lease price to a person who leases the car and does not own it or the battery.
-add to that bit of odiousness that the lease is perpetual; as long as you want your car to run you MUST keep paying Nissan $100 a month.
-and, you can never get your old battery back, if you want out of the lease.
(yes, i know this was just the preliminary announcement and we await final details.)

the SYB name has stuck because it rings with truth.

Nissan is wrong to not offer the part for sale. it is the most important part of the car and the most expensive. there never was a hint in their salesmanship that the part would not be sold. as others have said, it may very well be illegal to sell a vehicle without offering a key replacement part for sale.
you can call it a lie and call it whatever you want, but you do not change the facts with name-calling.

as to hating on Nissan; that is far from the truth
i still am pleased with my LEAF but as the range shortens the attractiveness and value as a vehicle dwindles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back